Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
Thiel
Post subject: Dang it all.Posted: August 5th, 2010, 1:11 am
Would someone please repost Colo's post in my "Help me get pas WS" thread. WS has just blocked it.
:evil: :evil:

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Dang it all.Posted: August 5th, 2010, 2:09 am
Mission of Honor: Chapter Three
Last updated: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 07:49 EDT

“So you’re satisfied with our own security position at the moment, Wesley?”

Benjamin IX, Protector of Grayson, leaned back in his chair, watching the uniformed commander in chief of the Grayson Space Navy across his desk. Wesley Matthews looked back at him, his expression a bit surprised, then nodded.

“Yes, Your Grace, I am,” he said. “May I ask if there’s some reason you think I shouldn’t be?”

“No, not that I think you shouldn’t be. On the other hand, I have it on excellent authority that certain questions are likely to be raised in the Conclave of Steadholders’ New Year’s session.”

Matthews’ expression went from slightly surprised to definitely sour and he shook his head in disgusted understanding.

The two men sat in Benjamin Mayhew’s private working office in Protector’s Palace. At the moment, the planet Grayson’s seasons were reasonably coordinated with those of mankind’s birth world, although they were drifting slowly back out of adjustment, and heavy snow fell outside the palace’s protective environmental dome. The larger dome which Skydomes of Grayson was currently erecting to protect the entire city of Austen was still only in its embryonic stages, with its preliminary girder work looming against the darkly clouded sky like white, furry tree trunks or — for those of a less cheerful disposition — the strands of some vast, frosted spiderweb. Outside the palace dome, clearly visible through its transparency from the bookcase-lined office’s window, crowds of children cheerfully threw snowballs at one another, erected snowmen, or skittered over the steep, cobbled streets of the Old Town on sleds. Others shrieked in delight as they rode an assortment of carnival rides on the palace grounds themselves, and vendors of hot popcorn, hot chocolate and tea, and enough cotton candy and other items of questionable dietary value to provide sugar rushes for the next several days could be seen nefariously plying their trade on every corner.

What couldn’t be clearly seen from Matthews’ present seat were the breath masks those children wore, or the fact that their gloves and mittens would have served the safety requirements of hazardous materials workers quite handily. Grayson’s high concentrations of heavy metals made even the planet’s snow potentially toxic, but that was something Graysons were used to. Grayson kids took the need to protect themselves against their environment as much for granted as children on other, less unfriendly planets took the need to watch out for traffic crossing busy streets.

And, at the moment, all of those hordes of children were taking special pleasure in their play because it was a school holiday. In fact, it was a planetary holiday — the Protector’s Birthday. The next best thing to a thousand T-years worth of Grayson children had celebrated that same holiday, although for the last thirty T-years or so, they’d been a bit shortchanged compared to most of their predecessors, since Benjamin IX had been born on December the twenty-first. The schools traditionally shut down for Christmas vacation on December the eighteenth, so the kids didn’t get an extra day away from class work the way they might have if Benjamin had been thoughtful enough to be born in, say, March or October. That little scheduling faux pas on his part (or, more fairly perhaps, on his mother’s) was part of the reason Benjamin had always insisted on throwing a special party for all the children of the planetary capital and any of their friends who could get there to join them. At the moment, by Matthews’ estimate, the school-aged population of the city of Austen had probably risen by at least forty or fifty percent.

It was also traditional that the protector did no official business on his birthday, since even he was entitled to at least one vacation day a year. Benjamin, however, was prone to honor that particular tradition in the breach, although he’d been known to use the fact that he was officially “off” for the day as a cover from time to time. And it would appear this was one of those times. Events were building towards the formal birthday celebration later this evening, but Matthews was among the inner circle who’d been invited to arrive early. He would have found himself in that group anyway, given how long and closely he and Benjamin had worked together, but there’d obviously been other reasons this year.

The high admiral regarded his protector thoughtfully. This was Benjamin’s fiftieth birthday, and his hair was streaked progressively more thickly with silver. Not that Matthews was any spring chicken himself. In fact, he was ten T-years older than Benjamin, and his own hair had turned completely white, although (he thought with a certain comfortable vanity) it had remained thankfully thick and luxuriant.

But thick or not, we’re neither one of us getting any younger, he reflected.

It was a thought which had occurred to him more frequently of late, especially when he ran into Manticoran officers half again his age who still looked younger than he did. Who were younger, physically speaking, at least. And more than a few Grayson officers fell into that same absurdly youthful-looking category, now that the first few generations to enter the service since Grayson’s alliance with Manticore had made the prolong therapies generally available were into their late thirties or — like Benjamin’s younger brother, Michael — already into their early forties.

It’s only going to get worse, Wesley, he told himself with an inescapable edge of bittersweet envy. It’s not their fault, of course. In fact, it’s nobody’s fault, but there are still a lot of things I’d like to be here to see.

He gave himself a mental shake and snorted silently. It wasn’t exactly as if he were going to drop dead of old age tomorrow! With modern medicine, he ought to be good for at least another thirty T-years, and Benjamin could probably look forward to another half T-century.

Which had very little to do with the question the protector had just asked him.

“May I ask exactly which of our esteemed steadholders are likely to be raising the questions in question, Your Grace?”

“Well, I think you can safely assume Travis Mueller’s name is going to be found among them.” Benjamin’s smile was tart. “And I expect Jasper Taylor’s going to be right beside him. But I understand they’ve found a new front man — Thomas Guilford.”

Matthews grimaced. Travis Mueller, Lord Mueller, was the son of the late and (by most Graysons) very unlamented Samuel Mueller, who’d been executed for treason following his involvement in a Masadan plot to assassinate Benjamin and Queen Elizabeth. Jasper Taylor, was Steadholder Canseco, whose father had been a close associate of Samuel Mueller and who’d chosen to continue the traditional alliance between Canseco and Mueller. But Thomas Guilford, Lord Forchein, was a newcomer to that particular mix. He was also quite a few years older than either Mueller or Canseco, and while he’d never been one of the greater admirers of the social and legal changes of the Mayhew Restoration, he’d never associated himself with the protector’s more strident critics. There hadn’t been much question about his sentiments, but he’d avoided open confrontations with Benjamin and the solid block of steadholders who supported the Sword and he’d always struck Matthews as less inclined than Mueller to cheerfully sacrifice principle in the name of “political pragmatism.”

“When did Forchein decide to sign on with Mueller and Friends, Your Grace?”

“That’s hard to say, really.” Benjamin tipped his swiveled armchair back and swung it gently from side to side. “To be fair to him — not that I particularly want to be, you understand — I doubt he was really much inclined in that direction until High Ridge tried to screw over every other member of the Alliance.”

Matthews snorted again, this time out loud. Like Benjamin himself, the high admiral strongly supported Grayson’s membership in the Manticoran Alliance. Not only was he painfully aware of just how much Grayson had profited, both technologically and economically, from its ties with the Star Kingdom of Manticore, but he was even better aware of the fact that without the intervention of the Royal Manticoran Navy, the planet of Grayson would either have been conquered outright by the religious lunatics who’d run Masada or at best have suffered nuclear or kinetic bombardment from space. At the same time, he had to admit the High Ridge Government had proved clearly that the Star Kingdom was far from perfect. In his considered opinion, “screw over” was an extraordinarily pale description of what Baron High Ridge had done to his alliance so-called partners. And like many other Graysons, Matthews was firmly of the opinion that High Ridge’s idiotic foreign policy had done a great deal to provoke the resumption of hostilities between the Republic of Haven and the Star Kingdom and its allies.

As far as the high admiral was personally concerned, that simply demonstrated once again that idiocy, corruption, and greed were inescapable elements of mankind’s fallen nature. Tester knew there’d been more than enough traitors, criminals, corrupt and arrogant steadholders, and outright lunatics in Grayson history! Indeed, the name “Mueller” came rather forcibly to mind in that connection. And for every Manticoran High Ridge, Matthews had met two or three Hamish Alexanders or Alistair McKeons or Alice Trumans, not to mention having personally met Queen Elizabeth III.

And then, of course, there was Honor Alexander-Harrington.

Given that balance, and how much Manticoran and Grayson blood had been shed side by side in the Alliance’s battles, Matthews was prepared to forgive the Star Kingdom for High Ridge’s existence. Not all Graysons were, however. Even many of those who remained fierce supporters of Lady Harrington separated her in their own minds from the Star Kingdom. She was one of theirs — a Grayson in her own right, by adoption and shed blood — which insulated her from their anger at the High Ridge Government’s stupidity, avarice, and arrogance. And the fact that she and High Ridge had been bitter political enemies only made that insulation easier for them.

“I’m serious, Wesley.” Benjamin waved one hand, as if for emphasis. “Oh, Forchein’s always been a social and religious conservative — not as reactionary as some, thank God, but bad enough — but I’m pretty sure it was the combination of High Ridge’s foreign policy and Haven’s resumption of open hostilities that tipped his support. And, unfortunately, he’s not the only one that’s true of.”

“May I ask how bad it actually is, Your Grace?” Matthews inquired, his eyes narrower.

It wasn’t the sort of question he usually would have asked, given the Grayson tradition of separation between the military and politics. Senior officers weren’t supposed to factor politics into their military thinking. Which, of course, was another of those fine theories which consistently came to grief amid the shoals of reality. There was a difference, however, between being aware of the political realities which affected the ability of his Navy to formulate sound strategy or discharge its responsibilities to defend the Protectorate of Grayson and of becoming involved in the formulation of political policy.

“To be honest, I’m not really certain,” Benjamin admitted. “Floyd is taking some cautious political soundings, and I expect we’ll have a pretty good idea within the next week or so of who else might be inclined in Forchein’s direction.”

Matthews nodded. Floyd Kellerman, Steadholder Magruder, had become Benjamin’s chancellor following Henry Prestwick’s well-earned retirement. He’d been Prestwick’s understudy for the last two years of the old chancellor’s tenure, and the Magruders had been Mayhew allies literally for centuries. Lord Magruder hadn’t yet developed the intricate web of personal alliances Prestwick had possessed, but he’d already demonstrated formidable abilities as both an administrator and a shrewd politician.

“Having said that, however,” the protector continued, “I’m already pretty confident about where the problem is going to come from . . . and what our problem children — however many of them there turn out to be — are going to want.” He shook his head. “Some of them wouldn’t have supported us sticking with Manticore against Haven this time around if the Protector’s Own hadn’t already been involved at Sidemore. Their position is that High Ridge had already violated Manticore’s treaty obligations to us by conducting independent negotiations with Haven, which amounted to a unilateral abrogation of the Alliance. And while we do have a mutual defense treaty outside the formal framework of the overall Alliance, one whose terms obligate us to come to one another’s support in the event of any attack by an outside party, the Star Kingdom’s critics have pointed out that the Republic of Haven did not, in fact, attack Grayson in Operation Thunderbolt despite our involvement in defending Manticoran territory. The implication being that since High Ridge chose to violate Manticore’s solemn treaty obligations to us — along with every other party to the Alliance — there’s no reason we should feel legally or morally bound to honor our treaty obligations to them if doing so isn’t in the Protectorate’s best interests.

“And — surprise, surprise! — the way the Manticorans’ expansion into the Talbott Sector’s brought them into direct collision with the Solarian League has only made the people who are pissed off with Manticore even less happy. And to be honest, I can’t really blame anyone for being nervous about finding themselves on the wrong end of the confrontation with the League, especially after the way High Ridge squandered so much of the Star Kingdom’s investment in loyalty.

“Of course, none of our vessels have actually been involved in operations anywhere near Talbott, but we do have personnel serving on Manticoran warships which have been. For that matter, over thirty of our people were killed when that idiot Byng blew up the destroyers they were serving in. Which gives the people who worry about what may happen between the League and the Manticorans — and, by extension, with us — two legitimate pieces of ammunition. The Sollies may view the participation of our personnel, even aboard someone else’s ships, in military operations against the League as meaning we’ve already decided to back Manticore, and I don’t think it would be totally unfair to argue that the people we’ve already lost were lost in someone else’s fight. Mind you, I think it should be obvious to anyone with any sort of realistic appreciation for how Frontier Security and the League operate that standing up to the Sollies should be every independent ‘neobarb’ star system’s fight. Not everyone’s going to agree with me about that, unfortunately, and those who don’t will be airing their concerns shortly. Which brings me back to my original question for you. How satisfied are you with the system’s security?”

“In the short term, completely, Your Grace.” Matthews’ response was as firm as it was instant. “Whatever High Ridge and Janacek might have done, ever since Willie Alexander took over as Prime Minister, especially with Hamish as his First Lord of Admiralty, our channels of communication have been completely opened again. Our R&D people are working directly with theirs, and they’ve provided us with everything we needed to put Apollo into production here at Yeltsin’s Star. For that matter, they’ve delivered over eight thousand of the system-defense variant Apollo pods. And they’ve also handed our intelligence people complete copies of the computer files Countess Gold Peak captured from Byng at New Tuscany, along with specimens of Solly missiles, energy weapons, software systems — the works. For that matter, if we want it, they’re more than willing to let us have one of the actual battlecruisers the Countess brought back from New Tuscany so we can examine it personally. So far, we haven’t taken them up on that. Our people in Admiral Hemphill’s shop are already seeing everything, and, frankly, the Manties are probably better at that sort of thing than we are here at home, anyway.

“Based on what we’ve seen out of the Havenites, I’m confident we could successfully defend this star system against everything the Republic has left. And based on our evaluation of the captured Solarian material, my best estimate is that while the Sollies probably could take us in the end, they’d need upwards of a thousand ships-of-the-wall to do it. And that’s a worst-case estimate, Your Grace. I suspect a more realistic estimate would push their force requirements upward significantly.” He shook his head. “Given all their other commitments, the amount of their wall of battle that’s tucked away in mothballs, and the fact that they’d pretty much have to go through Manticore before they got to us at all, I’m not worried about any known short-term threat.”

He paused for a moment, as if to let the protector fully absorb his own confidence, then drew a deep breath.

“In the long term, of course, the Solarian League could pose a very serious threat to the Protectorate. I agree with the Manties’ estimate that it would take years for the SLN to get comparable technology into production and deployed. I think some of the individual system-defense forces could probably shave some time off of how long it’s going to take the SLN in particular, and the League in general, to overcome the sheer inertia of their entrenched bureaucracies, but as far as I’m aware, none of those SDFs are in anything like the Star Kingdom’s — I mean the Star Empire’s — league. For that matter, I don’t think any of them could come close to matching our combat power for quite a lengthy period. But in the end, assuming the League has the stomach to pay the price in both human and economic terms, there’s not much doubt that, barring direct divine intervention, the Sollies could absorb anything we and the Manticorans combined could hand out and still steamroller us in the end.”

Benjamin puffed his lips, his eyes worried, and rotated his chair some more. It was very quiet in the office — quiet enough for Matthews to hear the creaking of the old-fashioned swivel chair — and the high admiral found himself looking out the window again, at the throngs of children.

I’d really like for someone to grow up on this planet without having to worry about wars and lunatics, he thought sadly, almost wistfully. I’ve done my best to keep them safe, but that’s not the same thing.

“I wish I could say I was surprised by anything you’ve just said,” Benjamin said at last, pulling Matthews’ eyes back to him. “Unfortunately, it’s about what I expected to hear, and I don’t doubt Mueller and Friends, as you call them, have reached about the same conclusions. They already think of us as ‘Manticoran lackeys’ who put Manticore’s interests ahead of Grayson’s. That’s going to dispose them to take the least optimistic possible view, shall we say, of our long-term strategic position. Nor do I doubt that they’re going to be perfectly ready to share their thoughts on the subject with their fellow steadholders.”

“Your Grace, I could –”

“No, you couldn’t, Wesley,” Benjamin interrupted. The high admiral looked at him, and the protector smiled tartly. “I’m sure, High Admiral Matthews, that you would never suggest to the Lord Protector that it might be possible for you to prevaricate or even mislead the Conclave of Steadholders if you were called to testify before them.”

Matthews closed his mouth and sat back in his chair, and Benjamin chuckled harshly.

“Don’t think that I wouldn’t appreciate the offer, if you’d ever been so lost to all sense of your legal and moral responsibilities as to make it. But even if I were tempted to encourage you to do any such thing, and even if it wouldn’t be both morally and legally wrong — which, granted, aren’t always exactly the same things — it would only blow up in our faces in the long run. After all, it’s not exactly like it would take a hyper physicist to realize just how damned big the League is. If we tried to pretend the Sollies couldn’t kick our posterior in the long run, we’d only look and sound ridiculous. Or, worse, like we were trying to carry water for the Manties. So I doubt you’d be able to do much good . . . in that respect, at least. ”

Matthews nodded slowly, but something about the protector’s tone puzzled him. He knew it showed in his expression, and Benjamin chuckled again, more naturally, when he saw it.

“I said I don’t want you to mislead anyone about the long-term threat the League could pose, Wesley. I never said I didn’t want you to underline your confidence in our short-term security, if you’re actually confident about it.”

“Of course, Your Grace.” Matthews nodded with no reservations. In fact, even though he’d scrupulously used the phrase “any known short-term threat” in his response to the protector’s question, in his own mind a better one would have been “any conceivable short-term threat.”

“Good.” Benjamin nodded back. “One thing we scheming autocrats realized early on, High Admiral, is that short-term threats have a far greater tendency to crystallize political factions, for or against, than long-term ones do. It’s the nature of the way human minds work. And if we can get through the next few months, the situation could certainly change. For example, there’s Lady Harrington’s mission to Haven.”

Matthews nodded, although he suspected he hadn’t succeeded in keeping at least a trace of skepticism out of his expression. As the Grayson Space Navy’s uniformed commander, he was one of the handful of people who knew about Honor Alexander-Harrington’s planned mission to the Republic of Haven. He agreed that it was certainly worth trying, even if he didn’t exactly have unbridled optimism about the chances for its success. On the other hand, Lady Harrington had a knack for accomplishing the improbable, so he wasn’t prepared to totally rule out the possibility.

“If we can manage to bury the hatchet with Haven, it should be a major positive factor where the public’s morale is concerned, and it would certainly strengthen our hand in the Conclave,” Benjamin pointed out. “Not only that, but if anyone in the Solarian League realizes just how steep our present technological advantage is, and couples that with the fact that we’re not being distracted by the Republic anymore, he may just figure out that picking a fight with Manticore is a game that wouldn’t be worth the candle.”

“Your Grace, I can’t disagree with anything you’ve just said,” Matthews said. “On the other hand, you and I both know how Sollies think. Do you really believe there’s going to be a sudden unprecedented outburst of rationality in Old Chicago, of all places?”

“I think it’s possible,” Benjamin replied. “I’m not saying I think it’s likely, but it is possible. And in some ways, this makes me think about a story my father told me — an old joke about a Persian horse thief.”

“Excuse me, Your Grace?”

“A Persian horse thief.” Matthews still looked blank, and Benjamin grinned. “Do you know what ‘Persia’ was?”

“I’ve heard the word,” Matthews admitted cautiously. “Something from Old Earth history, wasn’t it?”

“Persia,” Benjamin said, “built one of the greatest pre-technic empires back on Old Earth. Their king was called the ’shah,’ and the term ‘checkmate’ in chess comes originally from ’shah mat,’ or ‘the king is dead.’ That’s how long ago they were around.

“Anyway, the story goes that once upon a time a thief stole the shah’s favorite horse. Unfortunately for him, he was caught trying to get off the palace grounds with it, and dragged before the shah in person. The penalty for stealing any horse was pretty severe, but stealing one of the shah’s was punishable by death, of course. Still, the shah wanted to see the man who’d had the audacity to try and steal a horse out of the royal stables themselves.

“So the shah’s guardsmen brought the thief in, and the shah said, ‘Didn’t you know stealing one of my horses is punishable by death, fellow?’ And the thief looked at him and said ‘Of course I knew that, Your Majesty. But everyone knows you have the finest horses in all the world, and what horse thief worthy of the name would choose to steal any but the finest?’

“The shah was amused, but the law was the law, so he said ‘Give me one reason why I shouldn’t have your head chopped off right this minute.’ The horse thief thought about it for a few moments, then said, ‘Well, Your Majesty, I don’t suppose there’s any legal reason why you shouldn’t. But if you’ll spare my life, I’ll teach your horse to sing.’

“‘What?’ the shah demanded. ‘You claim you can actually teach my horse to sing?’ ‘Well, of course I can!’ the thief replied confidently. ‘I’m not just a common horse thief, after all, Your Majesty. I don’t say it will be easy, but if I can’t teach your horse to sing within one year, then you can chop off my head with my blessings.’

“So the shah thought about it, then nodded. ‘All right, you’ve got your year. If, at the end of that year, you haven’t taught the horse to sing, though, I warn you — a simple beheading will be the least of your problems! Is that understood?’ ‘Of course, Your Majesty!’ the horse thief replied, and the guards hauled him away.

“‘Are you crazy?’ one of them asked him. ‘No one can teach a horse to sing, and the Shah’s going to be even more pissed off when he figures out you lied to him. All you’ve done is to trade having your head chopped off for being handed over to the torturers! What were you thinking?’ So the thief looks at him and says ‘I have a year in which to do it, and in a year, the Shah may die, and his successor may choose to spare my life. Or the horse may die, and I can scarcely be expected to teach a dead horse to sing, and so my life may be spared. Or, I may die, in which case it won’t matter whether or not the horse learns to sing.’ ‘And if none of those things happen?’ the guard demanded. ‘Well, in that case,’ the thief replied, ‘who knows? Maybe the horse will learn to sing!’”

Matthews chuckled, and the protector’s grin broadened. Then it slowly faded, and he let his chair come back upright, laying his forearms on his desk and leaning forward over them.

“And in some ways, that’s where we are, isn’t it?” he asked. “We’ve been too closely allied with Manticore for too long, and we’ve already had personnel involved in active combat with the SLN. If the League decides to hammer the Star Kingdom over something that was clearly the League’s fault in the first place, what makes anyone think they’ll hesitate to hammer any of the uppity neobarbs’ uppity neobarb friends, at the same time? What’s one more star system when you’re already planning on destroying a multi-system empire, with the largest independent merchant marine in the entire galaxy, just because you can’t admit one of your own admirals screwed up by the numbers?”

Matthews looked back at his protector, wishing he could think of an answer to Benjamin’s questions.

“So that’s where we are,” the protector repeated quietly. “In the long term, unless we’re prepared to become another nice, obedient Frontier Security proxy and go around bashing other ‘neobarbs’ for the League, I’m sure they’ll decide one of their flag officers should have another unfortunate little accident that gets our Navy trashed along with Manticore’s before we turn into a threat to them. So all I can see for us to do is the best we can and hope that somewhere, even in the Solarian League, someone’s going to be bright enough to see the shipwreck coming and try to avoid it. After all,” Benjamin grinned again, this time without amusement, “the horse really may learn to sing.”

“All right, boys and girls,” Commander Michael Carus said. “It’s official. We can go home now.”

“Hallelujah!” Lieutenant Commander Bridget Landry said from her quadrant of his com display. “Not that it hasn’t been fun,” she continued. “Why I haven’t enjoyed myself this much since they fixed that impacted wisdom tooth for me.”

Carus chuckled. The four destroyers of the Royal Manticoran Navy’s Destroyer Division 265.2, known as “the Silver Cepheids,” had been sitting a light-month from Manticore-A for two weeks, doing absolutely nothing. Well, that wasn’t exactly fair. They’d been sitting here maintaining a scrupulous sensor watch looking for absolutely nothing, and he was hardly surprised by Landry’s reaction.

No, I’m not, he admitted. But somebody had to do it. And when it comes to perimeter security for the entire star system, better safe than sorry any day, even if it does mean somebody has to be bored as hell.

DesDiv 265.2 had been sent to check out what was almost certainly a sensor ghost but which could, just possibly, have been an actual hyper footprint. It was extraordinarily unlikely that anyone would have bothered to make his alpha translation this far out, be his purposes ever so nefarious, since his impeller signature would certainly have been detected long before he could get close enough to the Manticore Binary System to accomplish anything. But Perimeter Security didn’t take chances on words like “unlikely.” When a sensor ghost like this one turned up, it was checked out — quickly and thoroughly. And if the checker-outers didn’t find anything immediately upon arrival, they stayed put for the entire two T-weeks SOP required.

Which was precisely what the Silver Cepheids had just finished doing.

“Should I assume, Bridget,” Carus said, “that you have some pressing reason for wanting to head home at this particular moment?”

“Oh, how could you possibly suspect anything of the sort?” Lieutenant Commander John Pershing asked from the bridge of HMS Raven, and Lieutenant Commander Julie Chase, CO of HMS Lodestone chuckled.

“I take it your senile old skipper is missing something?” Carus said mildly.

“She’s got one of those creative archaism thingies,” Chase said.

“That’s creative anachronisms, you ignorant lout,” Landry corrected with a frown.

“Are you going off to play dress-up again, Bridget?” Carus demanded.

“Hey, don’t you start on me!” she told him with a grin. “Everyone’s got her own hobby — even you. Or was that someone else I saw tying trout flies the other day?”

“At least he eats what he catches,” Chase pointed out. “Or is it that what catches him eats him?” She frowned, then shrugged. “Anyway, it’s not as silly as all those costumes of yours.”

“Before you go around calling it silly, Julie,” Pershing suggested, “you might want to reflect on the fact that ‘the Salamander’ is an honorary member of Bridget’s chapter.”

“What?” Chase stared at him from her display. “You’re kidding! Duchess Harrington’s part of this silly SCA thing?”

“Well, not really,” Landry said. “Like John says, it’s an honorary membership. One of her uncles is a real big wheel in the Society on Beowulf, and he sponsored her back, oh, I don’t know . . . must’ve been thirty T-years ago. I’ve actually met her at a couple of meetings though, you know. She took the pistol competition at both of them, as a matter of fact.”

“There you have it,” Carus said simply. “If it’s good enough for the Salamander, it’s good enough for anyone. So let’s not have anyone abusing Bridget over her hobby anymore, understand? Even if it is a remarkably silly way for an adult human being to spend her time, at least she’s being silly in good company. So there.”

Landry stuck out her tongue at him, and he laughed. Then he looked sideways at Lieutenant Linda Petersen, his astrogator aboard HMS Javelin.

“Got that course figured for us, Linda?”

“Yes, Skipper,” Petersen nodded.

“Well, in that case pass it to these other characters,” Carus told her. “Obviously, we have to get Commander Landry back to Manticore before she turns back into a watermelon, or a pumpkin, or whatever it was.”

Commodore Karol Østby leaned back in the comfortable chair, eyes closed, letting the music flow over him. Old Terran opera had been his favorite form of relaxation for as long as he could remember. He’d even learned French, German, and Italian so he could listen to them in their original languages. Of course, he’d always had a pronounced knack for languages; it was part of the Østby genome, after all.

At this moment, however, he found himself in rather greater need of that relaxation than usual. The seven small ships of his command had been creeping tracelessly about the perimeter of the Manticore Binary System for over a T-month, and that wasn’t something calculated to make a man feel comfortable. Whatever those idiots in the SLN might think, Østby and the Mesan Alignment Navy had the liveliest possible respect for the capabilities of Manty technology. In this case, though, it was the Manties’ turn to be outclassed — or, at least, taken by surprise. If Østby hadn’t been one hundred percent confident of that when Oyster Bay was originally planned, he was now. His cautious prowling about the system had confirmed that even the Alignment’s assessment of its sensor coverage had fallen badly short of the reality. Any conventional starship would have been detected long ago by the dense, closely integrated, multiply redundant sensor systems he and his personnel had painstakingly plotted. In fact, he was just a little concerned over the possibility that those surveillance systems might still pick up something soon enough to at least blunt Oyster Bay’s effectiveness.

Stop that, Karol, he told himself, never opening his eyes. Yes, it could happen, but you know it’s not very damned likely. You just need something to worry about, don’t you?

His lips twitched in sour amusement as he acknowledged his own perversity, but at the same time, he was aware that his worrier side was one of the things that made him an effective officer. His subordinates probably got tired of all the contingency planning he insisted upon, yet even they had to admit that it made it unlikely they would truly be taken by surprise when Murphy decided to put in his inevitable appearance.

So far, though, that appearance hadn’t happened, and Østby’s flagship Chameleon and her consorts were past the riskiest part of their entire mission. Their own reconnaissance platforms were the stealthiest the Alignment could provide after decades of R&D and more capital investment than he liked to think about, and those platforms hadn’t transmitted a single byte of information. They’d made their sweeps on ballistic flight profiles, using purely passive sensors, then physically rendezvoused with their motherships to deliver their take.

And, overall, that take had been satisfying, indeed. Passive sensors were less capable than active ones, but the multiple systems each platform mounted compensated for a lot of that. From the numbers of energy sources they’d picked up, it appeared the ships the Manties currently had under construction weren’t as far along in the building process as intelligence had estimated. If they had been, there’d have been more onboard energy sources already up and running. But at least Østby now knew exactly where the orbital yards were, and the external energy sources his platforms had picked up indicated that most of them had projects underway. From the numbers of signatures, and they way they clustered, it looked as though more than a few of the yards were at early stages of their construction projects, and he hoped that didn’t mean intelligence’s estimate of the Manties’ construction times was off. It was hard to be certain, given how cautiously he had to operate, but if all those new projects meant the yards in question had finished their older projects ahead of estimate . . . .

And the fact that the Manties seem to be sending all their new construction off to Trevor’s Star for working up exercises doesn’t help, either, he admitted sourly.

Which was true enough — it didn’t help one bit. Still, there was a lot of work going on in those dispersed yards of theirs, and while his estimates on what their space stations were up to were more problematical, he had no doubt there were quite a few ships under construction in those highly capable building slips, as well.

And we know exactly where they are, he reminded himself.

Now it was just a matter of keeping tabs on what their recon platforms had located for them. He’d really have preferred to send the platforms through on another short-range sweep closer to their actual execution date, but his orders were clear on that. It was more important to preserve the element of surprise than it was to monitor every single detail. And it wasn’t as if there’d been any effort to conceal the things Østby and his people were there looking for. People didn’t normally try to hide things like orbital shipyards (even if they’d wanted to, Østby couldn’t imagine how someone would go about doing it), nor did they move them around once they were in position. And if anyone did move them, Chameleon and her sisters would be bound to know, given the distant optical watch they were keeping and the fact that the impeller wedge of any tug that started moving shipyards would certainly be powerful enough to be detected by at least one of the watching scout ships.

So all we have to do now is wait, he told himself, listening to the music, listening to the voices. One more T-month until we put the guidance platforms in place.

That was going to be a little risky, he admitted in the privacy of his own thoughts, but only a little. The guidance platforms were even stealthier than his ships. Someone would have to almost literally collide with one of them to spot them, and they’d be positioned well above the system ecliptic, where there was no traffic to do the colliding. He would have been happier if the platforms had been a little smaller — he admitted that to himself, as well — but delivering targeting information to that many individual missiles in a time window as short as the Oyster Bay ops plan demanded required a prodigious amount of bandwidth. And, despite everything, it was highly likely the Manties were going to hear something when they started transmitting all that data.

Not that it was going to make any difference at that late date, he reflected with grim pleasure. Everything he and his squadron had done for the last three and a half T-months all came down to that transmission’s handful of seconds . . . and once it was made, nothing could save the Star Empire of Manticore.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

Last edited by ezgo394 on August 5th, 2010, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Dang it all.Posted: August 5th, 2010, 2:10 am
Mission of Honor: Chapter Eleven
Last updated: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 19:30 EDT

“Good morning, Michael,” the very black-skinned woman said from Rear Admiral Michael Oversteegen’s com display.

“Mornin’, Milady,” Oversteegen drawled, and smiled slightly as her eyes narrowed. His chosen form of address was perfectly appropriate, even courteous . . . no matter how much he knew it irritated Vice Admiral Gloria Michelle Samantha Evelyn Henke, Countess Gold Peak. Especially in that upper-crust, languid accent. Of course, the fact that she knew he knew it irritated her only made it even more amusing.

Serves her right, he thought. All those years she managed t’ avoid admittin’ she was only half-a-dozen or so heartbeats away from th’ Throne. Not anymore, Milady Countess.

It wasn’t that Oversteegen had anything other than the highest respect for Michelle Henke. It was just that she’d always been so aggressive in stamping on anything that even looked like the operation of nepotism in her behalf. Oh, if she’d been incompetent, or even only marginally competent, he’d have agreed with her. The use of family influence in support of self-interest and mediocrity (or worse) was the single greatest weakness of an aristocratic system, and Oversteegen had studied more than enough history to admit it. But every social system had weaknesses of one sort or another, and the Manticoran system was an aristocratic one. Making that system work required a recognition of social responsibility on the part of those at its apex, and Oversteegen had no patience with those — like his own miserable excuse for an uncle, Michael Janvier, the Baron of High Ridge — who saw their lofty births solely in terms of their own advantage. But it also required the effective use of the advantages of birth and position to promote merit. To see to it that those who were capable of discharging their responsibilities, and willing to do so, received the preference to let them get on with it.

He was willing to concede that the entire system disproportionately favored those who enjoyed the patronage and family influence in question, and that was unfortunate. One of those weaknesses every system had. But he wasn’t going to pretend he didn’t see those advantages as a rightful possession of those who met their obligations under it . . . including, especially, the enormous obligation to see to it that those advantages were employed on behalf of others, in support of the entire society which provided them, not simply for their own personal benefit or the sort of shortsighted class selfishness of which aristocrats like his uncle (or, for that matter, his own father) were altogether too often guilty. In particular, one of the responsibilities of any naval officer was to identify and groom his own successors, and Oversteegen saw no reason he shouldn’t use his influence to nurture the careers of capable subordinates, be they ever so commonly born. It wasn’t as if being born into the aristocracy magically guaranteed some sort of innate superiority, and one of the greater strengths of the Manticoran system from its inception had been the relative ease with which capable commoners could find themselves elevated to its aristocracy.

Mike ought t’ recognize that if anyone does, he reflected, given that her best friend in th’ galaxy is also th’ most spectacular example I can think of of how it works. When it works, of course. Be fair, Michael — it doesn’t always, and you know it as well as Mike does.

“What can I do for you this fine mornin’?” he inquired genially, and she shook her head at him.

“I was going to invite you to observe a little command simulation over here aboard Artie in a couple of days,” she said, using the nickname which had been bestowed upon HMS Artemis’ by her flagship’s crew. “But given how feisty you’re obviously feeling, I’ve changed my mind. Instead” — she smiled nastily — “I think you’d better join me for lunch so we can discuss the defenders’ role. You’ve just inspired me to let you play system-defense force CO in our little exercise instead of Shulamit.”

“I’d hate t’ be quoted on this, Milady, but that sounds just a mite . . . I don’t know . . . vengeful, perhaps?”

“Why, yes, I believe it does, Admiral Oversteegen. And, speaking as one decadent, effete aristocrat to another, isn’t vengefulness one of our hallmark traits?”

“I believe it is,” he agreed with a chuckle.

“I’m glad it amuses you, Admiral,” she said cheerfully. “And I hope you’ll go right on feeling equally amused when it turns out the other side has Mark 23s, too, this time.”

“Why do I have th’ impression you just this minute decided t’ add that particular wrinkle t’ th’ sim, Milady?”

“Because you have a nasty, suspicious mind and know me entirely too well. But look at it this way. It’s bound to be a very enlightening experience for you.” She smiled sweetly at him. “I’ll expect you at oh-one-thirty, Admiral. Don’t be late!”

Michelle terminated the connection and tipped back in her flag bridge chair, shaking her head wryly.

“Are you really going to give the aggressor force Mark 23s, Ma’am?” a voice asked, and Michelle looked over her shoulder at Captain Cynthia Lecter, Tenth Fleet’s chief of staff.

“I’m not only going to give the op force Mark 23s, Cindy,” she said with a wicked smile. “I’m probably going to give it Apollo, too.”

Lecter winced. The current iteration of the Mark 23 multidrive missile carried the most destructive warhead in service with any navy, and it carried it farther and faster than any missile in service with any navy outside what was still called the Haven Sector. That was a sufficiently significant advantage for most people to be going on with, she supposed, but when the faster-than-light command and control link of the Apollo system was incorporated into the mix, the combination went far beyond simply devastating.

“You don’t think that might be a little bit of overkill, Ma’am?” the chief of staff asked after a moment.

“I certainly hope it will!” Michelle replied tartly. “He deserves worse, actually. Well, maybe not deserves, but I can’t think of a word that comes closer. Besides, it’ll be good for him. Put a little hiccup in that unbroken string of four-oh simulations he’s reeled off since he got here. After all,” she finished, lifting her nose with a slight but audible sniff, “it’s one of a commanding officer’s responsibilities to remind her subordinates from time to time of their own mortality.”

“You manage to sound so virtuous when you say that, Ma’am,” Lecter observed. “And you can actually keep a straight face, too. I think that’s even more remarkable.”

“Why, thank you, Captain Lecter!” Michelle beamed benignly and raised one hand in a gesture of blessing which would have done her distant cousin Robert Telmachi, the Archbishop of Manticore, proud. “And now, why don’t you sit down with Dominica, Max, and Bill to see just how devious the three of you can be in putting all of those unfair advantages into effect?”

“Aye, aye, Ma’am,” Lecter acknowledged, and headed off towards the tactical section, where Commander Dominica Adenauer was discussing something with Lieutenant Commander Maxwell Tersteeg, Michelle’s staff electronic warfare officer.

Michelle watched her go and wondered if Cindy had figured out the other reason she was thinking about giving the op force Apollo. They weren’t going to find a more capable system-defense CO than Michael Oversteegen, and she badly wanted to see how well the Royal Manticoran Navy’s Apollo — in the hands of one Vice Admiral Gold Peak and her staff — could do while someone with all the Royal Manticoran Navy’s war-fighting technology short of Apollo pulled out all the stops against her.

Her own smile faded at the thought. None of her ships currently had Apollo, nor did they have the Keyhole-Two platforms to make use of the FTL telemetry link even if they’d had the Apollo birds themselves. But unless she missed her guess, that was going to change very soon now.

I hope to hell it is, anyway, she reflected grimly. And when it does, we’d damned well better have figured out how to use it as effectively as possible. That bastard Byng may have been a complete and utter incompetent — as well as an asshole — but not all Sollies can be that idiotic.

She settled back, contemplating the main plot with eyes that didn’t see it at all while she reflected on the last three T-months.

Somehow, when she’d just been setting out on her naval career, it had never occurred to her she might find herself in a situation like this one. Even now, it seemed impossible that so much could have happened in so short a period, and she wished she knew more about what was going on back home.

Be glad of what you do know, girl, she told herself sternly. At least Beth approved of your actions. Cousin or not, she could’ve recalled you as the sacrificial goat. In fact, I’m sure a lot of people think that’s exactly what she should’ve done.

The four-week communications loop between the Spindle System, the capital of the newly organized Talbott Quadrant of the Star Empire of Manticore, and the Manticoran Binary System was the kind of communications delay any interstellar naval officer had to learn to live with. It was also the reason most successful navies simply assumed flag officers on distant stations were going to have to make their own decisions. There just wasn’t time for them to communicate with their governments, even though everyone recognized that the decisions they made might have significant consequences for their star nations’ foreign policy. But however well established that state of affairs might be, the potential consequences for Michelle Henke this time around were rather more significant than usual.

“More significant than usual.” My, what a fine euphemistic turn of phrase, Mike! she thought sourly.

It didn’t seem possible that it was one day short of two months since she’d destroyed a Solarian League battlecruiser with all hands. She hadn’t wanted to do it, but Admiral Josef Byng hadn’t left her much in the way of options. And, if she was going to be honest, a part of her was intensely satisfied that the drooling idiot hadn’t. If he’d been reasonable, if he’d had a single functioning brain cell and he’d stood-down his ships as she’d demanded until the events of the so-called First Battle of New Tuscany could be adequately investigated, he and his flagship’s entire crew would still be alive, and that satisfied part of her would have considered that a suboptimal outcome. The arrogant bastard had slaughtered the entire complements of three of Michelle’s destroyers without so much as calling on them to surrender first, and she wasn’t going to pretend, especially to herself, that she was sorry he’d paid the price for all those murders. The disciplined, professional flag officer in her would have preferred for him (and his flagship’s crew) to be alive, and she’d tried hard to achieve that outcome, but only because no sane Queen’s officer wanted to contemplate the prospect of a genuine war against the Solarian League. Especially not while the war against Haven was still unresolved.

But Elizabeth, Baron Grantville, Earl White Haven, and Sir Thomas Caparelli had all approved her actions in the strongest possible language. She suspected that at least some of that approval’s firmness had been intended for public consumption, both at home in Manticore and in the Solarian League. Word of the battle — accompanied by at least excerpts of Elizabeth’s official dispatch to her, approving her actions — had reached Old Terra herself via the Beowulf terminus of the Manticoran Wormhole Junction a month ago now. Michelle had no doubt Elizabeth, William Alexander, and Sir Anthony Langtry had given careful thought to how best to break the news to the Sollies; unfortunately, “best” didn’t necessarily equate to “a good way to tell them.”

In fact, Michelle had direct evidence that they weren’t even remotely the same thing. The first wave of Solarian newsies had reached Spindle via the Junction nine days earlier, and they’d arrived in a feeding frenzy. Although Michelle herself had managed to avoid them by taking refuge in her genuine responsibilities as Tenth Fleet’s commanding officer. She’d retreated to her orbiting flagship and hidden behind operational security and several hundred kilometers of airless vacuum — and Artemis’ Marine detachment — to keep the pack from pursuing her.

Agustus Khumalo, Baroness Medusa, Prime Minister Alquezar, and Minister of War Krietzmann had been less fortunate in that regard. Michelle might have been forced to put in appearances at no less than four formal news conferences, but her military and political superiors found themselves under continual siege by Solarian reporters who verged from the incredulous to the indignant to the outraged and didn’t seem particularly concerned about who knew it. From her own daily briefings, it was evident that the flow of newsies — Manticoran, as well as Solarian — was only growing. And just to make her happiness complete, the insufferable gadflies were bringing their own reports of the Solarian League’s reaction to what had happened along with them. Well, the Old Terran reaction, at least, she corrected herself. But the version of the “truth” expounded on Old Terra — and the reaction to it on Old Terra — always played a hugely disproportionate part in the League’s policies.

And it was evident that Old Terra and the deeply entrenched bureaucracies headquartered there were not reacting well.

She reminded herself that all of her information about events on the League’s capital world was at least three T-weeks old. She supposed it was remotely possible something resembling sanity had actually reared its ugly head by now and she just hadn’t heard about it yet. But as of the last statements by Prime Minister Gyulay, Foreign Minister Roelas y Valiente, and Defense Minister Taketomo which had so far reached Spindle, the League’s official position was that it was “awaiting independent confirmation of the Star Empire of Manticore’s very serious allegations” and considering “appropriate responses to the Royal Manticoran Navy’s destruction of SLNS Jean Bart and her entire crew.”

While Roelas y Valiente had “deeply deplored” any loss of life suffered in the first “alleged incident” between units of the Solarian League Navy and the Royal Manticoran Navy in the neutral system of New Tuscany, his government had, of course, been unable to make any formal response to the Star Empire’s protest and demand for explanations at that time. The Solarian League would, equally of course, “respond appropriately” as soon as there’d been time for “reliable and impartial” reports of both the “alleged incidents” to reach Old Terra. In the meantime, the Solarian League “sincerely regretted” its inability to respond directly to the “purported facts” of the “alleged incidents.” And however deeply the foreign minister might have “deplored” any loss of life, he’d been very careful to point out that even by Manticoran accounts, the Solarian League had lost far more lives than Manticore had. And that that Solarian loss of life had occurred only after “what would appear to be the hasty response of a perhaps overly aggressive Manticoran flag officer to initial reports of a purported incident which had not at that time been independently confirmed for her.”

All of which had clearly amounted to telling the Star Empire to run along and play until the grown-ups in the League had had an opportunity to find out what had really happened and decided upon appropriate penalties for the rambunctious children whose “overly aggressive” response was actually responsible for it.

On the surface, “waiting for independent confirmation” sounded very judicial and correct, but Michelle — unlike the vast number of Solarians listening to the public statements of the men and women who theoretically governed them — knew the League government already had Evelyn Sigbee’s official report on what had happened in both the “New Tuscany Incidents.” The fact that the people who supposedly ran that government were still referring to what they knew from their own flag officer’s report was the truth as “allegations” was scarcely encouraging. And the fact that they were considering “appropriate responses” to Jean Bart’s destruction by an “overly aggressive Manticoran flag officer” and not addressing even the possibility of appropriate responses to Josef Byng’s murder of three Manticoran destroyers and every man and woman who’d served upon them struck her as even less promising. At the very least, as far as she could see, all of that was a depressing indication that the idiots calling the shots behind the smokescreen of their elected superiors were still treating this all as business as usual. And if that really was their attitude . . . .

At least the fact that Manticore was inside the Sollies’ communications loop meant Old Terra had found out about Admiral Byng’s unexpected demise even before Lorcan Verrochio. In theory, at least, Verrochio — as the Office of Frontier Security’s commissioner in the Madras Sector — was Byng’s superior, but pinning down exactly who was really in charge of what could get a bit slippery once the Sollies’ dueling bureaucracies got into the act. That was always true, especially out here in the Verge, and from her own experience with Josef Byng, it might be even truer than usual this time around. It was entirely possible that everything which had happened in New Tuscany, and even his decision to move his command there in the first place, had been his own half-assed idea.

Which doesn’t mean Verrochio was exactly an innocent bystander, she reminded herself. He sure as hell wasn’t last time around, anyway. And even if it was all Byng’s idea — this time — Verrochio had to sign off on it under the Sollies’ own regulations, officially, at least. And then there’s always the Manpower connection, isn’t there?

She frowned and suppressed an almost overpowering temptation to gnaw on her fingernails. Her mother had always told her that was a particularly unbecoming nervous mannerism. More to the point, though, as far as Michelle was concerned, she doubted her staff and her flagship’s officers would be especially reassured by the sight of their commanding officer’s sitting around chewing on her fingernails while she worried.

That thought elicited a quiet snort of amusement, and she ran back through the timing. It was obvious Elizabeth had reacted as promptly (and forcefully) as Michelle had expected. Additional dispatches had arrived since her initial approval of Michelle’s actions — along with the influx of journalists of every stripe and inclination — and it was evident to Michelle that very few people back home had appreciated the patronizing tone Roelas y Valiente and Gyulay had adopted in the Solarians’ so-called responses to Elizabeth’s notes. She also doubted it had surprised anyone, however, since it was so infuriatingly typical of the League’s arrogance.

When the first of the Solarian news crews reached Spindle, it had been obvious there was already plenty of blood in the water as far as they were concerned, even though they’d headed out for the Talbott Quadrant before the League had gotten around to issuing a formal press release about what had happened to Jean Bart. They’d arrived armed with the Manticoran reports of events, but that wasn’t the same thing, by a long chalk. And the Solarian accounts and editorials which had accompanied the follow-on wave that had departed after the official League statements (such as they were and what there was of them) were filled with mingled indignation, anger, outrage, and alarm, but didn’t seem to contain very much in the way of reasoned response.

Michelle knew it wasn’t fair to expect anything else out of them, given the fact that all of this had come at them cold. Not yet, at any rate. And so far, none of the ‘fax stories from the League which had reached Spindle had contained a single solid fact provided by any official Solarian source. Every official statement the Solly newsies had to go on was coming from Manticore, and even without the ingrained arrogance the League’s reporters shared in full with their fellow citizens, it wouldn’t have been reasonable for them to accept the Manticoran version without a healthy dose of skepticism. At the same time, though, it seemed glaringly evident that the majority of the Solly media’s talking heads and pundits were being fed carefully crafted leaks from inside the League bureaucracy and the SLN. Manticore’s competing talking heads and pundits weren’t being leaked additional information, but that was mainly because there was no need to. They were basing their analyses on the facts available in the public record courtesy of the Star Empire of Manticore which, unlike the Solly leaks, had the at least theoretical advantage of actually being the truth, as well. Not that many of Old Terra’s journalists and editorialists seemed aware of that minor distinction.

It was all looking even messier than Michelle had feared it might, but at least the Manticoran version was being thoroughly aired. And, for that matter, she knew the Manticoran version was actually spreading throughout the League faster than the so-called response emerging from Old Chicago. The Star Empire’s commanding position in the wormhole networks could move things other than cargo ships, she thought grimly.

At the same time Elizabeth had dispatched her second diplomatic note to Old Terra, the Admiralty had issued an advisory to all Manticoran shipping, alerting the Star Empire’s innumerable merchant skippers to the suddenly looming crisis. It would take weeks for that advisory to reach all of them, but given the geometry of the wormhole network, it was still likely it would reach almost all of them before any instructions from the League reached the majority of its local naval commanders. And along with the open advisory for the merchies, the same dispatch boats had carried secret instructions to every RMN station commander and the senior officer of every RMN escort force . . . and those instructions had been a formal war warning.

Michelle devoutly hoped it was a warning about a war which would never move beyond the realm of unrealized possibility, but if it did, the Royal Manticoran Navy’s officers’ orders were clear. If they or any Manticoran merchant ship in their areas of responsibility were attacked, they were to respond with any level of force necessary to defeat that attack, no matter who the attackers might be. In the meantime, they were also instructed to expedite the return of Manticoran merchant shipping to Manticore-dominated space, despite the fact that the withdrawal of those merchant ships from their customary runs might well escalate the sense of crisis and confrontation.

And, Michelle felt unhappily certain, office lights were burning late at Admiralty House while Thomas Caparelli and his colleagues worked on contingency plans just in case the entire situation went straight to hell.

For that matter, little though she cared for the thought, it was entirely possible the penny had officially dropped back home by now. But even if the Star Empire had received a formal response from the League — even if the League had announced it would pursue the military option instead of negotiating — Michelle hadn’t heard anything about it yet.

All of which meant she was still very much on her own, despite all the government’s approval of her previous actions and assurances of its future support. She’d received at least some reinforcements, she’d shortstopped the four CLACs of Carrier Division 7.1 on her own authority when Rear Admiral Stephen Enderby turned up in Spindle. Enderby had expected to deliver his LACs to Prairie, Celebrant, and Nuncio, then head home for another load, and the LAC crews had expected nothing more challenging than a little piracy suppression. That, obviously, had changed. Enderby had been more than willing to accept his new orders, and his embarked LACs had been busy practicing for a somewhat more demanding role. She expected her decision to retain them for Tenth Fleet to be approved, as soon as the official paperwork could catch up, and the arrival of another division of Saganami-Cs had been a pleasant surprise — in more ways than one, given its commanding officer. For that matter, still more weight of metal was in the pipeline, although the original plans for the Talbott Quadrant were still recovering from the shock of the Battle of Manticore.

In a lot of ways, given Enderby’s diversion, she was better off at the moment then she would have been under the initial plan, but that might turn out to be remarkably cold comfort if there was any truth to the New Tuscans’ reports that major Solarian reinforcements had already been deployed to the Madras Sector, as well . . . .

Well, you’ve got orders for dealing with that, too, don’t you? she asked herself. Of course, they’re basically to “use your own discretion.” It’s nice to know the folks back home think so highly of your judgment, I suppose, but still . . . .

She inhaled deeply. Baroness Medusa, the Talbott Quadrant’s Imperial Governor, had dispatched her own note directly to Meyers at the same time Michelle had departed for New Tuscany and Josef Byng’s date with several hundred laser heads. It must have reached Verrochio two T-weeks ago, and she wondered what sort of response he’d made.

You’ll be finding out soon enough, girl, she told herself grimly. But even if he dashed off a response the instant Reprise got there with O’Shaughnessy, it couldn’t get back here for another T-week. And one thing Solly bureaucrats aren’t is impetuous about putting their necks on any potential chopping blocks. So even if he didn’t have a thing to do with anything that’s happened — however unlikely that is — I doubt he’s going to have been a lot faster out of the blocks than Roelas y Valiente was.

She remembered the old proverb that said “Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.” It was remarkably little comfort at the moment. She had absolute confidence in her command’s ability to defeat any attack Frontier Fleet might launch against Spindle. They’d have to transfer in scores of additional battlecruisers if they hoped to have any chance against her own Nikes, Saganami-Cs, Enderby’s CLACs, and the flatpack missile pods aboard her ammunition ships. In fact, she doubted Frontier Fleet had enough battlecruisers anywhere this side of Sol itself to take Spindle, even if they could send every one of them to call on her, and battlecruisers were the heaviest ships Frontier Fleet had. But Battle Fleet was another matter, and if the New Tuscans had been right about Solly superdreadnoughts at McIntosh. . . .

She gave an internal headshake and scolded herself once again. If there were Solly ships-of-the-wall in the vicinity, she’d just have to deal with that when she got confirmation. Which, of course, was one reason she’d assigned Oversteegen to defend against Mark 23s. She might relent and pull Apollo back out of the equation, but she doubted it, because the purpose wasn’t really to smack Michael, no matter how much he deserved it for being such a smartass. And no matter how much she would enjoy doing exactly that, for that matter.

No, the purpose was to force one of the best tacticians she knew to pull out all the stops in defense of the Spindle System. Seeing how well her own staff did against a truly capable Mark 23-equipped opponent would have been desirable enough in its own right, yet that was actually secondary, as far as she was concerned. She was confident of her own tactical ability, but there was always something new for even the best tactician to learn, and Michelle Henke had never been too proud to admit that. She’d be watching Rear Admiral Oversteegen closely, and not just to evaluate his performance. If he came up with something that suggested tactical wrinkles to her, she’d pounce on them in a heartbeat, because she might need them altogether too soon . . . and badly.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Dang it all.Posted: August 5th, 2010, 2:10 am
Mission of Honor: Chapter Twelve
Last updated: Monday, May 17, 2010 21:14 EDT

“May I help you, Lieutenant?”

The exquisitely tailored maître d’ didn’t sound as if he really expected to be able to assist two such junior officers, who’d undoubtedly strayed into his establishment by mistake.

“Oh, yes — please! We’re here to join Lieutenant Archer,” Abigail Hearns told him. “Um, we may be a few minutes early, I’m afraid.”

She managed, Ensign Helen Zilwicki observed to sound very . . . earnest. Possibly even a little nervous at intruding into such elegant surroundings, but very determined. And the fact that her father could have bought the entire Sigourney’s Fine Restaurants chain out of pocket change wasn’t particularly in evidence, either. The fact that she was third-generation prolong and looked considerably younger than her already very young age, especially to eyes not yet accustomed to the latest generations of prolong, undoubtedly helped, yet she clearly possessed a fair degree of thespian talent, as well. The maître d’ was clearly convinced she’d escaped from a high school — probably a lower-class high school, given her soft, slow Grayson accent — for the afternoon, at least. His expression of politely sophisticated attentiveness didn’t actually change a millimeter, but Helen had the distinct impression of an internal wince.

“Ah, Lieutenant Archer,” he repeated. “Of course. If you’ll come this way, please?”

He set sail across the intimately lit main dining room’s sea of linen-draped tables, and Abigail and Helen bobbed along in his wake like a pair of dinghies. They crossed to a low archway on the opposite side of the big room, then followed him down two shallow steps into a dining room with quite a different (though no less expensive) flavor. The floor had turned into artfully worn bricks, the walls — also of brick — had a rough, deliberately unfinished look, and the ceiling was supported by heavy wooden beams.

Well, by what looked like wooden beams, Helen thought, although they probably weren’t all that impressive to someone like Abigail who’d grown up in a (thoroughly renovated) medieval pile of stone over six hundred years old. One which really did have massive, age-blackened beams, a front gate fit to sneer at battering rams, converted firing slits for windows, and fireplaces the size of a destroyer’s boat bay.

Two people were seated at one of the dark wooden tables. One of them — a snub nosed, green-eyed officer in the uniform of a Royal Manticoran Navy lieutenant — looked up and waved as he saw them. His companion — a stunningly attractive blonde — turned her head when he waved, and smiled as she, too, saw the newcomers.

“Thank you,” Abigail told the maître d’ politely, and that worthy murmured something back, then turned and departed with what in a less eminent personage might have been described as relieved haste.

“You know,” Abigail said as she and Helen crossed to the table, “you really should be ashamed of the way you deliberately offend that poor man’s sensibilities, Gwen.”

Personally, Helen was reminded rather forcefully of the old saying about pots and kettles, given Abigail’s simpering performance for the same maître d’, but she nobly forbore saying so.

“Me?” Lieutenant Gervais Winton Erwin Neville Archer’s expression was one of utter innocence. “How could you possibly suggest such a thing, Miss Owens?”

“Because I know you?”

“Is it my fault nobody on this restaurant’s entire staff has bothered to inquire into the exalted pedigrees of its patrons?” Gervais demanded. “If you’re going to blame anyone, blame her.”

He pointed across the table at the blonde, who promptly smacked the offending hand.

“It’s not polite to point,” she told him in a buzz saw-like accent. “Even we brutish, lower-class Dresdeners know that much!”

“Maybe not, but that doesn’t make it untrue, does it?” he shot back.

“I didn’t say it did,” Helga Boltitz, Defense Minister Henri Krietzmann’s personal aide, replied, and smiled at the newcomers. “Hello, Abigail. And you too, Helen.”

“Hi, Helga,” Abigail responded, and Helen nodded her own acknowledgment of the greeting as she seated herself beside Helga. Abigail settled into the remaining chair, facing Helen across the table, and looked up as their waiter appeared.

He took their drink orders, handed them menus, and disappeared, and she cocked her head at Gervais as she opened the elegant, two centimeter-thick binder.

“Helga may have put you up to it, and I can’t say I blame her,” she said.” This has to be the snootiest restaurant I’ve ever eaten in, and trust me, Daddy’s taken me to some really snooty places. Not to mention the way they fawn over a steadholder or his family. But you’re the one who’s taking such a perverse enjoyment over thinking about how these people are going to react when they find out the truth.”

“What truth would that be?” Gervais inquired more innocently yet. “You mean the fact that I’m a cousin — of some sort, anyway — of the Queen? Or that Helen here’s sister is the Queen of Torch? Or that your own humble father is Steadholder Owens?”

“That’s exactly what she means, you twit,” Helga told him, blue eyes glinting with amusement, and leaned across the table to whack him gently on the head. “And much as I’m going to enjoy it when they do find out, don’t think I don’t remember how you did exactly the same thing to me!”

“I never misled you in any way,” he said virtuously.

“Oh, no? If I hadn’t looked you up in Clarke’s Peerage, you never would’ve told me, would you?”

“Oh, I imagine I’d have gotten around to it eventually,” he said, and his voice was considerably softer than it had been. He smiled at her, and she smiled back, gave his right hand a pat where it lay on the table between them, then settled back in her chair.

If anyone had suggested to Helga Boltitz eight months ago that she might find herself comfortable with, or actually liking, someone from a background of wealth and privilege, she would have laughed. The idea that someone from Dresden, that sinkhole of hardscrabble, lower-class, grub-for-a-living poverty could have anything in common with someone from such stratospheric origins would have been ludicrous. And, if she were going to be honest, that was still true where the majority of the Talbott Quadrant’s homegrown oligarchs were concerned. More than that, she felt entirely confident she was going to run into Manticorans who were just as arrogant and supercilious as she’d always imagined they’d be.

But Gervais Archer had challenged her preconceptions — gently, but also firmly — and, in the process, convinced her that there were at least some exceptions to the rule. Which explained how she found herself sitting at this table in such monumentally well-connected company.

“Personally,” Helen said, “my only regret is that I probably won’t be here when they do find out.”

At twenty-one, she was the youngest of the quartet, as well as the most junior in rank. And she was also the non-Dresdener who came closest to sharing Helga’s attitudes where aristocrats and oligarchs were concerned. Not surprisingly, given the fact that she’d been born on Gryphon and raised by a Gryphon highlander who’d proceeded to take up with the closest thing to a rabble-rousing anarchist the Manticoran peerage had ever produced when Helen was barely thirteen years old.

“If you really want to see their reaction, I suppose you could tell them yourself this afternoon,” Abigail pointed out.

“Oh, no way!” Helen chuckled. “I might want to be here to see it, but the longer it takes them to figure it out, the more irritated they’re going to be when they finally do!”

Abigail shook her head. She’d spent more time on Manticore than she had back home on Grayson, over the last nine or ten T-years, but despite the undeniable, mischievous enjoyment she’d felt when dissembling for the maître d’, there were times when she still found her Manticoran friends’ attitude towards their own aristocracy peculiar. As Gervais had pointed out, her father was a steadholder, and the deepest longings of the most hard-boiled member of Manticore’s Conservative Association were but pale shadows of the reality of a steadholder’s authority within his steading. The term “absolute monarch” fell comfortably short of that reality, although “supreme autocrat” was probably headed in the right direction.

As a result of her own birth and childhood, she had remarkably few illusions about the foibles and shortcomings of the “nobly born.” Yet she was also the product of a harsh and unforgiving planet and a profoundly traditional society, one whose deference and rules of behavior were based deep in the bedrock of survival’s imperatives. She still found the irreverent, almost fondly mocking attitude of so many Manticorans towards their own aristocracy unsettling. In that respect, she was even more like Helga than Helen was, she thought. Hostility, antagonism, even hatred — those she could understand, when those born to positions of power abused that power rather than meeting its responsibilities. The sort of self-deprecating amusement someone like Gwen Archer displayed, on the other hand, didn’t fit itself comfortably into her own core concepts, even though she’d seen exactly the same attitude out of dozens of other Manticorans who were at least as well born as he was.

I guess you can take the girl off of Grayson, but you can’t take Grayson out of the girl, she thought. It wasn’t the first time that thought had crossed her mind. And it won’t be the last, either, she reflected tartly.

She started to say something else, then paused as their drinks arrived and the waiter took their orders. He disappeared once more, and she sipped iced tea (something she’d had trouble finding in Manticoran restaurants), then lowered her glass.

“Leaving aside the ignoble, although I’ll grant you entertaining, contemplation of the coronaries certain to follow the discovery of our despicable charade, I shall now turn this conversation in a more sober minded and serious direction.”

“Good luck with that,” Helen murmured.

“As I was about to ask,” Abigail continued, giving her younger friend a ferocious glare, “how are things going dirtside, Helga?”

“As frantically as ever.” Helga grimaced, took a sip from her own beer stein, then sighed. “I guess it’s inevitable. Unfortunately, it’s only going to get worse. I don’t think anyone in the entire Quadrant’s ever seen this many dispatch boats in orbit around a single planet before!”

All three of her listeners grimaced back at her in understanding.

“I don’t suppose we can really blame them,” she went on, “even if I do want to shoot the next newsy I see on sight! But exactly how they expect Minister Krietzmann to get anything done when they keep hounding him for ’statements’ and ‘background interviews’ is more than I can imagine.”

“One of the less pleasant consequences of an open society,” Gervais said, rather more philosophically than he felt.

“Exactly,” Abigail agreed, then smiled unpleasantly. “Although I’d like to see the newsy back home on Grayson who thought he could get away with ‘hounding’ Daddy!”

“Well, fair’s fair,” Helen said judiciously. They all looked at her, and she shrugged. “Maybe it’s because I’ve spent so much time watching Cathy Montaigne maneuver back home, but it occurs to me that having Thimble crawling with newsies may be the best thing that could happen.”

“Just how do you mean that?” Gervais asked. In the wrong tone, the question could have been dismissive, especially given the difference in their ages and relative seniority. As it was, he sounded genuinely curious, and she shrugged again.

“Politics is all about perceptions and understandings. I realize Cathy Montaigne’s mainly involved in domestic politics right now, but the same basic principle applies in interstellar diplomacy. If you control the terms of the debate, the advantage is all on your side. You can’t make somebody on the other side make the decision you want, but you’ve got a much better chance of getting her to do that if she’s got to defend her position in the public mind instead of you having to defend your position. Controlling the information — and especially the public perception of that information — is one of the best ways to limit her options to the ones most favorable to your own needs. Don’t forget, if the Sollies want a formal declaration of war, all it takes is one veto by a full member star system to stop them. That’s a pretty significant prize for a PR campaign to go after. And, at the moment, the way we want to control the debate is simply to tell the truth about what happened at New Tuscany, right?”

Gervais nodded, and she shrugged a third time.

“Well, if all the newsies in the universe are here in Spindle getting our side of the story, looking at the sensor data we’ve released, and interviewing our people, that’s what’s going to be being reported back on Old Terra. They can try to spin it any way they want, but the basic message getting sent back to all those Sollies — even by their own newsies — is going to be built on what they’re finding out here, from us.”

“That’s more or less what Minister Krietzmann says,” Helga admitted, “although he’s prone to use some pretty colorful adjectives to describe the newsies in question.”

“I think Lady Gold Peak would agree, too, even if she is doing her dead level best to stay as far away from them as possible,” Gervais said, and Abigail and Helen nodded. As Michelle Henke’s flag lieutenant, he was in a far better position to form that kind of judgment than either of them were.

“What about Sir Aivars?” Helga asked. Helen, who was Sir Aivars Terekhov’s flag lieutenant, raised both eyebrows at her, and Helga snorted. “He may be only a commodore, Helen, but everybody in the Quadrant knows how long he spent in the diplomatic service before he went back into uniform. Besides, Mr. Van Dort and the rest of the Prime Minister’s cabinet all have enormous respect for him.”

“We haven’t actually discussed it,” Helen replied after a moment. “On the other hand, he’s passed up at least half a dozen opportunities I can think of to hide aboard the Jimmy Boy to avoid interviews, so I’d say he was doing his bit to shape public opinion.”

Gervais grinned as she used the crew’s nickname for HMS Quentin Saint-James. The brand-new Saganami-C-class heavy cruiser had been in commission for barely five months, yet she’d had her official nickname almost before the commissioning ceremonies concluded. Most ships wouldn’t have managed the transition that quickly, but in Quentin Saint-James’ case things were a bit different. Her name was on the RMN’s List of Honor, to be kept in permanent commission, and the nickname was the same one which had been applied to the first Quentin Saint-James the better part of two T-centuries ago.

And if “Jimmy Boy” was a youngster, she was scarcely alone in that. In fact, aside from Admiral Khumalo’s ancient superdreadnought flagship Hercules, there wasn’t a single ship heavier than a light cruiser in Admiral Gold Peak’s Tenth Fleet which was even a full year old yet. Indeed, most of the destroyers were no older than Quentin St. James and her sisters.

“Well,” Helga said after a moment, “I imagine the Minister will go right on ‘doing his bit’, too. Don’t expect him to like it, though.”

“Some things are more likely than others,” Helen agreed. Then she snorted.

“What?” Abigail asked.

“Nothing.” Abigail looked skeptical, and Helen chuckled. “All right, I was just thinking about how the first newsy to shove his microphone in Daddy’s face would make out. I’m sure Daddy would be sorry afterwards. He’d probably even insist on paying the medical bills himself.”

“I wondered where you got that physically violent disposition of yours,” Gervais said blandly.

“I am not physically violent!”

“Oh, no?” He did his best to look down his longitude-challenged nose at her. “You may recall that I was sent over to Quentin Saint-James with that note from Lady Gold Peak to the Commodore last week?” She looked at him suspiciously, then nodded. “Well, I just happened to wander by the gym while I was there and I saw you throwing people around the mat with gay abandon.”

“I wasn’t!” she protested with a gurgle of laughter.

“You most certainly were. One of your henchmen told me you were using something called the ‘Flying Mare’s Warhammer of Doom, Destruction, and Despair.’”

“Called the what?” Helga looked at Helen in disbelief.

“It’s not called any such thing, and you know it!” Helen accused, doing her best to glare at Gervais.

“I don’t know about that,” he said virtuously. “That’s what I was told it was called.”

“Okay,” Abigail said. “Now you’ve got to tell us what it’s really called, Helen!”

“The way he’s mangled it, even I don’t know which one it was!”

“Well, try to sort it out.”

“I’m guessing — and that’s all it is, you understand — that it was probably a combination of the Flying Mare, the Hand Hammer, and — maybe — the Scythe of Destruction.”

“And that’s supposed to be better than what he just said?” Abigail looked at her in disbelief. Abigail herself had become proficient in coup de vitesse, but she’d never trained in Helen’s chosen Neue-Stil Handgemenge. “Coup de vitesse doesn’t even have names for most of its moves, but if it did, it wouldn’t have those!”

“Look, don’t blame me,” Helen replied. “The people who worked this stuff out in the first place named the moves, not me! According to Master Tye, they were influenced by some old entertainment recordings. Something called ‘movies.’”

“Oh, Tester!” Abigail shook her head. “Forget I said a thing!”

“What?” Helen looked confused, and Abigail snorted.

“Up until Lady Harrington did some research back home in Manticore — I think she even queried the library computers in Beowulf and on Old Terra, as a matter of fact — nobody on Grayson had ever actually seen the movies our ancestors apparently based their notions of swordplay on. Now, unfortunately, we have. And fairness requires that I admit most of the ’samurai movies’ were at least as silly as anything the Neue-Stil people could have been watching.”

“Well, my ancestors certainly never indulged in anything that foolish,” Gervais said with an air of unbearable superiority.

“Want to bet?” Abigail inquired with a dangerous smile.

“Why?” he asked distrustfully.

“Because if I remember correctly, your ancestors came from Old North America — from the Western Hemisphere, at least — just like mine did.”

“And?”

“And while Lady Harrington was doing her research on samurai movies, she got some cross hits to something called ‘cowboy movies.’ So she brought them along, too. In fact, she got her uncle and his friends in the SCA involved in putting together a ‘movie festival’ in Harrington Steading. Quite a few of those movies were made in a place called Hollywood, which also happens to have been in Old North America. Some of them were actually darned good, but others –” She shuddered. “Trust me, your ancestors and mine apparently had . . . erratic artistic standards, let’s say.”

“That’s all very interesting, I’m sure,” Gervais said briskly, “but it’s leading us astray from the truly important focus we ought to be maintaining on current events.”

“In other words,” Helga told Abigail, “he’s losing the argument, so he’s changing the rules.”

“Maybe he is,” Helen said. “No, scratch that — he definitely is. Still, he may have a point. It’s not like any of us are going to be in a position to make any earth shattering decisions, but between us, we’re working for several people who will be. Under the circumstances, I don’t think it would hurt a bit for us to share notes. Nothing confidential, but the kind of general background stuff that might let me answer one of the Commodore’s questions without his having to get hold of someone in Minister Krietzmann’s office or someone on Lady Gold Peak’s staff, for instance.”

“That’s actually a very good point,” Gervais said much more seriously, nodding at her in approval, and she felt a glow of satisfaction. She was preposterously young and junior for her current assignment, but at least she seemed to be figuring out how to make herself useful.

“I agree,” Abigail said, although as the tactical officer aboard one of the new Roland-class destroyers she was the only person at the table who wasn’t a flag lieutenant or someone’s personal aide, and gave Helen a smile.

“Well, in that case,” Gervais said, “have you guys heard about what Lady Gold Peak is planning to do to Admiral Oversteegen?”

“It’s time, Admiral,” Felicidad Kolstad said.

“I know,” Admiral Topolev of the Mesan Alignment Navy replied.

He sat once more upon MANS Mako’s flag bridge. Beyond the flagship’s hull, fourteen more ships of Task Group 1.1, kept perfect formation upon her, and the brilliant beacon of Manticore-A blazed before them. They were only one light-week from that star, now, and they’d decelerated to only twenty percent of light-speed. This was the point for which they’d been headed ever since leaving Mesa four T-months before. Now it was time to do what they’d come here to do.

“Begin deployment,” he said, and the enormous hatches opened and the pods began to spill free.

The six units of Task Group 1.2 were elsewhere, under Rear Admiral Lydia Papnikitas, closing on Manticore-B. They wouldn’t be deploying their pods just yet, not until they’d reached their own preselected launch point. Topolev wished he’d had more ships to commit to that prong of the attack, but the decision to move up Oyster Bay had dictated the available resources, and this prong had to be decisive. Besides, there were fewer targets in the Manticore-B subsystem, anyway, and the planners had had to come up with the eight additional Shark-class ships for Admiral Colenso’s Task Group 2.1’s Grayson operation from somewhere.

It’ll be enough, he told himself, watching as the pods disappeared steadily behind his decelerating starships, vanishing into the endless dark between the stars. It’ll be enough. And in about five weeks, the Manties are going to get a late Christmas present they’ll never forget.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Dang it all.Posted: August 5th, 2010, 2:11 am
Mission of Honor: Chapter Sixteen
Last updated: Friday, June 18, 2010 21:37 EDT

“I suppose the first thing to worry about is whether or not it’s true,” Sir Barnabas Kew said.

Kew sat with Baroness Selleck and Voitto Tuominen at the conference table behind Honor as she stood gazing out over the thundering cataract of Frontenac Falls. She stood with her hands clasped behind her, Nimitz sitting very still on her shoulder, and her brown eyes were bleak.

“It isn’t,” she said flatly.

Her Foreign Office advisors glanced at one another, then turned as one to look at that ramrod-straight spine, those calmly clasped hands.

“Your Grace, I’ll be the first to admit that neither Manpower nor Mesa have ever been noted for truth in advertising,” Tuominen said after a moment. “This seems a little audacious even for them to be manufacturing out of whole cloth, though, and –”

“It isn’t true,” she repeated in that same flat tone.

She turned away from the window, facing them. But for Nimitz’s slightly flattened ears and slowly twitching tail, the civilians might have made the mistake of assuming she was as calm as she looked, and she smiled sardonically as she tasted their emotions, sensed the way they were settling back into their chairs. Kew, especially, seemed to be searching for the most diplomatic possible way to point out that she couldn’t know that, and she looked directly at him.

“A lot of things could happen in the galaxy, Sir Barnabas,” she told him. “A lot of things I never would have expected. But one thing that isn’t going to happen — that couldn’t happen — would be for Anton Zilwicki to deliberately nuke a park full of kids in some sort of demented terrorist attack. Trust me. I know the man. Nimitz knows the man.” She reached up to caress the treecat’s ears gently. “And that man is utterly incapable of doing something like that.”

“But –” Baroness Selleck began, then stopped, and Honor snorted harshly.

“I don’t doubt he was on Mesa,” she said. “In fact, I have reason to believe he was. What it looks like to me — and I’d really like to be wrong about it — is that Mesa figured out he’d been on-planet and decided to add him to the mix when they came up with their cover story for whatever actually happened.”

She decided, again, not to mention the personal message from Catherine Montaigne which had accompanied the official dispatch from Mount Royal Palace. Or, even more to the point, that she’d already known Zilwicki and Victor Cachat were bound for Mesa even before the Battle of Lovat.

The other three glanced at one another, considering what she’d just said, then looked back at her.

“You think they captured him when he was there, Your Grace?” Selleck asked quietly, and Honor shook her head.

“No,” she said softly. “They didn’t capture him. If they had, they’d have produced him — or at least his body — to substantiate their charges instead of claiming he was ‘caught in his own explosions.’ But I don’t like the fact that no one’s heard from him since Green Pines. If he got off-planet at all, he should have been home, long since. So I am afraid they may finally have managed to kill him.”

Nimitz made a soft, protesting sound of pain, and she stroked his ears again. As she’d said, unlike the civilians sitting around the table, she’d known Anton Zilwicki. In fact, she’d come to know him and Cathy Montaigne very well, indeed, since their return to the Old Star Kingdom following the Manpower Affair in Old Chicago. She and George Reynolds, her staff intelligence officer, had worked closely — if very much under the table — with both of them, and her own credentials with the Audubon ballroom had been part of the reason Zilwicki had been so prepared to share information with her.

No wonder Cathy’s so worried, she thought now, her own emotions grim. She probably wondered if he’d been involved somehow in whatever happened in Green Pines ever since the news broke. I know I did. And then, with the days and weeks dragging past, and no word from him . . . it must’ve been a living hell for her. Then this . . . this travesty. But she knows Anton even better than I do. He may’ve been there, and whatever he was up to might have led to this somehow, but she knows he never would have signed off on nuking the park, no matter what. Which is going to be pretty cold comfort if she’s not only lost the man she loves but thinks she’s going to see him vilified as one of the galaxy’s worst “terrorists” when he’s not even around to defend himself.

“Excuse me, Your Grace, but would you happen to know why he was on Mesa?” Tuominen asked.

She cocked her head at him, and he shrugged.

“I don’t really expect Pritchart or most of the members of her Cabinet to be lining up to take Mesa’s word for what happened,” he said. “I can think of a few of her congressional ‘negotiators’ who’d be likely to believe anything — officially, at least — if they thought it would strengthen their bargaining position, though. Even without that, there’s the media to worry about, and Havenite newsies aren’t all that fond of the Star Empire to begin with. So if there’s another side to this, something we could lay out to buttress the notion that it wasn’t Zilwicki or Torch . . . ”

He let his voice trail off, and Honor snorted again, even more harshly than before.

“First,” she said, “how I know he was on Mesa is privileged information. Information that has operational intelligence implications, for that matter. So, no, I don’t intend to whisper it into a newsies’s ear. Second, I’d think that if I suddenly announced to the media that I ‘just happen’ to know why Captain Zilwicki was on Mesa and that I promise it wasn’t to set off a nuclear device in a public park on Saturday morning, it’s going to sound just a little suspicious. Like the sort of thing someone trying desperately to discredit the truth might come up with on am especially stupid day. And, third, Voitto, I don’t think anyone willing to believe something like this coming from a source like Mesa in the first place is going to change her mind whatever anyone says. Or not, at least, without irrefutable physical proof that Mesa lied.”

“I can see that,” Tuominen acknowledged with a grimace. “Sorry, Your Grace. I guess I’m just looking for a straw to grasp.”

“I don’t blame you.” Honor turned back to the window, looking down on the boat-dotted estuary, wishing she were down there in one of her sloops herself. “And I don’t doubt this is going to complicate our job here in Nouveau Paris, as well. To be honest, though, I’m a lot more worried about its potential impact on Solly public opinion and what it may encourage Kolokoltsov and those other idiots in Old Chicago to do.”

Tuominen nodded unhappily behind her and wondered if one reason he himself was focusing so intensely on the situation here in the Republic of Haven was expressly to avoid thinking about how Old Chicago might have reacted to the same news. It was ironic that Manticore had received the reportage of the Mesan allegations about Green Pines before anyone on Old Earth had. By now, though, the sensational charges were racing outward to all the interstellar community of man, and God only knew how that was likely to impact on the Solarian public’s view of the Star Empire. The one thing Tuominen was prepared to bet on was that it wasn’t going to help.

“I agree that the way the League reacts to this is ultimately likely to be a lot more significant as far as the Star Empire’s concerned, Your Grace,” Selleck said. “Unfortunately, there’s not anything we can do about that. So I think Barnabas and Voitto are right to be considering anything we might be able to do to mitigate the impact here, in the Republic.”

She shrugged.

“Voitto’s right about people like Younger and McGwire. I’ve been quietly developing some additional information sources since we got here, and the more I find out about Younger, the more revolting he turns out to be. I’m still not sure exactly how the internal dynamics of the New Conservatives lay out, but I’m coming to the conclusion he’s a much more important player than we’d assumed before we left Manticore. If there’s anyone on Pritchart’s side of the table who’s likely to try to use something like this, it’s Younger.”

“But how can he use it, Carissa?” Kew asked. “I realize the media’s going to have a field day, whatever we do. And God knows there’s enough ‘anti-Manty’ sentiment here in the Republic already for these allegations to generate even more public unhappiness with the fact that their government’s negotiating with us at all. But having said all of that, it’s the only game in town. The bottom line is that Pritchart and her people have to be even more determined than we are to keep us from blowing up their capital star system!”

“Really?” Honor turned her head, looking over her shoulder at him. “In that case, why don’t we already have an agreement?” she asked reasonably. “Carissa’s exactly right about Younger, and I wouldn’t be too sure McGwire doesn’t fall into the same category. But everything about Younger’s mind glow” — she reached up to Nimitz again, suggesting (not entirely accurately) where her certainty about the Havenite’s emotions came from — “suggests that he really doesn’t care what happens to the rest of the universe, as long as he gets what he wants. Or, to put it another way, he’s absolutely convinced he’s going to be able to make things come out the way he wants them to, and he’s prepared to do whatever it takes to accomplish that.” She grimaced. “His and McGwire’s obstructionism isn’t just about getting the best terms they possibly can for the Republic. They’re looking to cut their own domestic deals, improve their own positions here in Nouveau Paris, and Younger would blow up the negotiations in a heartbeat if he believed it would further his own political ambitions.”

“I’m less afraid of his managing to completely sabotage the talks, Your Grace,” Selleck said, “than I am about his stretching them out. Or trying to, at any rate. From what I’ve seen of him, I think he’s calculating that the worse things get between us and the Sollies, the more likely we are to accept his terms in order to get some kind of a treaty so we can deal with the League without worrying about having the Republic on our back.”

“That would be . . . fatally stupid of him,” Kew said.

“I don’t think he really believes the Queen — I mean, the Empress — is willing to pull the trigger on the entire Republic if we don’t get a formal treaty in time, Barnabas,” Tuominen said heavily.

“And even if he does believe we’ll do that in the end, he doesn’t think it’s going to happen tomorrow,” Honor agreed. “As far as he’s concerned, he’s still playing for time and the time’s still there to be played for. And let’s face it — to some extent, he’s right. Her Majesty’s not going to turn the Navy loose on Haven’s infrastructure any sooner than she thinks she absolutely has to. If she were going to do that, she wouldn’t have sent us to negotiate in the first place.”

And I think I just won’t mention how hard it was to bring her to that position, Honor added mentally.

“The problem is that no matter how much time he thinks he has, we don’t have an unlimited supply of it, and this is only going to make that worse. So what I’m really worried about is that he’s going to miscalculate with . . . unhappy consequences for everyone involved.”

“I agree.” Selleck nodded firmly. “The question is how we keep him from doing that.”

“I don’t know we can do anything directly with him,” Honor replied. “On the other hand, President Pritchart’s obviously had a lot of experience dealing with him domestically. So I think the logical move is for me to have a private little conversation with her to make her aware of our concerns.”

“Good afternoon, Admiral Alexander-Harrington.”

Eloise Pritchart stood, reaching across her desk to shake Honor’s hand as Angela Rousseau escorted her into the presidential office.

“Good afternoon, Madam President,” Honor replied, and suppressed a smile as Sheila Thiessen nodded a bit brusquely to Spencer Hawke. After two a half weeks, the two bodyguards and paranoiacs-in-chief had achieved a firm mutual respect. In fact, they were actually beginning to like one another — a little, at least — although neither of them would have been willing to admit it to a living soul.

“Thank you for making time for me so promptly,” she continued out loud as she settled into what had become her customary chair here in Pritchart’s office. Nimitz flowed down into her lap and curled up there, grass-green eyes watching the president alertly, and Pritchart smiled.

“Right off the top of my head, Admiral, I can’t think of anyone who has a higher priority where ‘making time’ is concerned,” she said dryly.

“I suppose not,” Honor acknowledged with a faint, answering smile.

“Now that you’re here, can I offer you some refreshment?” the president inquired. “Mr. Belardinelli has some more of those chocolate chip cookies you like so much hidden away in his desk drawer, you know.”

She smiled conspiratorially, and Honored chuckled. But she also shook her head, smile fading, and Pritchart let her chair come fully back upright.

“Well, in that case,” the president said, “I believe you said you had something confidential you needed to discuss?”

“That’s true, Madam President.” Honor glanced at Thiessen, then back at the Pritchart. “I’m going to assume Ms. Thiessen is as deeply in your confidence as Captain Hawke is in mine.”

Her tone made the statement a polite question, and Pritchart nodded.

“I thought so,” Honor said. “On the other hand, you might want to switch off the recorders for this conversation.” She smiled again, thinly. “I’m sure your office has to be at least as thoroughly wired for sound as Queen Elizabeth’s. Normally, that wouldn’t bother me, but what I’m here to discuss has intelligence operational implications. Implications for your operations, not Manticore’s.”

Pritchart’s eyebrows arched. Then she glanced at Thiessen. Her senior bodyguard looked less than enthralled by Honor’s request, but she made no overt objection.

“Leave your personal recorder on, Sheila,” the president directed. “If it turns out we need to make this part of the official record after the fact, we can download it from yours.” She looked back at Honor. “Would that be satisfactory, Admiral?”

“Perfectly satisfactory from my perspective, Madam President.” Honor shrugged. “I doubt very much that anything I’m about to tell you is going to have repercussions for the Star Empire’s intel operations.”

“I have to admit you’ve managed to pique my interest,” Pritchart said as Thiessen quietly shut down all of the other pickups in her office.

“And I suppose I should admit that piquing your interest was at least partly what I was after,” Honor acknowledged.

“So now that you’ve done it, what was it you wanted to say?”

The president’s mind glow was tinged with rather more wariness than was evident in her expression or her tone, Honor noted.

“I wanted to address the allegations coming out of Mesa about the Green Pines atrocity,” Honor said, and tasted Pritchart’s surprise. Obviously, the president hadn’t expected her to go there.

“Specifically,” Honor continued, “the charges that Captain Zilwicki was on Mesa as a ballroom operative specifically to set up the explosions as an act of terrorism. Or, at least, as an act of what they call ‘asymmetrical warfare’ against someone he and the Kingdom of Torch believed were planning a genocidal attack on Congo. I realize there’s a certain surface persuasiveness to their version of what happened, especially given the Captain’s long term relationship with Catherine Montaigne, his daughter’s status as Queen of torch, and the fact that he’s made very little secret of his sympathy for the Ballroom. Despite that, I’m absolutely confident that Mesa’s version of what happened is a complete fabrication.”

She paused, and Pritchart frowned.

“I’m no more likely than the next woman to believe anything Mesa says, Admiral,” the president said. “Nonetheless, I’m a little at a loss as to how this has operational implications for our intelligence.”

“In that case, Madam President, I think you should probably sit down with Director Trajan and ask him where Special Officer Cachat is right now.”

Despite decades of political and clandestine experience, Pritchart stiffened visibly, and Honor tasted the spike of surprise tinged with apprehension (and what tasted for all the world like a hint of exasperation) which went through the president.

“Special Officer . . . Cachat, did you say?” From Pritchart’s tone, it was clear she was simply playing the game as the rules required, rather than that she actually expected Honor to be diverted.

“Yes, Madam President. Special Officer Cachat. You know — the Havenite agent who’s probably more responsible than anyone else for the fact of Torch’s independence in the first place? The fellow who’s been hobnobbing with Captain Zilwicki, Queen Berry, and Ruth Winton for the last couple of years? The one who’s your agent in charge for the Erewhon sector? That Special Officer Cachat.”

Pritchart winced ever so slightly, then sighed.

“I suppose I should be getting used to having you trot out things like that, Admiral,” she said resignedly. “On the other hand, aside from the evidence that you know far more about our intelligence community than I really wish you did, I still don’t see exactly how this ties in with Green Pines.”

“Actually, it’s fairly simple,” Honor replied. “According to Mesa, Captain Zilwicki went to Green Pines as a Ballroom operative for the specific purpose of using nuclear explosives against civilian targets. I’m sure your own analysts can tell you that Anton Zilwicki was probably the last person in the galaxy who would have signed off on that sort of operation, no matter what justification he thought he had. In addition, however, you should be aware that before Captain Zilwicki departed for Mesa — and, yes, he was on-planet — he stopped by my flagship at Trevor’s Star to discuss the Webster assassination and the attack on Torch with me. At which time” — her eyes bored suddenly into Pritchart’s across the president’s desk — “he was accompanied by Special Officer Cachat.”

“What?”

This time astonishment startled the question out of Pritchart, and Sheila Thiessen stiffened in shock behind the president. Both women stared at Honor for several seconds before Pritchart shook herself.

“Let me get this straight,” she said in an odd, half-exasperated, half-resigned tone, raising her right hand, index finger extended. “You’re telling me the intelligence officer in charge of all of my spying operations in the Erewhon sector entered a closed Manticoran star system and actually went aboard a Manticoran admiral’s flagship?”

“Yes.” Honor smiled. “I had the impression Special Officer Cachat’s methods are just a bit . . . unorthodox, perhaps.”

“A bit?” Pritchart snorted and rolled her eyes. “Since you’ve had the dubious pleasure of meeting him, Admiral, I might as well admit I’m usually undecided between pinning a medal on him and shooting him. And I see I am going to have to have a little discussion with Director Trajan about his current whereabouts. Although, to be fair to the Director, I doubt very much that Cachat bothered to inform him about his agenda before he went haring off to Trevor’s Star. Not, mind you, that anyone’s disapproval of his travel plans would have slowed him down for a minute.”

“I see you have met him personally,” Honor observed dryly.

“Oh, yes, Admiral. Oh, yes! I have indeed had that . . . pleasure.”

“I’m glad, since that probably means you’re going to be readier to believe what I’m about to tell you.”

“Where Victor Cachat is concerned? Please, Admiral! I’m prepared to believe just about anything when he’s involved!”

“Well,” Honor said, suppressing an urge to chuckle, “as I say, he and Captain Zilwicki came to visit me back in April. In fact, they came for the specific purpose of assuring me that they — both of them — were certain the Republic was not involved in the attack on Queen Berry and Princess Ruth.”

Her tone had become far more serious, and Pritchart’s nostrils flared.

“Given the flavor of Special Officer Cachat’s mind glow,” Honor continued, stroking Nimitz, “I had no choice but to accept that he genuinely believed that. In fact, I have to admit I was deeply impressed by his personal courage in coming to tell me so.” She looked into Pritchart’s eyes again. “He was fully prepared to suicide, Madam President. Indeed, he expected to suicide after delivering his message to me, because he was pretty sure I wasn’t going to allow him off my flagship afterward.”

“But you did,” Pritchart said softly, and it wasn’t a question.

“Yes, I did,” Honor acknowledged, and gave her head a little toss. “To be honest, it never occurred to me not to. He . . . deserved better. And, even more importantly, perhaps, I not only believed he was telling me the truth, I agreed with his analysis of what had probably happened.”

Thiessen’s eyes narrowed, but Pritchart only cocked her head.

“And that analysis was –?”

“That, barring the possibility of some sort of unauthorized rogue operation, the Republic had had nothing to do with the Torch attack,” Honor said flatly. “And, by extension, that Admiral Webster’s assassination almost certainly hadn’t been sanctioned by your Administration, either. Which, in my opinion, made Manpower the most likely culprit.”

“Then why didn’t you –” Pritchart began with an obviously involuntary flash of anger.

“I did.” Honor’s voice was even flatter. “I discussed my meeting, and my conclusions, with — Well, let’s say at the highest level of the Government. Unfortunately, by then events were already in motion. And, frankly, all I could really tell anyone was that Special Officer Cachat believed the Republic hadn’t been involved. I think you’ll agree that despite my own belief that he was right, that scarcely constituted proof.”

Prichard settled back, gazing at Honor for several seconds, then drew a deep breath.

“No,” she acknowledged. “No, I don’t suppose it did. But, oh, Admiral, how I wish someone had listened to you!”

“I do, too, Madam President,” Honor said softly. Brown eyes met platinum, both dark with sorrow for all the men and women who had died after that meeting.

“I do, too,” Honor repeated, more briskly, after a moment. “But the real reason I’ve brought this up at this point is that Captain Zilwicki and Special Officer Cachat did believe Manpower — and possibly even the Mesan system government — were directly implicated in the attacks. In addition, our own intelligence agencies have been steadily turning up evidence that there’s more going on where Manpower and Mesa are concerned than anyone’s previously assumed. Captain Zilwicki and Special Officer Cachat intended to find out what that something ‘more’ was, and according to what I believe to be an unimpeachable source — Catherine Montaigne, in point of fact — the two of them, jointly, were headed for Mesa.”

“Together?” Pritchart, Honor noted, didn’t sound particularly incredulous.

“Together.” Honor nodded. “Which means that while Captain Zilwicki was on Mesa, a point of which the Mesans obviously became aware, he was definitely not there on a Ballroom terrorist operation. Given the various . . . peculiarities where Torch is concerned, I think it’s very likely the Ballroom was involved in getting them onto Mesa in the first place. And it’s entirely possible that what happened in Green Pines was actually a Ballroom operation, or the result of one. The last thing Captain Zilwicki or Special Officer Cachat would have wanted would have been to compromise their own mission by becoming involved in a major terrorist strike, however, so any involvement they may have had must have been peripheral. Accidental, really.”

“I can see that.” Pritchart nodded slowly, and Honor reminded herself that, unlike most heads of state, the president had once been a senior commander in a clandestine resistance movement. That undoubtedly helped when it came to grasping the underlying logic of covert operations.

“I don’t know for certain why Mesa’s made no mention of Special Officer Cachat,” Honor said. “It may be they aren’t aware he was even present. More probably, the Star Empire’s who they really want to damage with this at the moment. Explaining that intelligence operatives of two star nations who’ve been at war with one another for over twenty years just decided on a whim to join forces with the Ballroom would probably be a bit much even for the Sollies public’s credulity. The best-case possibility, of course, would be that they weren’t aware of his presence and that he actually managed, somehow, to escape.”

“And Captain Zilwicki?” Prichard asked gently.

“And I very much doubt Captain Zilwicki did.” Honor made no effort to hide her pain at that thought. “They wouldn’t have handed this to the media — especially not with the assertion that he was killed in one of ‘his own’ explosions — unless they knew he was dead.”

“I’m deeply and sincerely sorry to hear that,” Pritchart said, and Honor tasted the truth of her statement in her mind glow.

“The important point, Madam President,” Honor said, “is that I think you can see from what I’ve just told you that everything Mesa’s claiming is a fabrication. There are probably nuggets of truth buried in it, but I doubt we’ll ever know what they actually were. From my perspective, the immediate and critical point is to keep this from sidetracking our negotiations. I don’t doubt it presents opportunities for self-interested parties to go fishing in troubled waters,” she carefully did not mention any specific names, “but it would be very unfortunate if someone managed to derail these talks. In particular, if Mesa’s allegations play into the situation between the Star Empire and the Solarian League in a way that heightens tensions still farther or even leads to additional military action, Queen Elizabeth’s flexibility where a negotiated settlement is concerned is likely to be compromised.”

She saw the understanding in Pritchart’s eyes, tasted it in the president’s mind glow, but she knew it had to be said out loud, as well.

“It may well be that at least part of Mesa’s objective is to do just that, Madam President. Manpower certainly has as much reason to hate the Republic as it does to hate the Star Empire. I could readily believe that someone in Mendel saw this as an opportunity to force the Star Empire’s hand where military operations against the Republic are concerned as well as a means to provoke an open war between us and the League. And I think” — she gazed into Pritchart’s eyes again — “that it would be a tragedy if they succeeded.”

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Dang it all.Posted: August 6th, 2010, 1:42 am
Why is it that every time Thiel posts about bypassing WebSense does someone successively post what appears to be a lengthy RP-style post? Is there an inside joke I'm missing?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Dang it all.Posted: August 6th, 2010, 4:42 am
.... he wanted us to copy and paste the contents of a book preview because WS was blocking it on his computer.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: