Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] 
heuhen
Post subject: earthquake in Italy.Posted: August 24th, 2016, 3:26 pm
Is sad to her what have happend in Italy. earthquake in an area not common for earthquake and city that are almost no more.

My condolence

But as Jeremy Clarkson say: "but anyway... this ship..."

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: earthquake in Italy.Posted: August 24th, 2016, 4:17 pm
It was strong enough to be felt (and wake me up) here in Rome, over 100km away. Once again around 3.30 AM, once again around 6.0 strong on the richter scale, just like the one in Aquila 7 years ago. I've basically spent the rest of the night awake. One of my friends was in Amatrice, near the epicenter, with his family, luckily they are all safe. It truly felt like the Aquila Earthquake all over again (had friends there too back then, all safe that time too).
To be noted, this weekend there is a food festival for the "Amatriciana", the well known Italian dish with pasta, like every year in late August. So there were not only local residents there but also visitors from other parts of Italy as well.

However Heuhen, the area was not uncommon for erthquakes. The whole Appenine mountains lies on the border between the European and African plate, and recognized as a high-siesmic zone http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/SoleOnLi ... 64a992e1a0. Earthquakes happened around Amatrice in 1730, and even recently, there were earthquakes in nearby Umbria (Assisi, 1997), and Abruzzi (Aquila -45km to the south-, 2009). The main problem is that most structures in those small rural towns are from the 1700s or older. And most lacks siesmic retrofits.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: earthquake in Italy.Posted: August 24th, 2016, 4:34 pm
As normal I am to fast on my keyboard... but interesting that it could be felt all the way down to Rome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: