Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Graham1973
Post subject: Wanted: A good naval combat simulation programPosted: May 7th, 2016, 7:12 am
Hi,

I am looking for a good naval combat simulation program covering the WWI - WWII period (not World of Warships) that allows warship/scenario customisation. The last one I know of was a 1990's DOS based program called 'Action Stations' but I am looking for something a bit more recent. I am thinking of testing out some combat sequences from various novels I have and something along these lines would be very helpful.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Wanted: A good naval combat simulation programPosted: May 7th, 2016, 7:27 am
I still use Action Stations, Graham. Only thing it does not have is the pretty pictures. I would say that it is different from version to version, some of the latest iterations had much better reporting than others. The ability to swap-add units to battles and make your own is very good for a DOS based program.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Wanted: A good naval combat simulation programPosted: May 7th, 2016, 8:46 am
There is also Atlantic Fleet, a turn-based naval sim reviewed at Wesworld: http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?pa ... post141779

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Wanted: A good naval combat simulation programPosted: May 8th, 2016, 1:52 am
Thanks to both of you, I think I've managed to find a copy of Action Stations, now to locate a copy of DOS box so I can run it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Wanted: A good naval combat simulation programPosted: May 8th, 2016, 2:16 am
Action Stations is 'Abandonware' so can be sourced for free from places like Abandonia and other sites.

If you do like WW1 & 2 battles then it is worth a play with. If you have some skills with PC's you should be able to work out how to add more ships to the ship register. All those AU ships you have seen here in SB could be added to the game to see how they go against 'real' opposition. Great fun.

It is purely surface warfare, aircraft are down to observation off the ships. No carriers in sight.

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Wanted: A good naval combat simulation programPosted: May 8th, 2016, 10:22 am
Krakatoa wrote:
Action Stations is 'Abandonware' so can be sourced for free from places like Abandonia and other sites.

If you do like WW1 & 2 battles then it is worth a play with. If you have some skills with PC's you should be able to work out how to add more ships to the ship register. All those AU ships you have seen here in SB could be added to the game to see how they go against 'real' opposition. Great fun.

It is purely surface warfare, aircraft are down to observation off the ships. No carriers in sight.
I've managed to locate a copy. Now all I have to do is figure out how to edit the Bismark file to get the result I need. Then just work out how to create the needed scenario.

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Wanted: A good naval combat simulation programPosted: May 9th, 2016, 3:56 am
Krakatoa

Got your PM, cannot reply yet by PM, supposedly I have not 'participated' enough to do so. Editing the Denmark Strait scenario is part of it, but I also need to edit the Bismark herself to simulate a specific 'modification' from the 'List of Ships in Fiction'.

Hope that helps.

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Wanted: A good naval combat simulation programPosted: August 1st, 2016, 3:30 pm
Has anyone got a copy of the Action Stations manual? I cannot figure out how to modify the scenarios, I suspect that the manual would be a big help.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Wanted: A good naval combat simulation programPosted: August 1st, 2016, 7:57 pm
http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Comm ... puters.htm

Ctrl-A to select all
Ctrl-C to copy
Ctrl-V to paste

Could paste into any txt program.

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Wanted: A good naval combat simulation programPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 1:42 am
Krakatoa wrote:
http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Comm ... puters.htm

Ctrl-A to select all
Ctrl-C to copy
Ctrl-V to paste

Could paste into any txt program.
Thanks, that is a real help, once I have some of the modified ship files ready I'll post them here. Modified scenario files are going to take a little longer I suspect.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: