Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
heuhen
Post subject: Norwegian soldier to receive the "War Cross with one sword"Posted: May 8th, 2016, 2:07 pm
A Norwegian soldier is to receive the Norwegian "War cross with one sword"

The Norwegian Espen Haugeland (36), is given the "War cross" medal with one sword, for his action in Kabul, Afghanistan.

With out thinking, he jumped on an suicide bomber and prevented the suicide bomber from detonating it's bomb, he and his colleague arrested the suicide bomber as well.

The Norwegian "War cross with sword" is an medal that very rarely is given to people or military personnel. it has been awarded to only 289 people, to this day. (Quote: wiki: It is awarded for extraordinary brave actions or extraordinary leadership during combat. A recipient deemed worthy of additional citations will receive up to an additional two swords on the medal ribbon in addition to the "standard" single sword. Additional citations are rare: Gunnar Sønsteby is the only person to have received the War Cross with three swords (more appropriately known as "War Cross with sword and two swords").)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Cross_(Norway)

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hexelarity
Post subject: Re: Norwegian soldier to receive the "War Cross with one swoPosted: May 8th, 2016, 10:07 pm
Have you heard of the Penguin that was Knighted? and love that you love Norway

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Norwegian soldier to receive the "War Cross with one swoPosted: May 9th, 2016, 10:45 pm
@Hexelarity: you do know that Heuhen is our own "Norske gutt", right? If not, check all his recent posts! Only a Norwegian could post those... and, yes, would sometimes want to gag him for saying how many times he loves his Norway!
I dunno, Oslo is the only city that I've visited where I actually has gotten solicited! (nudge, nudge, eh, eh, you know what I mean, wink wink?!?)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norwegian soldier to receive the "War Cross with one swoPosted: May 10th, 2016, 12:16 am
bezobrazov wrote:
Oslo is the only city that I've visited where I actually has gotten solicited! (nudge, nudge, eh, eh, you know what I mean, wink wink?!?)

That's Oslo... rest of Norway, it's quit interesting...

I wrote the topic not for brag about Norway. I wrote it, due to that a soldier getting the "War Cross" is so rare, that it is even rarer than "Victoria Cross", specially the "War cross with three sword" (only 1 person have received it) and it can be given to people in other country's.

American forum user write about things in US, British forum users write about things from UK. so of course I write about things from Norway, I can almost nothing about US or UK.. so it goes that way.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Norwegian soldier to receive the "War Cross with one swoPosted: May 10th, 2016, 2:21 am
I applaud your reasons Henrik. It is a great honour.

New Zealand is slightly smaller population than Norway, but since WW2, we have only had one winner of the Victoria Cross in 2007.

That was also a great honour for our Military people.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hexelarity
Post subject: Re: Norwegian soldier to receive the "War Cross with one swoPosted: May 10th, 2016, 2:23 am
heuhen wrote:
bezobrazov wrote:
Oslo is the only city that I've visited where I actually has gotten solicited! (nudge, nudge, eh, eh, you know what I mean, wink wink?!?)

That's Oslo... rest of Norway, it's quit interesting...

I wrote the topic not for brag about Norway. I wrote it, due to that a soldier getting the "War Cross" is so rare, that it is even rarer than "Victoria Cross", specially the "War cross with three sword" (only 1 person have received it) and it can be given to people in other country's.

American forum user write about things in US, British forum users write about things from UK. so of course I write about things from Norway, I can almost nothing about US or UK.. so it goes that way.
still glad theres people that love norway

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Norwegian soldier to receive the "War Cross with one swoPosted: May 10th, 2016, 6:50 pm
(Henrik, you DO know I was just kidding...as a Swede should properly do with a Norwegian and the other way around! 8-) 8-) ;) ;) )

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norwegian soldier to receive the "War Cross with one swoPosted: May 10th, 2016, 7:11 pm
Wait... All those thing we say about Swedes are just jokes? I need to rethink my life, and the world as I have been seeing it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Norwegian soldier to receive the "War Cross with one swoPosted: May 10th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Sounds like the Dutch and Belgians, NZ and Australia, and many other rivalries that give rise to many humorous 'jokes' that can be used both ways. You should see all the 'sheep' jokes that are told for both Australia and New Zealand.

All good fun.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norwegian soldier to receive the "War Cross with one swoPosted: May 10th, 2016, 8:18 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
(Henrik, you DO know I was just kidding...as a Swede should properly do with a Norwegian and the other way around! 8-) 8-) ;) ;) )
of course I know you was joking, I was talking about other comments.

It's like the joke about those Swedes, building a house...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: