Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Chevrokia
Post subject: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 3rd, 2010, 8:39 pm
Was reading some stuff about the Super Bug and came across this, which I found rather interesting:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 3rd, 2010, 8:41 pm
I hope they do, and pull the netherlands with them to buy some E/F's.... nothing as ugly as an jsf :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 4th, 2010, 3:56 am
That's interesting, seems like more and more people are running away from the F-35...

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 4th, 2010, 7:52 am
Interesting, I wonder wether this is just a rumor or if it is actually being evaluated by the Royal Navy itself.
This article on the other hand is a good sign, becouse it would mean the carriers aren't going to be cancelled.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 4th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Colosseum wrote:
That's interesting, seems like more and more people are running away from the F-35...

IF this is true (big if), then it is one branch dropping out of one part of the program, albeit the most expensive part of the program. If it is true, then I think serious consideration needs to be made if the F-35B should even be built, as cutting it would result in a cost savings. The Marines could still fly F-35Cs off of carrier decks, they just couldn't run them off of the LHA/LHDs.

[Profile] [Quote]
didibii
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 6:50 am
Colosseum wrote:
Yea it is very true,most of the countrys that where going to buy the f-35 are ditching it their is about 3 countrys that are planing to ditch the f-35 (but not decided yet just planing).And the reson for it is becoues the US is raising the cost of the plane way too much and making it way too expensiv to buy so some countrys are ditching the program.its a waste of money (that is what they are thinking...)I do like american planes alot but this plane costs way more then it can do.It's like i would rather get the rafel (i cant spell the name right its that new french plane).

2.Mary celeste (All most done 40% completed)
4.German CV europa (dont know if i should do it)

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 8:56 am
You mean the Dassault Rafale. It is indeed an outstanding plane, but you should even better go for the Saab Gripen NG:

[ img ]

Look at that weapons payload! Besides that, it carries a stronger radar, has increased fuel capacitity, has a longer range and is way faster that the F-35 (even without afterburner)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 10:25 am
This is news to me...

Whilst I adore the Gripen NG it's not exactly "better" than either the Typhoon or the Rafale. Namely because they are both in production as opposed to a prototype current production Gripens allegedly have probelms with their radar guiding them towards wind turbines as well meaning they have to fly 40km+ around them. As well., tking Gripen over a navalized Typhoon or the Rafale doesn't make much sense because there's a lack of redundancy only having the one engine, lack of payload both in fuel an ordnance. This said though if the RN and RAF replaced the F-35 with a Sopwith pup I'd think they'd of made the right choice. The JSF is completely unnecessary for the sort of conflicts we get involved with these days. Unless of course we want to go and strike at Argentina...
If we had to buy the F-35 the C model for both the RAF and RN would be a much more sensible choice compared to the B.

Do you have a date for that newspaper? Looks like the run up to this years general election so it's reasonably recent it would seem.

Personally I'd rather see us buy more Typhoons when the Tornado GR.4s start to become life expired, purchase navalized Typhoons for the CVFs (supposedly feasible according to the manufacturers) The harriers pose more of an issue because replacing them with anything other than a another Harrier or the F-35B would result in a lack of capability, that said do we really need STOVL capability I know it's useful but if there is no viable replacement for them what do you do? Replacing the Harriers when they finally have to be withdrawn with a dedicated COIN/CAS platform could prove useful.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 12:35 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
Personally I'd rather see us buy more Typhoons when the Tornado GR.4s start to become life expired, purchase navalized Typhoons for the CVFs (supposedly feasible according to the manufacturers) The harriers pose more of an issue because replacing them with anything other than a another Harrier or the F-35B would result in a lack of capability, that said do we really need STOVL capability I know it's useful but if there is no viable replacement for them what do you do? Replacing the Harriers when they finally have to be withdrawn with a dedicated COIN/CAS platform could prove useful.

Quick question not just for you. Why so many people support 'Navalized Typhoons' and 'Navalized Griffins'? Neither aircraft was designed to fly off of a carrier, and thus to configure them to do sou would eat into your procurement budget. Which is very silly when there is a 4.5th Generation naval fighter already on the market.

As for the F-35, it brings more to the table than most people realize. One thing it brings is full 360 * IRST. Yes it can IR search almost the entire sky. And while unit costs will go up (the nature of the beast) even if it hits 120 million, or 50% more than a Rafale, I'd rather have 16 F-35s than 24 Rafales. The Sensor and datalink functions of the F-35 are just that much better than any of the 4.5 Generation fighters on the market. In truth all of the European aircraft (Rafale, Eurofighter and Griffen), thanks to political or technical delays seem to have come about 5-10 years to late to capture a significant portion of the total market

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 12:49 pm
I know that. the f-35 is an very good aircraft, but it's still mainly an bomber, and only electronically equipped for the fighter role. the navalised eurofighter is an 'might have been'. IF the UK said that they needed an naval version too, the french would have stayed in the program and the rafale was never build. then france and great britain would both have the land and naval version of the EF-2000...... where the navalised gripen comes from, I have no idea..... was there really something published about that??

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: