Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 13  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 513 »
Rhade
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 11:34 am
heuhen wrote: *
We are here in Norway start asking, how solid is the ship build. It's supposed to withstand a lot
Near half of the ship side was cut open, 2/5 or 3/5 of compartments open to water and flooded. Engine room probably too. I doubt that any other ship would survive such collision and stay afloat.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 12:32 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_8EIcjUsyc
Resting on its side now apparently.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 12:44 pm
There is other vid on that channel... that tug at the end, he is pushing frigate towards land or trying to pull it back?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGHPkw6F5cA

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 1:12 pm
Rhade wrote: *
There is other vid on that channel... that tug at the end, he is pushing frigate towards land or trying to pull it back?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGHPkw6F5cA
In that video: the tug is holding the frigate in to land, to prevent it from moving, while waiting for more tugs. Later they pushed here more inn, where she is laying at a +-45° angle.

The latest update is that they are drilling bolts in to the ground, to lock the frigate in place, before they can start the work

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 1:40 pm
Close up, solid hit.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 3:00 pm
Rhade wrote: *
Close up, solid hit.
[ img ]
There is also damage under water on here. The Hangar damage comes from the tank boat anchor, have I read.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 3:39 pm
As the Navy says, a frigate is a light ship, build to be light, it's not an heavily armored ship like they did in the old days. if the ship should be heavily armored, it would be big and heavy. With today weapon technology there is no point building a ship heavy armored, it's wouldn't help.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 3:58 pm
Hood wrote: *
Looks very serious.

I know in all recent cases of ramming, naval vessels have hit fully laden cargo vessels, but I wonder how strongly built and survivable modern naval vessels really are? Has the drive to reduce weight and cost gone too far?
Ramming went out of favor as a naval tactic because it is short range, not because it is ineffective. Steel is what it is, and you will not reject millions of kg-m/s by any realistic mechanism. Let us not forget that tough, beefy ships will injure themselves under their own weight if drydocked carelessly.

I close with a picture,
[ img ]
If you think that looks bad, you should see the other guy, the destroyer HMS Punjabi (both halves of her).

My best wishes, futile as those are, are with the teams working to save the frigate.

Last edited by erik_t on November 8th, 2018, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 4:09 pm
The part of the gash seen in Rhade's pictures is around 35 meters long (guessed using Heuhen's drawings of the class). Realistically, since the damage seem to extend aft on parts of the ship already below water, I'd say it could be in order of 50 meters. The ship, overall, is 134m long.

Lokking at Heuhen's pictures instead, in one the sonar bulb at the bow can be seen out of the water, in others, the bow is further submerged back to the waterline. It seems she is still settling down.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 4:11 pm
The bow submergence/exposure could just be a factor of the tides. I'd be hesitant to make much judgement without a more careful study of that, and without more carefully checking on the exact timing of the photos.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 13  [ 126 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 513 »

Jump to: