Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Hood
Post subject: Battle of JutlandPosted: May 31st, 2016, 7:43 am
Today marks the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Jutland.

Although thankfully not as overshadowed as I thought it might have been by commemorations of the Battle of the Somme, so far our mania of such commemorations since September 2014 seem to have totally ignored all the other major naval battles of the war and even the Dardanelles campaign (at least in the UK). Given the outpouring of books on such topics as the 100 year mark rolls round (the Titanic sinking being the last major maritime event to spawn a commemoration industry back in 2012) there seems to be little new on Jutland which is rather surprising, though there was an interesting documentary on the TV last week.

I'll be taking a moment out of today to reflect on the events and the men lost, whether or not it was a victory or not is of little significance when so many young men died within a few hours.

Some two years ago Bombhead had an idea to represent every ship of both nation's in SB, but alas soon after he drifted away from this site and owing to other projects little work has been done since and the ambitious scheme never came to pass but there are several British and German ships now represented as they were that day.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Battle of JutlandPosted: May 31st, 2016, 8:18 am
The only British Battleship class that I can think of that does not have an entry yet is the Neptune-Colossus (Hercules) classes.

Pretty much all of the rest of the combatants from destroyers to cruisers to the big boys have been done for both sides.

Edit:

The other line of ships I can not remember seeing is the Gem to Bellona class Scout cruisers 1904-1910.

I have looked at doing both, but I do not have the resources to do them justice.

Last edited by Krakatoa on May 31st, 2016, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Morten812
Post subject: Re: Battle of JutlandPosted: May 31st, 2016, 9:08 am
A memorial has been raised in Denmark to mark the anniversary of the battle:

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/regionale/midt ... te-soeslag

Text only in Danish.

Morten Jensen
Randers
Denmark

Traffic Manager

Last edited by Morten812 on May 31st, 2016, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Battle of JutlandPosted: May 31st, 2016, 11:14 am
A short and interesting article from a different point of view.
http://theconversation.com/maths-swayed ... seas-59760

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Battle of JutlandPosted: May 31st, 2016, 11:42 am
Another set of quotes and outcomes from Jutland/Skagerak. My favourite has always been "The German Fleet has assaulted its jailor, but it is still in jail."

http://www.battle-of-jutland.com/jutlan ... uences.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Battle of JutlandPosted: May 31st, 2016, 1:10 pm
Had it not been for the recklessness and incompetence of David Beatty a lot less brave RN sailors would have died that day. I think it's important to remember his role in the battle as well as his shameless attempts to cover up his short comings after the event while as First Sea Lord.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Battle of JutlandPosted: May 31st, 2016, 1:36 pm
A very good read on how some of these 'famous' Admirals got their starts is to read about one of the greatest Feuds in the Royal Navy from the late 1800's through the early 1900's between Admirals Jackie Fisher and Lord Charles Beresford. That feud impacted directly on who would be commanding what during WW1. Patronage from either Admiral could make or break your career.

Beatty owed his patronage to Lord Beresford where Jellicoe was a Fisher appointee. So you can see where the feud continues through WW1 and beyond.

A lot of Beatty's obtuseness is because of the feud. As soon as possible after the battle, Beatty was blaming Jellicoe for the losses and the lost chance to defeat the German Fleet. Of course he said nothing about disobeying orders and getting his battlecruisers shot to hell. As Charybdis says, Beatty was incompetent. Where Jellicoe won the strategic battle, Beatty lost the tactical battle and three battlecruisers as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Battle of JutlandPosted: May 31st, 2016, 9:57 pm
A 100 years had gone by but the memories are still with us, all those who had lost their lives, must be remembered and hopefully a war such as that one, 100 years ago will never be fought again.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Battle of JutlandPosted: June 1st, 2016, 6:44 am
Hello again!
Krakatoa wrote:
The only British Battleship class that I can think of that does not have an entry yet is the Neptune-Colossus (Hercules) classes.
The other line of ships I can not remember seeing is the Gem to Bellona class Scout cruisers 1904-1910. I have looked at doing both, but I do not have the resources to do them justice.
No worries there, Krakatoa. I think I have. ;)

No promises though as to how quickly they will appear. And the K.G.V.s, and the Weymouth-class light cruisers, for that matter, which I have not found in the Archive or the Forum, either. I have collected some sources about them too, although the Bellonas are extremely poorly documented in the WWW and the drawing in Conway's lacks a lower hull.

There's a lot more stuff yet undone, AFAIK. Someone seems to have drawn the Iron Dukes (the class ship anyway), but the Forum page does not show images, at least on my computer, and they apparently were not uploaded - neither were the Bellerophons, St.Vincents and some of the Invincibles, which have been drawn to an extremely good standard. Besides, there are a lot of subclasses of light cruisers which have not been drawn yet, not to talk of a zillion variants of British destroyer designs and - as far as I can tell - the Indefatigable-class battlecruisers.

Well, since the word anniversary contains the latin 'annus', we'll have all year for these...

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
beachedwhale911
Post subject: Re: Battle of JutlandPosted: June 5th, 2016, 5:02 pm
Garlicdesign wrote:
Hello again!
Krakatoa wrote:
The other line of ships I can not remember seeing is the Gem to Bellona class Scout cruisers 1904-1910. I have looked at doing both, but I do not have the resources to do them justice.
No worries there, Krakatoa. I think I have. ;)

No promises though as to how quickly they will appear. And the K.G.V.s, and the Weymouth-class light cruisers, for that matter, which I have not found in the Archive or the Forum, either. I have collected some sources about them too, although the Bellonas are extremely poorly documented in the WWW and the drawing in Conway's lacks a lower hull.

There's a lot more stuff yet undone, AFAIK. Someone seems to have drawn the Iron Dukes (the class ship anyway), but the Forum page does not show images, at least on my computer, and they apparently were not uploaded - neither were the Bellerophons, St.Vincents and some of the Invincibles, which have been drawn to an extremely good standard. Besides, there are a lot of subclasses of light cruisers which have not been drawn yet, not to talk of a zillion variants of British destroyer designs and - as far as I can tell - the Indefatigable-class battlecruisers.
I've been working on various composites and posting them to Reddit for a couple months and just began a series on Jutland (latest http://i.imgur.com/8MyOd1B.png). All German ships have been drawn in detail (thanks Garlicdesign-your name is on almost every ship on my WIP composite). These are the British ship classes in the battle and the status of the drawing.

Battleships

Bellerophon-similar drawing (Dreadnought) available

St. Vincent-similar drawing (Dreadnought) available

Neptune-No suitable drawing

Colossus-No suitable drawing

Orion-drawn 1910

King George V-similar drawings (Erin and Iron Duke) available

Iron Duke-drawn, needs updating

Agincourt-drawn 1914 and 1918

Erin-drawn 1915

Canada-drawn 1916

Queen Elizabeth-drawn 1913

Revenge-drawn 1916

Battlecruisers

Invincible-drawn 1914

Indefatiguable-HMAS Australia drawn, needs updating (Indefatiguable misspelled)

Lion-Lion and Princess Royal drawn in 1916

Queen Mary-similar drawing (a Lion) exists

Tiger-drawn 1913

Armored Cruisers

Devonshire-No suitable drawing

Duke of Edinburgh-HMS Duke of Edinburgh drawn 1906 and 1917, HMS Black Prince drawn 1916

Warrior-No suitable drawing

Minotaur-No suitable drawing

Light Cruisers

Town: Bristol-drawn 1911

Town: Weymouth-similar drawing exists

Town: Chatham-drawn 1912

Town: Birmingham-similar drawings exist, HMAS Adelaide in 1939 unsuitable

Town: Birkenhead-drawn 1916

Arethusa-drawn 1914 and 1919

C: Caroline-drawn 1914 (and 2000)

C: Calliope-similar drawing (Caroline) exists

C: Cambrian-similar drawing (Caroline) exists

Boadicea-No suitable drawing

Blonde-No suitable drawing

Active-No suitable drawing

Destroyers

Acheron (I)-similar drawing (Acorn) exists

Acasta (K)-HMS Achates, HMS Shark, and HMS Spitfire drawn in Jutland configuration

Laforey (L)-similar drawing (Admiralty M) exists

Admiralty M-drawing exists

Yarrow M-similar drawing (Admiralty M) exists

Talisman-No suitable drawing

Faulknor-No suitable drawing

Marksman-No suitable drawing

Personally, I am fine putting in similar ships for the current composites and updating them later, but long term this is the list. There may be other drawings that were never posted here (which is how I found Iron Duke), but I have not found them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: