Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: Standard SM-1 vs. GWS 30. SeaDartPosted: March 4th, 2011, 10:10 am
It's way too cramped.
Ditch the aft gun, ditch the hull hangar (wastes space, adds hull weight and a complex lift), add about 100 pixels of lengh admidships, space the Type 909 properly, the double-sided funnels wastes beam space and the heat plume will be right under your radars, not so good.The ship is vastly undersized, you need to consider the size of the two Sea Dart magazines too, think what happened to the Type 42 Batch III...

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Standard SM-1 vs. GWS 30. SeaDartPosted: March 4th, 2011, 10:35 am
I might cancel the RBS08 launcher though. I doubt there will be enough room for a magazine. She will be a part of a carrier group and then SSM wouldn't be that important. Will be able to use her helo or guns to kill FACs and the larger ships will be handled by the cruisers and the carrier strike wing.

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Standard SM-1 vs. GWS 30. SeaDartPosted: March 4th, 2011, 11:00 am
a bit enlarged to fit sensors and hangar.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Standard SM-1 vs. GWS 30. SeaDartPosted: March 4th, 2011, 11:25 am
Looks nice, but I suggest that you remove the aft gun, remove the American SPS-52 radar and use British made radars. Also lengthen the bows' so that the gun will be kept dry. The below deck hangar is a nightmare, and overly complicated. You can use similar arrange ment as the Dutch Tromp class destroyer, a SAM launcher just in front of the hangar which you can make big enough for three Wessex helicopters

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Standard SM-1 vs. GWS 30. SeaDartPosted: March 4th, 2011, 1:22 pm
- The USN uses below deck hangar at roughly the same time, on their double ebders.
- The SPS-52 is in use by both irl swedish forces aswell as my au, therefor I use it, who do contemporary british/ european radars compare?

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Standard SM-1 vs. GWS 30. SeaDartPosted: March 4th, 2011, 3:08 pm
The Virginia's hangar was:
1) a last-minute addition
2) only big enough for a single SH-2
3) on a substantially bigger hull
4) a piece of crap that never worked satisfactorily

A bigger cutout, on a smaller hull... the flexing back there is going to make the hangar leak like a sieve, and that's your very best case scenario.

Type 909 is a gun director as well, and I can't imagine you ever needing to engage four targets at once with your guns. Realistically, you might have one of those small directors on each beam. Or none at all.

And I still think she's too small. You're very much volume-limited.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Standard SM-1 vs. GWS 30. SeaDartPosted: March 4th, 2011, 3:12 pm
Better but needs another 20 foot on her I think. Raised freeboard would be good too.
Generally though the layout is better.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Standard SM-1 vs. GWS 30. SeaDartPosted: March 4th, 2011, 11:49 pm
Might as well just have a flush deck hull and get some of that volume (and hull strength) that you so desperately need.

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Standard SM-1 vs. GWS 30. SeaDartPosted: March 5th, 2011, 11:54 am
Hmm....what do you think of a doubledened solution similar to the middeck hangar and deck to the one used on the CG-47 or Sovremeny. I am thinking of a low quaterdeck with guns and missilerail and a helicopterpad on a higher deck level.
[ img ]

I think each gun needs a director, atleast the 57mm. This ship can engage up to eight diffrent threats simultaioously - 4 long range and 4 at last ditch.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Standard SM-1 vs. GWS 30. SeaDartPosted: March 5th, 2011, 5:44 pm
Eight threats simultaneously... you're a 6000 ton destroyer, last I heard. Some sense needs to enter the conversation.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: