Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
Kiwi Imperialist
Post subject: Interim Interceptor ChallengePosted: May 24th, 2024, 12:01 pm
[ img ]

Welcome to the Interim Interceptor Challenge! Your task is to draw an all-weather interceptor adopted as an interim or alternative design. Please read the Design Requirements as well as the Challenge Rules before posting a submission. This challenge was based on a suggestion in the Future Challenge Ideas/Suggestions thread. If you have ideas of your own for a future challenge, consider sharing them there. Do not be afraid to make a suggestion that has already been made. It reveals that multiple people are interested in a particular topic.

Design Requirements
  1. Your submission must depict a fictional all-weather interceptor aircraft.
  2. The interceptor’s first flight should occur between 1952 and 1962.
  3. It must enter service as an interim or alternative design second to an advanced interceptor project (e.g. Canada adopting CF-101 Voodoo instead of CF-105 Arrow).
  4. Compared to the advanced interceptor project, your design must be inexpensive and fast to produce. Conversions of existing airframes may be considered.

Challenge Rules
  1. Each participant may submit one image.
  2. The image must be an FD template modified to include the participant’s system and, optionally, crew figures at their stations within the system and/or one of the following: unit insignia, manufacturer logo, national flag. Other elements, including data sheets and scenic elements, are not permitted. If you have specifications and blocks of text, please include them as text in your post and not in the image itself.
  3. No more than three views are allowed in each image.
  4. If two or three views are included, they must depict the same individual aircraft in the same paint schemes, markings, and configuration (e.g. landing gear deployed).
  5. All art must be in FD scale and conform to the same drawing and shading rules as official Shipbucket styles.
  6. A textual description accompanying each submission is permitted, but not necessary.
  7. Non-serious entries, or entries substantially deviate from the challenge requirements, are not allowed.
  8. Off-topic posts will be reported to the relevant authorities.

This challenge will run until Sunday the 23rd of June, ending at 23:59 UTC-12 (International Date Line West).
A countdown timer can be found at this link.

A poll will be held after this date to select a winner. When it opens, please provide honest and meaningful scores for each entry. Responses which grant maximum scores to a select group of entries, and minimum scores to all other entries, will be deleted. Members of the community who manipulate the results in such a fashion may also be subject to a permanent ban. Scores will be allocated in two categories, each with a scale of 1 to 10:

• Drawing Quality - The overall quality of the drawing. One might consider detailing, shading, and accuracy.
  • Design Quality -The quality of the design presented, irrespective of drawing quality. One could consider feasibility, practicality, and realism.

[Profile] [Quote]
grandprix
Post subject: Re: Interim Interceptor ChallengePosted: June 5th, 2024, 7:25 am
The IL-28I interceptor is an all-weather jet interceptor based on the IL-28 bomber, designed for night operations in response to increasing adversary night reconnaissance activities. The main improvement of this interceptor is the installation of a search radar in the nose, replacing the original navigator's cockpit and enhancing its operational capability at night and in poor weather conditions.The IL-28I's weapons system includes two G-200 missiles, which are scaled-down versions of the air-to-air missiles based on the S-25 surface to air missiles, as well as two powerful NR-30 autocannons mounted on the belly of the aircraft, which provide fire support for close-range air combat. The IL-28I made its first successful test flight in 1955, officially entered service with the Soviet Defence Air Force in 1957, and was retired from service in 1967, ending its historic mission with front-line units. In the early days of the Cold War, the IL-28I served as an important part of the Soviet Air Force's defence force, effectively carrying out many interception missions and defending the country's air security.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Kiwi Imperialist
Post subject: Re: Interim Interceptor ChallengePosted: June 11th, 2024, 8:34 am
grandprix wrote: *
The IL-28I interceptor is an all-weather jet interceptor based on the IL-28 bomber, designed for night operations in response to increasing adversary night reconnaissance activities. The main improvement of this interceptor is the installation of a search radar in the nose, replacing the original navigator's cockpit and enhancing its operational capability at night and in poor weather conditions.The IL-28I's weapons system includes two G-200 missiles, which are scaled-down versions of the air-to-air missiles based on the S-25 surface to air missiles, as well as two powerful NR-30 autocannons mounted on the belly of the aircraft, which provide fire support for close-range air combat. The IL-28I made its first successful test flight in 1955, officially entered service with the Soviet Defence Air Force in 1957, and was retired from service in 1967, ending its historic mission with front-line units. In the early days of the Cold War, the IL-28I served as an important part of the Soviet Air Force's defence force, effectively carrying out many interception missions and defending the country's air security.
Neat fictional adaptation of a real aircraft. In universe, which advanced interceptor design would this serve in lieu of?

[Profile] [Quote]
grandprix
Post subject: Re: Interim Interceptor ChallengePosted: June 14th, 2024, 6:02 am
Kiwi Imperialist wrote: *
grandprix wrote: *
Neat fictional adaptation of a real aircraft. In universe, which advanced interceptor design would this serve in lieu of?
Thank you! My plan was to start using something like Su-11 as an advanced interceptor in the early 60s.

[Profile] [Quote]
waff
Post subject: Re: Interim Interceptor ChallengePosted: June 16th, 2024, 5:17 am
The origins of the AS/60 come from the Oftavian Air Force's stalling mach 3 capable interceptor project. Development of the AS/60 began in the 1950's along with its bomber counterpart. The interceptor project was revived in 1958 with an Oftavian Air Force requirement of a heavy, mach 1.5+ capable all weather interceptor to supplement projects that had not entered service. After first flying in 1959, the aircraft entered service in 1961. Only around 90 aircraft were built, with 4 All Weather Interceptor squadrons being equipped with the type until it's retirement from service in the early 1970's.

Specifications
Length : 26.56m
Wingspan : 13.98m
Height : 8.14m
Crew : 2 (Pilot, Radar Operator)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Drawing Challenges”

Jump to: