Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Western_1
Post subject: Re: DDG-1000 Sea trialsPosted: December 14th, 2015, 4:44 am
By the way, do we have a up to date Zumwalt model here on Shipbucket? I am super tempted to design a CG(X) at some point and would like a scale reference.

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: DDG-1000 Sea trialsPosted: December 15th, 2015, 8:15 pm
Judah14 wrote:
seeker36340 wrote:
Krakatoa, the Turtle would need a pretty stout drill bit to cut into the hull. *lol*
No need for a drill, just replace it with a shaped-charge warhead, which will be more effective against modern warship hulls.
That would do it *lol* The crew seems a bit overworked

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: DDG-1000 Sea trialsPosted: December 17th, 2015, 11:11 pm
krases wrote:
By the way, do we have a up to date Zumwalt model here on Shipbucket? I am super tempted to design a CG(X) at some point and would like a scale reference.
The current drawing is probably five years old. It's to scale in the very broadest of senses, but woefully out of date. Unfortunately, reference material newer than c. 2012 (as-built, rather than as-designed) remains very hard to come by.

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: DDG-1000 Sea trialsPosted: December 22nd, 2015, 5:20 am
Found another great pics from construction. So one of the other design advantages to this is that not only does it look like a small fishing vessel when its on radar, but it also needs to be a lot closer for it to be detected. So by the time its detected, its already detected you for some time. It also blends well with rough seas. Also, radar guided weapons have that much harder of a time working against it. Not only during the ship guided portion of a missiles journey, but the terminal period when the missile uses its own radar.

If I were designing a CG(X), I would give it a pretty heavy compliment of UAV's. That way the ship can go silent running while drones/aircraft do the actual searching.

Another interesting fact: the ships gas turbine engines don't power the drive shafts directly. They pump power to a pair of electric motors that power the turbines.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: DDG-1000 Sea trialsPosted: December 22nd, 2015, 3:03 pm
while here in Norway and Sweden, we have done it or several years now... it's called the skjold class and Visby class.

Sorry just had to. This is just so old news that I have grown a epic man bear... literally.

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: DDG-1000 Sea trialsPosted: December 22nd, 2015, 4:27 pm
I don't think the US does Corvettes. The littoral combat ships are the closest thing we have and those are 4-5 times the size of a Visby.

[Profile] [Quote]
iiradned
Post subject: Re: DDG-1000 Sea trialsPosted: December 23rd, 2015, 9:53 am
Further examination of the video yields that USS Zumwalt is currently sporting 4 commercial type radars. Two on top the deckhouse forward and one on each aft corner of the hangar.

Hopefully they're only there for the trials and not when she is commissioned.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: DDG-1000 Sea trialsPosted: December 23rd, 2015, 10:09 am
Why?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: DDG-1000 Sea trialsPosted: December 23rd, 2015, 2:02 pm
iiradned wrote:
Further examination of the video yields that USS Zumwalt is currently sporting 4 commercial type radars. Two on top the deckhouse forward and one on each aft corner of the hangar.

Hopefully they're only there for the trials and not when she is commissioned.
Those are Navigational radars.... any ships need Navigation radars. and those going to stay.

all the other radars have nothing to do with stealth... just a little (an added bonus), Just look at we do in Norway with our skjold class, it have conventional navigational radar, and 3D radar... but still manage to look smaller that a row-boat on the radar... and as we all know: "It's bloody dame frustrating to not be able to see the target that have just taken out a couple of you'r ships" that is Skjold class advantage.

Zumwalt is just the same... but on a much, much, much bigger platform.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: DDG-1000 Sea trialsPosted: December 26th, 2015, 2:47 pm
[anyone posts anything about anything]

NORWAYNORWAYNORWAYNORWAYNORWAYNORWAYNORWAYNORWAYNORWAYNORWAYNORWAYNORWAYNORWAY

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: