Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Author Message
Psychicumbreon
Post subject: Re: Second World War Heavy Bomber ChallengePosted: April 29th, 2021, 11:37 am
Offline
Posts: 37
Joined: July 25th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Crew: 8 (pilot, co-pilot/flight engineer, navigator/ventral gunner, bombardier/nose gunner, radio operator, waist gunner (2), tail gunner.)
Length: 23.9m (78.4ft)
Wingspan: 31.4m (103ft)
Empty weight: 17,600kg (38801.3lb)
Max takeoff weight: 29,402kg (64820.3lb)
Powerplant: 4x Saab SFA-16.2.8 'Varpunen' V-12 piston engine (1,280hp each)
Propellers: 4 bladed constant speed propellers

Performance
Maximum speed: 470km/h (292mph, 253kn)
Cruising speed: 282km/h (175mph, 152kn)
Endurance: 16 hours, 7 minutes
Service ceiling: 6,400m (21,000ft)

Armament
Weaponry: 3x Madsen M1931 20mm autocannon, 3x HA M1928C(f) 13.2mm machine guns
Bombload: 5,900kg (13007.2lb)

The RP-3 would start life as a modified RP-2 bomber that, after much modifications, would be given not only its own designation, but would be a constant sight on the Greenland-Stormkold-Norway trade routes, generally carrying either anti-surface weaponry or up to 90 "Sturmheld" bomblets, packaged in 9 bomblet clusters. The Sturmheld was designed to shotgun an area of water with 22kg bomblets, and while the bomblets had contact fuses, the sheer area they could cover, combined with the fact only one, in theory, was needed to kill a sub, made them potent anti-submarine weapons. However, by VE day only 72 had been produced, and all of these would be completely retired by 1957, being replaced by the smaller PT-5 'Merimyrsky'
[ img ]

_________________
Born too late to explore Earth, too soon to explore the stars, just in time to waste time on the internet.


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Wolftheriot
Post subject: Re: Second World War Heavy Bomber ChallengePosted: May 3rd, 2021, 10:45 pm
Offline
Posts: 18
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 4:46 am
Location: Milkyway,2nd left 3rd planet in the solar system
König Kö 123

Crew: 18 (Pilot, Co-pilot, Bombardier,(2)Flight Engineer, Navigator, Radio Operator,(4)Waist Gunners,(2)Nose Gunners,(4)Top Gunners,Tail Gunner)
Length: 37m (121ft - 39in)
Wingspan: 69m (226ft - 37in)
Height:9m (29ft - 52in)
Empty weight: 80,000 kg (176,369lb)
Max takeoff weight: 150,000 kg (330,693lb)
Powerplant: 6 × Weiser Jupiter 28 cylinder X engine (V), 3,000hp
Propellers: 4-bladed König adjustable pitch counter-rotating propellers

Performance
Maximum speed: 510km/h (316mph)
Cruise Speed:305km/h (189mph)
Endurance: 17 hours
Service ceiling: 11,000m (36,089ft)

Armament
Weaponry:8×Double 12mm turrets,2×Double 16mm turrets,Double 25mm turret
Bombload:55,000kg(110,231lbs)

The year is 1134 and the war has already been raging for 6 years, the König Aviation Bureau started development on an aircraft of unprecedented size to transport the armored vehicles and soldiers of the Western Coalition.But after the first prototype was built the military noticed it’s outstanding performance with the range and payload it could carry, in fact it’s the only airplane that cross the Imerian Sea both ways without refueling which was an immense strategic advantage to the Western Coalition.But to pay for that range and weight the Kö 123 is severely under armoured and has a lot of fuel tanks in the wings, the other weak spot of the Kö 123 is the cockpit due to it’s all glass sides it’s an easy target for enemy fighters. Among pilots of the Royal Kriegsheim Airforce the Kö 123 is called the Walrus due to the front shape and the two turrets on the front that resemble tusks.This aircraft is used both for night and day raids although it is a lot more successful during the night raids but even in the night you can still hear it's Jupiters growling.The Kö 123 is also the aircraft with the highest range and maximum service ceiling*

Kö 123 1st King's Bomber Regiment

[ img ]

Kö 123 3rd Night Bomber Airwing

[ img ]

Kö 123 1st Airlift Wing

[ img ]

*A common practice is to launch fighters from zeppelins that fly around 15,000m which gives a higher service ceiling but no aircraft can go higher than the Kö 123 if taking off from a ground based airfield

_________________
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't be always sure of their authenticity."
-Abraham Lincoln


Last edited by Wolftheriot on May 11th, 2021, 5:47 am, edited 6 times in total.

Top
[Profile] [Quote]
WesleyWestland
Post subject: Re: Second World War Heavy Bomber ChallengePosted: May 5th, 2021, 3:47 pm
Offline
User avatar
Posts: 18
Joined: March 23rd, 2020, 8:36 pm
Hartley & Shepherd HS 95, Westlandian strategic bomber

Amidst rising tensions in the mid-1930s, the Westlandian government issued a request for a four-engined heavy bomber to be used on long-range strategic bombing missions. Of the designs submitted, three would be selected, resulting in the production of the White W 99, the Atkinson-Fox AF 104 and the Hartley & Shepherd HS 95. While the W 99 was used primarily as a long-range naval patrol aircraft, both the AF 104 and the HS 95 would enter WAF Bomber Command service as strategic bombers.

Hartley & Shepherd HS 95B "Amazing Amy", daylight strategic bomber, 1941
[ img ]

The Hartley & Shepherd HS 95 entered service in 1941, a year after the Astintzen attack on Adhòla that marked the start of the Second Great War (1940-1947). It was powered by four Burgess V-3400 inverted V12 engines, providing 1200 hp each, and carried a crew of 8: The pilot, the co-pilot/flight engineer, the bomb aimer/nose gunner, the navigator, the radio operator, the mid-upper gunner, the ball turret gunner and the tail gunner. It carried a total of eight 8 mm machine guns in four turrets, and had a maximum bomb load of 4.5 tonnes. In the early stages of the war, it primarily flew daylight raids against Helidara and Voliot, both from Westlandia itself and from allied Adhòla. Losses were heavy, and Bomber Command soon switched to night bombing.

Hartley & Shepherd HS 95D "The Missus", strategic night bomber, 1944
[ img ]

As the V-3400 engine was in high demand for fighters and the competing Atkinson-Fox AF 104 bomber, it was decided to switch to the Exford R-3850 14-cylinder radial engine instead. As defensive armament was considered less important than bomb capacity on night missions, the ball turret was removed and the chin turret replaced with a simpler machine gun position in the nose, reducing the crew by one and saving weight. This, together with the new engines providing 1600 hp each, increased the maximum bomb load to 6.5 tonnes and made the HS 95 the WAF's most capable bomber. By this time, Helidara had been occupied and Bomber Command shifted its focus to the Astintzen Empire and Malkoria.

Hartley & Shepherd HS 95F "G4 WT", coastal patrol aircraft, 1947
[ img ]

Towards the end of the war, as Westlandia suffered heavy losses on the continent and was pushed back to the home islands, part of the HS 95 fleet was transferred to Coastal Command to fly anti-shipping missions in an attempt to prevent enemy ships from approaching the Westlandian coast. As these missions were primarily flown by day, defensive armament was increased again and many aircraft were fitted with surface search radars. After the Westlandian capitulation, the Hartley & Shepherd HS 95 primarily served as transport aircraft and coast guard search and rescue aircraft, with some surviving until 1960 in the latter role.

_________________
I am colourblind, so please let me know if my colours are off.


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Second World War Heavy Bomber ChallengePosted: May 6th, 2021, 5:10 pm
Offline
User avatar
Posts: 938
Joined: August 1st, 2010, 7:51 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Brunel Broadsword

Crew: 7 or 8* (pilot, flight engineer, navigator, bomb-aimer, wireless operator, ventral gunner/observer*, mid-upper gunner, tail gunner).
Length: 22.2m
Wingspan: 35.0m
Empty Weight: 17,400kg
Max Takeoff Weight: 35,500kg
Powerplant: 4 x Bristol Centaurus VII sleeve-valve piston engines, 2,520hp each
Maximum Speed: 590km/h
Cruise Speed: 480km/h
Range: 3,900km (6,800kg bombload), 5,300km (3,000kg bombload)
Service Ceiling: 30,500ft
Defensive Armament: 4 x 20mm cannons (2 each in tail and mid-upper turrets), 3 x 12.7mm machine guns (2 in nose turret, 1 in ventral position)
Bombload: 6,800kg

[ img ]

The primary heavy bomber in Recherche service during WW2, the Broadsword saw action in almost every major theatre that the Recherche Armed Forces operated in. Initially expected to join the RAF bombing offensive on Germany, the entry of Madalena, Japan and Koko into the war changed those plans drastically and ultimately only two groups were deployed to the European and Mediterranean theatres (one group each). Three bomber groups saw service in the Indian Ocean and South-West Pacific theatres by the end of the war, including a major bomber offensive over Madalena from 1943-1945. Operations against the Japanese were usually only conducted at a squadron or wing level but involved significant numbers of strikes against Japanese occupied Malaya and Dutch East Indies to both hamper their naval and economic operations there as well as support the subsequent land offensive.

[ img ]

A number of aircraft were produced for the Royal Recherche Navy's Fleet Air Arm as maritime patrol aircraft conducting tireless searches over endless seas on the hunt for enemy activity. It was these aircraft, along with a handful of RRAF Broadswords, that utilised the 2,000lb AP rocket-boosted radio-controlled Kingfisher glide bomb that saw a number of successes against Madalenan, Thiarian and Japanese naval forces towards the end of the war.

[ img ]

A small number of updated aircraft continued to serve post-war into the 1950's until the heavy bomber concept was gradually phased out. Six aircraft survive today, including two flying examples operated by the RRAF Memorial Flight.

_________________
[ img ]


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: Second World War Heavy Bomber ChallengePosted: May 6th, 2021, 11:28 pm
Offline
Posts: 61
Joined: November 14th, 2014, 4:13 am
Was originally going to do NOT-Silverbird but when I asked Kiwi he vetoed it so instead I did NOT-Consoloidated Model 36, the design which eventually led to the B-36. While the B-36 is distinctly post war, there isn't much on it that didn't exist during the war and I've always been of the opinion that if it had been given a higher priority, not seen extensive redesigns and the reshuffling of development to a locaction halfway across the country, it's entirely plausible that it could have been finished by the end of the war.

[ img ]
First deployed in the closing months of the war against The Imperial Repbulics the Arbalest, nicknamed "The Big A" was at the time, and still remains one of, the largest combat aircraft ever to enter service. In 1941 as the as the situation of the outer colonies was uncertain, the fear that the only air bases within range of the enemy homeland were vulnerable to attack lead to the start of "The Homeland Based Bomber Initiative.” The requirements laid out by the imitative were bold even by modern standards, a ferry range of 10,000 miles, a combat radius of 3,600 miles with a load equivalent to or exceeding that of the existing Trebuchet Bomber's standard 10,000 lb load, a cruise altitude in excess of 40,000 feet and a cruise speed of at least 225 mph. Out of multiple tenders three were chosen for further development, the Sparrow Aircraft Company's Model 305, a 6 engine stretched derivative of the Trebuchet, the Polaris Aerospace Model 60 and the infamous rocket bomber, the National Aerospace Model R (Roughly comparable to the German Silverbird). Soon after issues with Sparrow's Trebuchet production led to loss of confidence and rejection of the Model 305.
The other two bombers, the Model 60 and Model R were selected for further development. In keeping with the theme of naming heavy bombers after siege weapons, the project code name of Arbalest was chosen for the Model 60. The Model R was given the atypical name of Comet, possibly due to its radical design.

Development of the Arbalest was slow at first, by the time the selection had been made the front lines were stabilizing and the airbases in the outer colonies seemed to be secure from attack however a behind the scene developments resulted in the project's priority being greatly increased. A new "Special Weapon" was being developed and there were concerns that it would be both too large for the existing bombers and too powerful for them to safely use. In addition there was concerns over whether it could be securely and safely shipped to an overseas base. By contrast the Homeland Based Bombers would both be able to not only carry the bomb but also deploy it from the homeland. The Comet was given higher priority however the Arbalest was also fast tracked due to the high technical risk of the Comet.

The cutting edge technology of The Arbalest resulted in significant development times. The Big A" first flew in mid 1944 and was declared combat ready in spring 1945. By this time the war was nearing it's end and mass bombing of The Imperial Repbulics’ homeland was beginning in earnest. Despite the aircraft being declared combat ready, no bombing missions could be flown for nearly a month, the special weapon was not yet ready and for conventional missions the large size of Big A meant that the forward airfields had to be greatly expanded to accommodate them. Eventually in late spring training missions for the Special Weapon program began, in addition the expansion of the air field in the outer colony of New Hirock meant that the bombers could be forward deployed for conventional missions. Capable of carrying nearly 8 times the load of the Super-Trebuchet, the Arbalest gave the Heavy Attack Command a massive boost in capability. In later summer of 1945, the Special Weapon was finally ready for deployment. While the initial preference had been for delivery via the Comet, the disastrous first long range flight of the R occurred. The poor understanding of hyper sonic flight at the time had resulted in the calculated heating requirements for the Comet being well below what was actually required, mid flight the heating lead to structural failure of the air frame and the fatal breakup of the prototype. Preference for delivery of the special weapon quickly shifted to the Arbalest

The final design for the Arbalest represent the pinnacle of late-War technology. The size, speed, range and payload would be unmatched for nearly a decade. The aircraft's fuselage was over 160 ft long and 13 ft in diameter. From the ground to the tips of the twin tails, the overall height of the aircraft while landed was 31 ft. The wing was the largest wing fitted to any combat aircraft for several years, measuring 236 feet from tip to tip. Nearly 7 1/2 feet thick at the root there was enough space inside the wing for crew to conduct in flight engine maintenance. The thick wing allowed for the
6 engines to be mostly buried within it. Each engine had 28 cylinders and produced roughly 3,500 horsepower. Reliability of the engines was initially poor however it had greatly improved by the end of the war. The engine's power allowed the bomber to maintain a cruising speed of over 300 mph. The large wing also helped give the aircraft the ability to cruise at 45,000 ft while simultaneously giving it space to carry fuel to take on missions of over 4,000 miles.

A total bomb load of up to 80,000 pounds could be carried in the four internal bays (Although for longer missions only a fraction of that was be carried.) or larger weapons, the forward 2 and aft 2 bomb bays could be merged into two larger bays. At the time of entry into service, the bomber was the sole carrier of the Mk 1 Special Weapon. Only a few Special Weapon missions were undertaken during the war. Most combat missions were fire bombing missions and for this role the aircraft had a maximum load of 172 M-23 Cluster bombs. With each bomb carrying 38 submunitions, over 6,000 fire bombs could be dropped at once. More conventional high explosive bomb loads were equally impressive. The aircraft was also trialed with the Porpoise antiship glide bomb, 4 such weapons could be carried internally. While few such missions were undertaken, one was notable for successfully sinking the battleship Morei. F All of these weapons could be accurately laid on target through the use of Model 43 Bombing radar. The Model 43 was installed within a semi-retractable fairing between the radio compartment and the bomb bay. The Arbalest was the first Air Force bomber to enter service with a dedicated radar bombsight (Although earlier bombers had been retrofitted with them). In addition to the bombing radar, a standard Model 38 bombsight was fitted in the nose.

Flight crew was typical of the era with a pilot, copilot, navigator and two flight engineers.
As far the combat systems were concerned, there was a bombardier and two electronics operators. The Electronics Operators were responsible for operation of the bomber's radios, bombing radar and electronic-countermeasures. The reminder of the crew consisted of the gunners, rare among bombers was a dedicated gun captain. The gun captain was in charge of coordinating the gunners and distributing control of the gun turrets between stations with the secondary role of serving as an additional gunner.

The flight crew was split between the fore and aft sections, connected by a pressure tunnel locacted over the bomb bay.
The Forward section consisted of the nose compartment containing the bombardier and navigator's stations, the flight deck and the forward gunnery compartment, with the radio room locatced beneath it. The gunner's compartment contained the tunnel entrance for access to the rear of the aircraft. Crew layout of the fore section consisted of the bombardier and navigator in the nose, Pilot, Copilot and flight engineers on the flight deck, Two turret gunners in the compartment aft of the flight deck and the electronics operators in the radio compartment. (One for radio, one for radar). The aft section consisted of the rear gunnery compartment which also doubled as a crew rest area and the tunnel to the tail gun. The aft section was crewed by the gun captain, and three gunners, including the tail gunner.

Defensive armament was 16 x 20mm cannons in eight turrets. The fuselage turrets could retract when not in use to minimize drag and were remotely controlled from one of 7 fighting stations via the electro-mechanical A-GCS, (Arbalest Gun Control System). One station was on each side of the upper fuselage aft of the cockpit, and two were on each side fore of the crew rest area. The seventh station was the gun captain's station station located in upper part of the crew rest area. Each station was able to remotely operate multiple turrets, with the gun captain coordinating the control distribution. These sighting stations could also take control of the nose turret which could also be aimed via a periscope in the bombardier/navigator compartment. The tail guns were independent of the rest of the defensive armament and were controlled solely by the tail gunner's station.

The first image depicts "Magic Girl" one of the select Arbalests earmarked for the 1st Special Attack Command as she appeared on the final day of the war. Only her forward turrets are depicted as deployed and her bombing radar is shown retracted. Magical Girl has the distinction of having both dropped the first special weapon used in action and dropping more special weapons than any other aircraft during the war (3). He first special weapon was dropped as part of Operation Home Run. Taking off from the homeland she and accompanying observers flew to the enemy city of Agloe and dropped a single special weapon. Prior to this Magic Girl had done several practice drops with dummy weapons and served as an observer on multiple other missions. She later served as the observer aircraft for the next 4 test missions performed under the Operation Home Run test program, before rotating back into the delivery role as part of Operation Home Run Derby. Home Run Derby was the continual special bombing campaign started in support of End Game. During Home Run Derby she dropped two weapons in one mission on the Morei Line in support of the End Game landings. It was following this mission in which her crew painted the mushroom cloud background to her nose art. The surrender of The Imperial Repbulics occurred shortly before she was set to fly her 3rd bombing mission.

[ img ]
The second image depicts"Checkmate Queen", also on the last day of the war. Checkmate Queen is pictured with her turrets deployed and the Model 43 bombing radar extended. While the Arbalest is best known as the delivery system for the first special weapons, Checkmate Queen's career was far more typical for the type during the war. Unlike the Special Attack Command which flew from bases in the homeland, the majority of Checkmate Queen's missions were flown from New Hirock. The shorter distance allowed her and her brethren to carry a significantly greater bomb load than if they had operated from home. In total Checkmate queen flew 19 combat missions in support of Operation Endgame. While they were primarily fire bombing missions she also participated in one of the more unique air raids of the war, Operation Daybreak, the infamous Bat Bomb attack, which saw the air dropping of over a 2.5 million bats resulting in severe damage to the Imperial capitol. Difficulties in procuring sufficient numbers of bats as well as the logistical issues of reliably delivering those same bats alive to the front line meant that only a single operational sortie was flown using the weapons.


[ img ]
The final image depicts "Weird Science" the first nuclear powered aircraft. Completed too late to see service against the Imperial Repbulics, "Weird Science" was initially placed into reserve however growing tensions during the cold war led to her reactivation in 1948 as part of the newly formed Strategic Attack Command. During this time she stood on alert as part of the nuclear deterrent until the Arbalest II, a et powered derivative of the Model 60, began to enter service. She was placed in reserve in 1955before once again being reactivated three years later for use as a test aircraft under Project Marathon, the Shintari Air Force's project to develop nuclear powered aircraft.

Modifications for this program were extensive. The former Radio Room was converted into a reactor control room with stations for two Nuclear Flight Officers, the radio operator's station was moved forward to the navigator's compartment in place of the bombardier and the position of radar operator was eliminated. The forward gunner's station aft of the cockpit was converted into a small crew rest area. Internally the cockpit remained much the same, externally the windows/airframe was modified for improved radiation shielding. The aft guns were removed and the gunner’s windows painted over, the other gun turrets had previously been removed in 1952 in order to increase range. The bomb bay internals were completely replaced with the forward section being filled with radiation shielding and the rest of the bay aft being replaced with the Reactor and four nuclear turbojet engines. The reactor was fueled by a molten uranium salt mixture which doubled as the primary coolant. This transferred heat to the secondary coolant, a NaK alloy which transferred the thermal energy into the engines. The aircraft retained it’s piston engines and only powered up the reactor once at cruising altitude. The aircraft performed numerous test flights including a famous nonstop circumnavigation of the globe before it was retired in favor of new, more capable nuclear aircraft.


Last edited by Corp on May 9th, 2021, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
[Profile] [Quote]
RaspingLeech
Post subject: Re: Second World War Heavy Bomber ChallengePosted: May 7th, 2021, 2:02 pm
Offline
User avatar
Posts: 209
Joined: December 8th, 2015, 8:07 pm
Contact: Website
Messerschmitt Me 464:

Developed to meet the needs of the Luftwaffe for a long-range strategic bomber, the Me 464 is a direct evolution of Messerschmitt's previous Me 264, which had already entered service as a maritime patrol aircraft with the Kriegsmarine in 1944. The standard A-1 model was powered by eight Jumo 211 engines in four push-pull nacelles, armed with a maximum 10,000kg bomb load and twelve 20mm defensive guns in four unmanned turrets and one manned tail position. This example was of the first few airframes to enter service in August 1945.
[ img ]

Typical "Amerika Bomber" configuration of the B-2 variant, which features a streamlined canopy and the addition of four HeS 021 jet engines in two podded groups for further range. Although none saw use for their true purpose of trans-Atlantic bombing missions, examples such as this saw service until they were phased out in the late 1970s. Unlike most Luftwaffe aircraft, the Amerika Bomber Me 464s possessed a bare aluminum finish to save valuable weight.
[ img ]

Reconnaissance variant of the B-1 type, with most armament removed and sophisticated electronic equipment installed. This example was based out of Nordstern in 1949 and used for reconnaissance flights surrounding the British Isles.
[ img ]

_________________
DeviantArt


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Second World War Heavy Bomber ChallengePosted: May 8th, 2021, 10:40 pm
Offline
Posts: 1497
Joined: June 3rd, 2011, 10:42 am
The final result of a 15 year military aviation plan, the Sikorsky S-64 was the largest operational military aircraft in the world in the 1930s. Designed to meet a 1934 requirement of a super heavy bomber capable of carrying 10 tonnes of bombs 1000km.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]


Last edited by APDAF on May 11th, 2021, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
[Profile] [Quote]
jjx indoweeb
Post subject: Re: Second World War Heavy Bomber ChallengePosted: May 10th, 2021, 8:48 am
Offline
User avatar
Posts: 47
Joined: May 25th, 2020, 4:30 pm
DISCLAIMER : as per agreement with kiwi imperialist, every 3/4 view represented in this challenge entry are not subject to judging. I have included these drawings to show continuity and effort, but not as part of the overall challenge entry and thus should be ignored in terms of scoring
Gu-300 "Supertruck"
[ img ]
[ img ]

The Gunther Gu-300 was one of the most advanced piston engined bombers during the early cold war period.
Developed in 1940 by Gunther industries under the codename project Betelheim, it was to provide the Meritonian Air Force an aircraft much more suitable with the role of long range strategic bombing compared to other bombers in its arsenal at the time.
Production began at the start of rising tensions between Meritonia and Rozmachelat, and it entered service just in time to supplement older bombers on bombing raids against Rozmachelat and its allies.
At the time, Gu-300s were invincible to enemy air attacks, since the speed and altitude were just too high for enemy interceptors to reach.
But over time with the advent of jet-powered fighters, the supertruck was susceptible to interception.
Nevertheless, it still served in many theaters of war, and formed the backbone of the Allied bombing force

"Magician"
[ img ]

Supertrucks serving on the Tragen theatre were often assigned to night bombing roles, due to the Rozman air superiority during daylight. The default "green over grey" Meritonian camouflage were switched up to the much more effective black bottomed camouflage commonly used by other allied night bombers.
No. 44-17317 nicknamed "Magician" was one of the first supertrucks deployed to Tragea, thus it still had the Meritonian factory green over its back. Later units would recieve a much more concealing dark two-tone camouflage

"Gun 'Gal"
[ img ]

As time went on, more and more jet fighters were able to intercept the high flying Supertrucks, and thus some units had got their defensive armament updated to combat the threat.
The Gu-300 (M29-B) was one of such updates. It had an automatic gun laying radar beneath the tail gunner compartment, thus increasing the effectiveness of the tail gun in engaging jet fighters.
No. 45-179138 nicknamed "gun gal" was a M29-B equipped unit. These upgraded units (commonly reffered as goalkeepers) flew on the back of each squadron, boosting the defence against incoming fighters.



BONUS

The longest sortie incident
[ img ]

After more than 50 years of dissapearance, the antique bomber has seemingly reappeared from thin air.
Thought to have been lost over the Meriatic sea, Unit 49-178231 has landed on the runway after years of dissapearance, pristine with its secret payload still attached.


It landed itself without any crew, into a highly protected airbase undetected. What anomalies lie behind this unnerving incident?


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Second World War Heavy Bomber ChallengePosted: May 10th, 2021, 8:21 pm
Offline
User avatar
Posts: 1032
Joined: December 26th, 2012, 9:36 am
Location: Germany
Hi all!

Caproni Atlantach B11C 'Bladhmiaire' (Marauder) heavy long-range bomber

In 1938, the Regia Aeronautica issued a specification for a new heavy bomber, which spawned a full dozen different designs. Caproni´s entry Ca.204 came up second, after the CRDA Z.1014; the Italians eventually purchased the third-ranked Piaggio P.108 due to its lower cost and its P.XII engines, which were available in time, whilst the lighter, equally powerful, but unfortunately very complicated and unreliable Alfa 135, which powered both the Ca.204 and the Z.1014, would not become available prior to late 1942, by which time the P.108 was already in service. Undeterred, Caproni offered the Ca.204 to other potential customers. The company had a subsidiary in Thiaria – Caproni Atlantach - since 1914, which had provided the Thiarian Air Force with three-engined Ca.3 bombers as late as 1918, when both nations already were fighting on opposite sides of WW I (though they never were formally at war with one another) and still was one of the main suppliers of Thiaria’s Air Force. The plans for the Ca.204 reached Thiaria before 1938 was over. The Thiarian Air Force, whose requirement for a long-range bomber was even more pressing than Italy’s, liked the design, but found the thick composite wing construction cumbersome and unnecessarily heavy; they also considered the pencil-thin hull impractical, as it allowed only 2.000 kilograms of payload. Given the domestic availability of aluminium, which Italy lacked, Caproni Atlantach re-designed an all-metal wing which was only half as thick as the original and had slightly less span, drastically reducing drag. This re-design allowed to substitute the narrow hull with one of circular cross-section and nearly twice the capacity, at no net aerodynamic penalty. A prototype was ordered early in 1939 and rolled out in June 1940, when Thiaria was already at war. The engine problem was solved by adoption of the French Gnome-Rhone 14R-1/2 of 1.400 hp, which the Thiarian Trenhaile company was license-producing; the engine was as beta as the airframe in mid-1940, but the prototype’s trial performance suggested they were made for each other. Although the plane, which was dubbed B11C in Thiarian nomenclature (B – Bomber, 11 – 11th Caproni design adopted by the Thiarian Air Force, C – manufacturer code), externally looked very similar to the Ca.204, it bore no structural resemblance and was more powerful by an order of magnitude. The bomb bay was twice as large, allowing for twice the payload, and the impractical lateral MG mounts of the Ca.204 were replaced by a dorsal twin 13mm MG turret. Another such weapon was mounted ventrally and one in the bow, for a total of four, and a long-barreled 20mm HS.404 autocannon right aft. On July 28th, 1940, the prototype had its maiden flight, and series production was ordered only days later. The initial series variant B11C-1 did not substantially differ from the prototype, and the first production planes reached the Air Force fifteen months later in October 1941 after a very rushed test programme involving eight prototypes. The addition of armour under the cockpit and the ventral gun mount, installation of more wing fuel tanks and other structural strengthening measures had made the airframe heavier than planned; the B11C-1 now outweighed a B-17. With their low-drag wings of relatively high load, they were capable of 490 kph and had exceptionally long range of 4.000 km with a half-load of ordnance. Initial service experience – particularly against the Patagonian stronghold on the Falklands, later from Argentina against Patagonia proper – revealed that the 14R-1/2 wasn’t quite strong enough to make optimum use of the airframe’s capabilities. A developed version of the engine, dubbed 14R-4/5, delivering 1.600 hp, became available at the turn of the year, and was installed in the first main production version B11C-2. This variant, which replaced the B11C-1 on the production line in March 1942 after 115 units built. Due to added engine power, maximum bomb load increased from 3.600 to 4.500 kg; range remained the same. The B11C-2 was also 30 kph faster than the -1 and ranked among the fastest heavy bombers of her time; with her rather mediocre defensive armament and none too impressive ceiling, speed was the type’s primary defense. Typically, they would climb to maximum ceiling on the inbound route, then attack in a shallow dive at up to 600 kph, and, after releasing their bomb load, make a dead run out of the danger zone at medium altitude. Since the Allies were unable to deploy anything more powerful than Kitty Hawks and Wildcats to South America prior to 1944, the B11C-2 at that time was virtually immune from interception. These planes carried the brunt of Thiaria’s bombing offensive against Brazil from late 1942, operating mostly from New Portugal; one wing was also deployed to continental South America, sometimes providing ground support to Axis forces by carpet bombing enemy positions. 438 were built. The contemporary B11C-3 was an experimental version with four Hispano Atlantach 12Z-12/13 engines of 1.500 hp each, which however proved unsuitable, being heavier without providing additional power. Only five were built. The machine shown below bears the typically sparse, if colourful markings of the Thiarian Air Force during the war: The wing was identified by its badge, either at the bow or – more usual – on the tail fin. The squadrons of each wing – at least three, usually four or five, sometimes six – whose numbers were added in front of the wing number, were color-coded: First Squadron red, second squadron blue, third squadron green, fourth squadron yellow, fifth squadron black, sixth squadron orange. The wing staff color code was white. Within the squadron, which would deploy with anything from nine to twelve, sometimes up to fifteen machines, each plane would be designated with a letter, often not in sequence; these letters were painted prominently on the hull, always either in the squadron color, or – more frequently – within a colored band in the squadron color. Call signs would consist of the plane’s letter in Thiaria’s reporting alphabet (derived from the Phoenician alphabet, the oldest means of written communication ever introduced in Thiaria) and the squadron color.
[ img ]

By mid-1943, an improved engine 14R-13/14 became available, which allowed for 2.000 meters more service ceiling (power remained the same); it was installed in the B11C-4 variant. Other improvements included a radar warning antenna, jamming gear, chaff dispensers, and the replacement of the ventral MG position with a retractable twin 13mm waist turret. This version entered service in August 1943, and at 521 units was the most produced of the type. They were infamous for laying waste to Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, and for their frequent long-range raids from Lummerland to Capetown. They also often attacked enemy shipping, carrying two 450mm torpedoes or up to six 500kg AP bombs for such missions. Since Capetown was defended by powerful Recherchean fighters capable of 700 kph and thus able to intercept the B11C, the Thiarians usually raided it at night, sporting night camouflage, which was rare in Thiarian service otherwise.
[ img ]

The final series version B11C-5 entered service in July 1944, mounting 14R-24/25 engines of 1.800 hp; they had radar for night attack and night navigation and additional armour. Due to the higher weight, performance remained the same. This type was capable of deploying 1.000 kg glide bombs, similar in principle to the German Hs-293 but with twice the bang. Consequently, nearly all of the 338 series machines were used in the anti-shipping role. One of them, taking part in a 30-ship raid suffering 22 casualties against Corsairs from the carrier USS Constellation, scored a critical early hit on USS Iowa during the battle of Anfa Caolas late in 1944 from outside Iowa’s flak umbrella, crippling the US battleship and enabling Thiarian surface forces to close in and sink her by gunfire. During the same raid, another such projectile launched by another B11C-5 hit and blew up the yard-new light cruiser USS Vicksburg, and if the glide bomb which hit USS Constellation had not been a dud, she would have been in dire straits, too. Thiarian B11Cs scored over 40 hits with glide bombs on enemy ships of all kinds, including two escort carriers, one of them supposedly safe in Capetown harbor. The plane below sports Thiaria’s standard camouflage adopted early in 1944 for all warplanes, which would remain in widespread use till the late 1970s.
[ img ]

Production of the B11C ceased in February 1945, when Thiaria was already at war against itself. Total production including prototypes amounted to 1.425, making the B11C the most produced 4-engine bomber type of the entire Axis, and by far the one with the most impact on the Axis war effort. They enjoyed a good reputation as robust planes which could take a lot of punishment, and combat losses were relatively low. About a hundred (half of them used B11C-1s) were exported to Argentina in 1943/4; like their Thiarian pendants, they had to be handed over to the Allies under armistice conditions. Over 400 were still available when Thiaria called the war quits; at peak strength early in 1944, 500 equipped five full wings and three special service squadrons. Today, a dozen remain in various museums, including two in a flying condition (one in Thiaria, one in South Africa).

Statistics (B11C-4):
Length: 23,80m
Span: 31,50m
Empty weight: 17.500 kg
MTOW 30.000 kg
Powerplant: 4x Trenhaile (Gnome-Rhone) 14R-4/5, 1.600 hp each
Top Speed: 520 kph
Cruise Speed with 3.000 kg bomb load and maximum fuel: 380 kph
Service Ceiling: 10.000 m
Range: 3.800 km with 2.000 kg bomb load; 2.500 km with maximum bomb load; 6.000 km ferry range with extra fuel tanks in bomb bays
Armament: 1x 20mm HS.404, 5x 13mm FM-29, 4.500 kg payload
Crew: 7

Greetings
GD


Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Albert1099
Post subject: Re: Second World War Heavy Bomber ChallengePosted: May 11th, 2021, 12:19 am
Offline
Posts: 117
Joined: December 20th, 2018, 11:09 am
CANT Z.1020
[ img ]

Development
With the development of the Piaggio P.108, the CANT (Cantieri Aeronautici e Navali Triestini), especially their lead aircraft designer, Filippo Zappata, decided to create a heavy bomber to rival and outperform the aforementioned P.108. Using the Z.1018 Leone as a concept base, due to its very successful implementation in Regia Aeronautica service, the Z.1020 was laid down, and construction of prototypes where built in early to mid-1940. The Z.1020’s maiden flight was in the specific date of April 14, 1941, and its test performance made the Regia Aeronautica officers interested of the Z.1020, due to how it performed well in test scenarios, and how the Piaggio P.108 poorly performed in the invasion of Greece due to lack of aircraft built and lack of co-ordination between the squadrons operating the P.108.

-General Characteristics-
Length:25.8 m (84.64 ft)
Wingspan:30 m (98 ft)
Height:7.3 m (23.95 ft)
Empty Weight:18,125 kg (39,959 lb)
Max Takeoff Weight:30,425 kg (67,076 lb)
Powerplant: 4 × Piaggio P.XIV, 4 × Piaggio P.XIV A.C. 1(Post-War)
Propellers:3-bladed constant-speed propellers

-Performance-
Maximum speed:499 km/h (310 mph, 269 kn)
Range:3,630 km (2,256 miles)
Service ceiling:10,750 m (35,269 ft)

-Armament-
-8x 12.7 mm (0.500 in) Breda-SAFAT machine guns
-4,000 to 4,8000 kg (8,818-10,582 lb) of Bombs

In Service
Entered service in 1942, with a total of 25 built (Serie 1) for the first batch contracted by the Regia Aeronautica, it performed well in the bombing raids of Malta, Gibraltar, and major cities in Tunisia and Egypt. It even proved well when deterring landing forces was its primary function during the allied invasion of Sicily, and was also used as a boost of morale to the severely demoralized Italian troops defending Sicily. And with a capture of a B-24D in Italian hands, the development of the Z.1020 Serie 2 was laid down, with its upgraded frontal defensive armament position resembling that of the B-24D’s rear.

[ img ]

A last ditch effort raid by the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana against an allied-occupied port city of Cagliari during 1945 went successful at first, but quickly went hopeless for the remnants of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana. This raid also would see the only Z.1020 Serie 2 used in battle. Though it’s fate was unknown, it was presumably shot down and sunk in the seas bellow, though it proved it’s improvements well, successfully deterring two Co-Belligerent P-40’s and a US P-51D Mustang hastily sent to defend the city.

CANT Z.1020 Artigliere

During 1944, on the brink of pushing back the allies from Italy itself, a group of Italian Naval Warfare Theorists suggested the Regia Aeronautica to make a more effective and potent version of the torpedo. Instead of relying on the sea as a vessel of motion, this new “airborne torpedo” was to use the sky, meaning flight was to be involved. With the basis of the Germans’ innovation of radio guided bombs to be used, Various Aircraft and Armament inventors and manufacturers tried their hands into developing the first “airborne torpedo”. Meanwhile, the CANT was developing a maritime version of their Z.1020. When this “airborne torpedo” concept took the interest of Filippo Zappata. Thus, the Z.1020 Artigliere was born, alongside the successful “airborne torpedo” Designs of Caproni-Campini and Parano-Panzeri.

[ img ]

The Z.1020 Artigliere started its service as the Serie 1 “Narvalo” with its rocket-propelled bombs and radio guidance capabilities. During 1946, it was relatively capable of sinking small fleets of Destroyer & Cruiser Escorts as Squadrons in assistance with both German and Italian Submarines. Even when stationed in the English Channel, it was able to survive and thrive.

For more versions who are not included in the challenge:
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 31#p200531

that's all.

_________________
"If it isn't the consequences of my actions"


Last edited by Albert1099 on May 13th, 2021, 9:00 am, edited 13 times in total.

Top
[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Drawing Challenges” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


The team | Delete all board cookies | All times are UTC


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
[ GZIP: Off ]