Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 1st, 2011, 8:55 am
KimWerner wrote:
It's the european sickness! As long as USA increase their MIL budget, the european countries do the opposite :( Now, the price has to be paid?
Beg your pardon?
USA decreases their militairy budget also.
The only navies who are increasing are, france, japan in our allied section.
And for the rest i know of, is russia, china, india, south korea.

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 1st, 2011, 9:16 am
Quote:
You guys are perhaps aware that the Cumberland only last year underwent the extensive modernization and reconstruction, which practically amounts to a half-life overhaul.
This sounds about right: spend millions on refurbishment, then either sell her or scrap her - though if the latter some other navy should get a bargain :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 1st, 2011, 10:21 am
Here is a thread on keypub about the same story
http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=107038

I know a person whom has been on the Cumberland and he wishes the York has been available sooner so they could have Long Range SAM cover. He also says that he wishes Typhoons had been deployed for CAPs to Malta.

I think it won't be long be for more 'El Darado Canyon' Missions but this time with F/A-18E from the Enterprize or Carl Vison.

Many Thanks

Nick

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 1st, 2011, 12:09 pm
Yeah the Government is great at preaching economy and saving money and then proceeds to waste millions/ billions on half-finished work or doing it and then throwing it away.
TSR.2 and Nimrod MRA.4 are perhaps more famous examples but time and time again it seems to be the case.
Maybe Cumberland should be swapped for another Type 22? After the Cold War the RN valued the Type 22 Batch IIIs higher and more useful than the newer Type 23s.

The PM's threats of military action seem hollow. With what? How could we afford it and being bogged down in other theatres I dobut there is more expansion left in the military. Once the SDR and other spending cuts since then start to bite the RAF, Navy and Army will have even less stretch capability and pretty soon the inventory of the RAF isn't going to allow CAP at home, in the Falklands and Afghanistan and Malta or god-knows where else at the same time.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 1st, 2011, 3:29 pm
Hood wrote:
TSR.2 and Nimrod MRA.4 are perhaps more famous examples but time and time again it seems to be the case.
From what I've heard the MRA.4 still had serious issues with weapons release and avionics. But dropping the program when they did they prevented the spending of any more money on a platform that wasn't really up to snuff. The fact that the original airframes had problems as basic as standardization of the location of where the wings attach to the fuselage.

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 1st, 2011, 4:16 pm
And from what I heard they were ****ing stupid to cancel them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 1st, 2011, 9:22 pm
MitcheLL300 wrote:
KimWerner wrote:
It's the european sickness! As long as USA increase their MIL budget, the european countries do the opposite :( Now, the price has to be paid?
Beg your pardon?
USA decreases their militairy budget also.
The only navies who are increasing are, france, japan in our allied section.
And for the rest i know of, is russia, china, india, south korea.
Sorry if I've offended you :? I know US cuts down, but compared to the european states in percents it's minor. US still have a militairy budget bigger than rest of the world together ;)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 1st, 2011, 10:11 pm
Meh you didnt ;)
But still usa doesnt have the biggest militairy budget.
China has spended so much the last 4 years on nuclear/carrier/stealth development that they have passed everybody.
They are also building secret bases, 2 are build and one of them we know where it is.
But not the entrance's/size etc etc.
In that base, they build 4 nuclear submarines. And we knew they existed only 8 years after they where build.
What can we expect more?

And for the british, its not the only country in bad shape showing off at libya.
The netherlands needed a replacement for De Ruyter at somalie, tromp went in and is now at libya.
The next and only ship that can replace tromp for libya is the Van Amstel (You all know where i sail on).
The rest is or sold, or broken down, or on mission, or in maintaince.
I love my government.
Its even so bad, we bought CV90's, and cant even use them because lack of spare parts and amunition!
OLE!

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 1:26 am
KimWerner wrote:
I know US cuts down, but compared to the european states in percents it's minor. US still have a militairy budget bigger than rest of the world together ;)
There are two big reasons for the US having the worlds largest military budget (which is not larger than the rest of the world despite what you may have heard).
  1. The US is honest about the full size of the US budget.
  2. The US secures the sea lanes of the entire world. We do this because We need to be secured to keep our economy running. This is something that must be done for all mercantile nations to have their economy stay running smoothly.*
The fact that the US also maintains a full nuclear Triad (Russia, and China being the only other rations that do so) doesn't help the budget stay small.

This is not to say that the US military budget couldn't be cut, but would require a different national geo-security strategy, and would be a conversation for a different thread.

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
TimothyC wrote:
KimWerner wrote:
I know US cuts down, but compared to the european states in percents it's minor. US still have a militairy budget bigger than rest of the world together ;)
There are two big reasons for the US having the worlds largest military budget (which is not larger than the rest of the world despite what you may have heard).
  1. The US is honest about the full size of the US budget.
  2. The US secures the sea lanes of the entire world. We do this because We need to be secured to keep our economy running. This is something that must be done for all mercantile nations to have their economy stay running smoothly.*
The fact that the US also maintains a full nuclear Triad (Russia, and China being the only other rations that do so) doesn't help the budget stay small.

This is not to say that the US military budget couldn't be cut, but would require a different national geo-security strategy, and would be a conversation for a different thread.
In fact we don't have to disagree. I'll think we all agree, that western nations in common have put them selves in this bad position. They figured that the world now was peaceful enough that we could cut militairy and score economical. Once again reality kicks back :o

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: