Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 13  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1113 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: December 23rd, 2018, 3:43 pm
Well what can I say, I love to be unrealistic optimistic. For then afterward hate my self for it, when I realize how stupid it is!

But at least I'm optimistic, to the last minute... if just some people could be that... nah

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: January 4th, 2019, 11:04 pm
couple of comments that have come from the chief of the Navy:
Quote:
The time after KNM "Helge Ingstad" is raised will be decisive for whether it can ever sail again
thes faster they can prevent corrosion... these better. but so long it isn't in contact with air... but still it have been under water 2 months.... and with the storm we had this christmas, wonder what damage she received during that storm.
Quote:
The goal now is to carry out the raising in January. However, if the vessel can ever sail for its own machine again, it is highly uncertain.
Quote:
But the longer the frigate is under water, the greater the damage, says Rear Admiral Nils Andreas Stensønes, chief of the Navy.
Quote:
He says that the most critical phase of saving the vessel will be after the frigate is raised from the seabed.

- When it is raised and air and oxygen are added, there will be strong corrosion. We have made a plan to reduce the damage as much as possible. Anyway, we are talking about years before the vessel is in operation again, if it is at all possible to save it, he says.
Electronics are gone, except those electronics that are designed for that... but 2 months! But I think he is talking about metal here... i hope. How want to use missiles and cannons that have been under water?

Quote:
The re-admiral says Norway is more vulnerable after losing one of a total of five frigates.
Quote:
There is always one in for service. If we come in an emergency situation where we had needed all four frigates and now we only have three. We are trying to shorten maintenance periods so that we have the four frigates available to a greater extent than we have had before, he says.
Shorter maintenance and hugh workload on 3+1 frigates... hm. yeah, what happened in USA when they started to save in on there service back then.... if I remember correct.

If they have success on corrosion protection, my bet she will be rebuild within 3 years and on it's way to USA to have it's weapons systems tested, but after such rebuild she would probably be a totally different vessel compared to here sisters and set the standard for here sisters MLU.

or:

If they fail on the corrosion protection, I think the last 4 frigates will be pushed to there limits and eventually replaced earlier than planed, so insted for between 2030-2040 with a +-30 year service, I bet some of them will show some "problems" after +-15/20 year service.

But at the moment it looks like it goes...... "that way!"

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: February 5th, 2019, 8:54 pm
- the lift of Helge Ingstad Will hopefully start on Tuesday, earliest (need 5 days with good weather)
- the lift could have been done earlier, but west coast of Norway have been in a period of bad weather (normal for Norway)

Minestry of defence have put up suggestion for if the frigate is to "badly damaged!" (Yeah, they said that):

- Navy have to few vessels with lost of 1 of 5 frigates
- suggestion of keep using Skjold class to beyond 2024, instead of early retirement.
- increase number of submarines if they are going for Skjold class solution.
- more aircraft to cover the area Navy is lacking in with the lost of the frigate.
- build a new frigate, based on the newest Norwegian Coast Guard vessel hull.
- jumping on other countries frigate programs.

There is a chance Norway will build a new frigate in Norway, and that will be first time Norway do that in 60 years. I don't see a problem with that, since Norway already build quite good Coast guard vessel with military standards and did also design/build Skjold class.

[Profile] [Quote]
Eeo
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: February 5th, 2019, 11:37 pm
Let's face it - HELGE INGSTAD is never going to sail again. Anyone saying otherwise are either incompetent, smoking something really good, or toeing the politically correct line. Internally in the Navy, this is the accepted conclusion and even sources within the Navy staff say that while officially they are still planning to repair her unless a proper survey (which can only be undertaken once she's dry) says its a no-go, no one believes this to be realistic. Any conservation efforts will realistically be to try to salvage things that can be reused on the remainder of the class.

It is already publically acknowledged by both the Chief of Defence and the Chief of the Navy that something went terribly wrong on HELGE INGSTAD's bridge, but we don't know what as that is the task of the Accident Investigations Board and Police to find out. The Navy has taken a very hands-off approach to this, at the behest of the Accident Board and Police.

As heuhen said, our gloriously incompetent Defence Minister had to answer the tough questions from Parliament today, and came up with a few options to repairing HELGE INGSTAD:

1) Piggyback off other countries' warship orders and order one or more replacement frigate(s)
2) Purchase more submarines from Germany than the four we have ordered
3) The Navy is looking into the possibility of modifying the design for the JAN MAYEN-class coast guard ships currently under construction, using the hull as a basis for a warship class with capabilities somewhere between that of a SKJOLD-class missile boat and a NANSEN-class frigate. Maybe something for our alt-hist section?

Leasing a frigate from an ally is out of the question, as there are no available hulls. Still, I have heard serious proposals about lending a few OHPs from the US as a stop-gap. Regardless, we will see the SKJOLD-class in service far beyond 2025, the remaining four NANSENs will be even harder operated, and the "New surface capability" project that started a few years ago that will replace SKJOLD is accelerated. At this time, they're looking at a surface capability in the 1000-ton range, ocean-going with anti-surface and self-defence capability. I.e. a corvette.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: February 6th, 2019, 1:14 am
Quote:
"New surface capability" project that started a few years ago that will replace SKJOLD is accelerated. At this time, they're looking at a surface capability in the 1000-ton range, ocean-going with anti-surface and self-defence capability. I.e. a corvette.
If you come over some pictures/drawings/render of suggestion of these vessels or anything else, I would love to see them.

How do yo think a Jan Mayen class Corvette/frigate version look like (equipped).

But I think the Government got quit a wake up call, showing how week the Navy are, by just loosing 1 ship... but is the wake up call strong enough, only the future can tell.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 5:56 pm
Tonight they start preparation on Monday they will start the lift, they have finally got the 5+- weather window they need. some are very rare in this region there was only a 5-10% chance for that (50% chance for a single day with nice weather :shock: )

the operation will go this way:

First phase: lift of the vessel a couple of centimeters and get it on "on the keel.." so they can pull under the two last chains.
Second phase: Raise the frigate up until it is about the same as it did in the sea before the accident, while it is being emptied for water. This is probably the most critical phase.
Third phase: Finally, the barge will be sunk 9 meters below the water and put under the frigate, before raising the barge with the frigate on top.

during the entire lift operation and while it's on the barge, the frigate will be sprayed down with fresh water (and possibly with chemicals) to try preventing that part of the vessel and equipment that have been under water to rust, when those surfaces get in contact with air (when saltwater and metal get in contact with oxygen, it will start to corrode). The reason they want to do this is that they will still lock for the possibility to restore the frigate (highly unlikely), or save parts from the frigate so the can be used as spare-parts on the other 4 frigates. (most likely).
Norwegian "TV2" wrote:
The operation will becomes one of the largest and most complicated in Norwegian history. Much is at stake, and there are many involved.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: February 26th, 2019, 11:15 am
live from the lift of Helge Ingstad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iynqr4F ... iskUkeblad

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: March 1st, 2019, 5:39 pm
Those that have been onboard here, says she is in better shape than expected and most room have managed to stay dry except those that was directly affected by the damage and where there have been a leakage through bulkheads (some due to a design error, some of other reasons). on the live stream, we can see that she is almost ready to be put on the barge. youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AQ1fSm ... iskUkeblad

The Navy have a list of 1400 components that are prioritized for Conservation, it's anything from Mechanical parts to electronics. The experts says as long it have been under water and not in contact with air, it's still a possibility to save many components and thes faster they can start on that task, thes better. For the ship it self. the Navy have to do an inspection before they will come with there recommendation to the government, due to the government are working on the next long term plan for the military and they have to make space for either repair or replace (Yes they are still looking into repairing it, if possible. But that because they want to hold all windows open as long as possible, it comes down to cost, if rebuild/repair is half the cost, of today's frigates that are far more expensive than back then...)

[ img ]

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

large picture:
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: March 2nd, 2019, 3:09 pm
[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: March 2nd, 2019, 4:06 pm
waiting with impatience full view of underwater hull damage from both side, to compare & analyse !

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 13  [ 126 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1113 »

Jump to: