Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
olekit24
Post subject: Redrawn Olekit's problem worksPosted: June 12th, 2023, 9:44 am
Here I'll post my works, which were remade, redrawn and restored under the Shipbicket rules.

I'll ask you to examine this works for mistakes and write the decision: will it be accepted or I sould fix something else.

If the drawing OK, I'll ask you to add it to the Shipbucket's archive

[Profile] [Quote]
olekit24
Post subject: Re: Redrawn Olekit's problem worksPosted: June 12th, 2023, 9:45 am
I'll start form Augusta Victoria class.

Here is Don. Examine it, please.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Redrawn Olekit's problem worksPosted: June 12th, 2023, 7:25 pm
Hi!
It's cerainly a huge improvement, but there seems to be some issues. One, purely formal, is that the template is lacking shipbucket.com watermark in bottom right corner.
The superstructure seems to lack overhang shading (cast by walkways), and I'm concerned that canvas coverings of railings seem to have random texture (or these are artifacts? :( ).

[ img ]

Also, there seems to be an issue with hull shading. It's certainly closer to what is meant to be, than previous versions, but it looks to me "too thin" on bow, and too thick (and with randomly applied shades) on the stern.
I have no idea of actual shape of the hull at the stern, but I imagine, that the shading would look more like below (yellow is highlight, meaning that it's facing upwards or forwards and light - at least in theory - falls on it; orange is base, red is shade, maroon is deep shade and purple are breaks in surface that don't warrant use of black as it's not a 90-degrees break or outer contour).
I've included there a samples of what I imagine as cross-section of hull there (remember - it's only my guess and they are NOT to scale, merely a crude, hand-made sketches, to help You grasp the concept).

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
olekit24
Post subject: Re: Redrawn Olekit's problem worksPosted: June 12th, 2023, 8:41 pm
Railngs texture depicts wooden texture. We have discussed this long time ago and you and some other members came to the conclusion that this does not violate the rules.

So, I use wooden texture where the railings were made on wood. In other cases I use standard mono colour railing texture.

As for shaping. Ok, I'll redo it. As far as I understand, and I have studied most of pictures with merchant ships in the archive, shading usually not used by most of authors. And if used, it looks like a ribbon showing that the hull is not quite smooth here.

I'll make shadings at the stern using your example.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Redrawn Olekit's problem worksPosted: June 12th, 2023, 9:06 pm
I don't mean that railings are brown - that's ok. I mean, that if You look closely at the 1st sample I provided (Your drawing with some false colors applied), there are many blue dots on the railings, and that's what I'm concerned with.

As for hull shading... actually many ships in the archive, particularly merchant ones, have incorrectly done hull shading (so be careful what you take as an example). It was sort-of-tolerated, but Administration decided, that it should be discouraged from now on.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Redrawn Olekit's problem worksPosted: June 12th, 2023, 10:12 pm
As access to sources improved, it became possible to have hull shading actually be accurate. But 90% of the drawings that use hull shading in some form precede that point and thus the shading was not really talked about if it was accurate or not.

Also, maybe I'm wrong, but speaking of shading, where is the shading under the overhang on the first superstructure level? I mean the shipbucket standard overhang shading of a darker shade line under the black line of the overhanging deck. Is it not there or is it just in a shade that does not stand out at all?

[Profile] [Quote]
olekit24
Post subject: Re: Redrawn Olekit's problem worksPosted: June 13th, 2023, 8:25 pm
eswube wrote: *
I don't mean that railings are brown - that's ok. I mean, that if You look closely at the 1st sample I provided (Your drawing with some false colors applied), there are many blue dots on the railings, and that's what I'm concerned with.
Ah. This are railings covered with canvas. But something went wrong. Will correct it.

[Profile] [Quote]
olekit24
Post subject: Re: Redrawn Olekit's problem worksPosted: June 13th, 2023, 8:28 pm
ACL Don With corrections

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Redrawn Olekit's problem worksPosted: June 17th, 2023, 11:32 am
I haven't researched this particular ship, but I think that the "shaded" stripe of the middle of the hull ought to be thicker, as for now it looks like it was basically a flat-bottomed boat for most of the length.
IMHO this would be closer approximation:
[ img ]

And perhaps it ought to be even thicker, but not going to argue about it. Btw. You should use standard template with watermark in bottom-right corner.

[Profile] [Quote]
olekit24
Post subject: Re: Redrawn Olekit's problem worksPosted: June 17th, 2023, 2:52 pm
ok, redraw shaded part of bottom, transfer to the right template

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: