Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Worst building disaster of the Dreadnought era?Posted: April 27th, 2016, 7:48 pm
Thank you all for your replies.

Garlicdesign is spot on with his hints and obviously knows the answer.

My take on the worst building disaster of the Dreadnought era was the French Danton class Battleships. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_battleship_Danton )

The French had made wrong conclusions about the Russo-Japanese war and the Tsushima battle. While the Dreadnought was completed and commissioned 02/12/1906, the Dantons were not even laid down till 1907. France built six battleships that were completely obsolete before they were even laid down. As GD pointed out, the six ships also tied up a lot of building resources and meant that the next real Dreadnought type (Courbet Class) ships did not get laid down till 1910-11.

I think that qualifies as a building disaster of epic proportions.

It also gave me a bit of time to do a couple of kitbashes to show what may have been.

First drawing is Alvamas original Danton Class with the 4x12" 12 x 9.4"
[ img ]

Second drawing is of the proposed change to make the twin 9.4" into single 12"
[ img ]

Third drawing is my take on what Danton may have looked like if the French had gone with the lozenge arrangement the Germans and Japanese started with (12x12")
[ img ]

The French then had 36 twin 9.4" turrets to do something with. The next drawing is just one possibility of how the turrets could have been used.
[ img ]

Last edited by Krakatoa on April 29th, 2016, 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: Worst building disaster of the Dreadnought era?Posted: April 27th, 2016, 7:55 pm
Ahhh so this was the epic desaster...I forgot the that France has some weird battleships in WWI

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Worst building disaster of the Dreadnought era?Posted: April 27th, 2016, 8:01 pm
Garlicdesign wrote:
Come on people, that's not really a hard question, is it? What on earth could possibly be disastrous about the Iron Dukes or the Kongos??
That's why I didn't understand, it seemed too wrong.
But well, yes, I made the mistake of not considering the Dantons at all because they were NOT Dreadnoughts! I should have thought a bit outside the box, after all it was "dreadnought era" not "dreadnought battleship/battlecruiser".
Basically, they are so bad that I din't even contemplated them in a list of bad ships. :lol:

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Worst building disaster of the Dreadnought era?Posted: April 28th, 2016, 5:36 am
Danton Class, definitely Danton class

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Worst building disaster of the Dreadnought era?Posted: May 27th, 2016, 7:22 am
Garlicdesign wrote:
Hello everyone!

Come on people, that's not really a hard question, is it? What on earth could possibly be disastrous about the Iron Dukes or the Kongos??

The dreadnought in question is... well... NOT a dreadnought, with a mixed caliber armament and 1890s vintage center pivot turrets! And the real disastrous thing about it: They ordered six of them as late as 1906, blocking all yards capable of building dreadnoughts in the whole country for four years.

Enough hints? ;)

Greetings
GD
BTW,
I have nothing to reproach to the drawing of Alvama, but quality standards have greatly increased since then, so to me it seems an update of this "désatre" would be appropriate .
So as (to me) you're the greatest expert on french style (and others).........
Pleeeeeeeease.............. :D

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: