Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
Tempest
Post subject: Shipbucket WikiPosted: November 6th, 2022, 6:08 pm
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the Wiki.

I'd like to know why Karle94 has added lots of individual components to the parts wiki. Most, if not all of the parts were already out of date when added and isn't the whole point of having a parts sheet is so that they will be the most up-to-date part available for someone to use? If someone unnecessarily adds an individual component that already exists on a parts sheet, then when that component is updated on the parts sheet the individual component will then be out of date. This would obviously lead to someone using the out-of-date component.

As an example, I have included a component that Karle94 has added to the components wiki last year, this out-of-date component looks like it was drawn circa 2014. I have also included the current version that I drew.

[ img ]

Could some with the ability be able to remove the individual components so as to make finding the most up-to-date component more streamlined and to remove the unnecessary clutter?

Thoughts?

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: November 6th, 2022, 7:40 pm
Hello Tempest,

As the one responsible for managing the wiki, it is good that you bring this to our attention. That said.....
- The wiki allows for multiple variations of parts to exist, unlike the previous part sheets. This is one of the reasons why I am working on parts pages and not just the individual images, so you can add descriptions etc. or multiple versions of parts. For example the page for SPY-1 http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/AN/SPY-1
- The example you gave, both parts are 90% the same in shape and dimensions. Which one is to be used, depends on the rest of the drawing; in a drawing like Karles, your part might look off. Everyone is free to use the parts they see fit, the only ones which we try to remove from the wiki are the ones that are really inaccurate.
- The more detailed components you drew are also on the wiki, just not as individual parts (yet).

I think the parts you are talking about were new drawn by Karle, maybe because they felt the parts you provided did not fit his drawings or because he did not know your parts existed, ready for use. Thus he drew new components and added them to the wiki for others to use, a practice I encourage. If everybody uploaded the parts they used or even the ones they drew to the wiki, I wouldn't have to spend evenings uploading and categorising parts I rarely or never use myself.

But, looking now and comparing, I see tons of information in the part sheets you created that for most parts I have to research to add to the sb wiki page. If you wish to make this clear, I could set you up with an sb wiki account and help you get this information into the current format (which is easier to update and keep up to date then the big part sheets, along with the fact that it is categorised and searchable) and fix the issue forever?

Not trying to shut down this discussion immediately, but I am not planning on removing Karle's parts just because they are shaded and detailed more basic ;) so another solution would have to be found.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: November 6th, 2022, 7:47 pm
Even my part is slightly outdated. It got redrawn when I redid my 4 Bayern class ships for my AU, one of which is on the archive since no-one ever did the Sachsen.

http://shipbucket.com/drawings/9978

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: November 7th, 2022, 4:33 pm
Also, Karle94. On Sachsen, the area around the propeller shaft is completely wrong. The drawing that you used as a template is completely wrong in that area. GD's drawings of the Bayern class, and the L3 battleship design proposal are also wrong in that aspect.

Regards

Tempest

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: