Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 1:04 pm
Commonality was my main concern. As said, I just don't see a role for it in the current RAF. Especially the numbers we are/were meant to be purchasing it in.

Both the navalized Gripen and Typhoon were proposals to India for their naval fighter competition.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 1:15 pm
done a little research....
Quote:
Following an in-depth study of the various options available for FJCA; JSF, Naval Eurofighter, Rafale, F-18E/F or an entirely new aircraft the British MoD decided JSF (as either the STOVL or CV variant) was the best candidate. Unless something critical happens to JSF it looks unlikely that a navalised Eurofighter will ever operate from a Royal Navy aircraft carrier.
http://typhoon.starstreak.net/history.html

as I say, unlikely it will ever fly from an carrier. I'm sorry for that, because I rather like the plane, but for the rebuild that is needed takes as much time as an entirely new fighter.....

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 2:27 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
Both the navalized Gripen and Typhoon were proposals to India for their naval fighter competition.
I've bolded the important word.
acelanceloet wrote:
I know that. the f-35 is an very good aircraft, but it's still mainly an bomber, and only electronically equipped for the fighter role.
What are you smoking?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 2:35 pm
TimothyC wrote:

What are you smoking?
what do you mean with that? that the jsf is an bad plane, or do you think it can win in top gun :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 4:17 pm
Of course it could. With a good pilot. The JSF is a good aircraft (needs to be tested in combat to back that up) but all the same it looks as if it will be a good one. It's just not what the RAF and RN need. And as yes proposals are proposals but the fact remains it is doable. Even if the feasibility might be a little questionable? The fact that they (Government) want to completely scrap the Tornado force in the next couple of years means we'll have a big capability gap. Even with the Typhoons (if we get all of them).

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 4:45 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
TimothyC wrote:

What are you smoking?
what do you mean with that? that the jsf is an bad plane, or do you think it can win in top gun :D
I have no doubt that the F-35 will be in the same over all performance bracket as the F-22 for air to air combat. You seem to not get just how big of a thing the datalinks and sensor fusion is.
Edit: Your comment also betrays your lack of knowledge. No one "Wins 'TOPGUN'".
Blackbuck wrote:
Of course it could. With a good pilot. The JSF is a good aircraft (needs to be tested in combat to back that up) but all the same it looks as if it will be a good one. It's just not what the RAF and RN need. And as yes proposals are proposals but the fact remains it is doable. Even if the feasibility might be a little questionable? The fact that they (Government) want to completely scrap the Tornado force in the next couple of years means we'll have a big capability gap. Even with the Typhoons (if we get all of them).
My issue is that converting planes from land based to carrier based is a bit difficult. Things like corrosion, and air frame stress rear their ugly heads when you try to make those conversions. I'm not saying they couldn't be done, just that, as an American, I don't see why allies should waste their money with R&D when they could spend that money to buy American fighters (Replace my argument for Super Hornets with Flankers for the Russian equivalent).

Last edited by TimothyC on August 5th, 2010, 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 4:48 pm
That's true but with all the consolidations of our Armed forces of late the less types we operate the better seems to be the mantra that is being used.

[Profile] [Quote]
didibii
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 4:51 pm
I have to agree with timothyc the f-35 is a good plane but i know alot about planes too so i'd say if this is true and could be becoues people are ditching the program i think they should get a dessault rafel (that french plane lol i still cant spell it right)
But i think they should stick with the f-35 becoues that is what they need to replace the harriers.

2.Mary celeste (All most done 40% completed)
4.German CV europa (dont know if i should do it)

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 5:12 pm
We don't need to replace the Harriers with a STOVL equivalent, yes STOVL is nice but considering the size of the CVFs (if they get built...) operating STOVL assets from them makes no sense. There are STOBAR and CATOBAR capable aircraft that are just as capable if not more other than "stealth" than the F-35B.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to ditch JSF, buy Super HornetsPosted: August 5th, 2010, 5:13 pm
TimothyC wrote:

I have no doubt that the F-35 will be in the same over all performance bracket as the F-22 for air to air combat. You seem to not get just how big of a thing the datalinks and sensor fusion is.
true. as I said, electronically it is superior to the eurofighter, gripen, rafale and what else there might be in the contest. but, there is one problem: WVR combat. when you need to id your target visual first, the chances are 1 on 1 at best in an dogfight.... if it was as good as an f-22, then the USAF didn't even need the Raptor. I agree on you on all other points, but for smaller air forces there isn't always an awacs nearby which tags your enemies when they take of ;).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: