Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Olympic class propeller shaft shading...Posted: June 15th, 2023, 11:45 am
While the shading of the hull has already been settled. The next thing to deal with is the shading of the propeller shafts of the Central and Wing Propellers
The parts circled specifically:
[ img ]

Now I know that for the wing propellers, the shafts are mostly straight, the problem is when the shafts get near and enter into the hull. The thing here is the shape of the shadow created as they enter the hull. For the central propeller shaft, a small bit of the hull bulges and curves around the shaft as the hull is thinner than the shaft in that area of the ship.

I have already tried an attempt before (before the revision of the hull shading) and it's probably way off. I'm pretty sure this does not reflect on how they would actually be shaded IRL, not to mention i might have gotten the wing propeller's entry points into the hull wrong, making them look like they're separated too far apart.
[ img ]

On the matter of reference image for this stage of drawing. I got that covered:
https://i.imgur.com/ZsNuqj8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZsNuqj8.jpg

SB scaled lateral view:
https://i.imgur.com/vMps3Vf.png

this line plan has more cross section lines:
http://rms-titanic.fr/otb/armement/plan_poupe_02.jpg

Query, should the wing propellers have shadows underneath them and am i doing it right?
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Olympic class propeller shaft shading...Posted: June 15th, 2023, 5:53 pm
you don't need to start a new topic, you can keep it under the same topic in the forum.

And for the shading: How do you think it look in the real world, we simulate the real world, under shipbucket art-style, just follow it.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Olympic class propeller shaft shading...Posted: June 23rd, 2023, 4:05 pm
heuhen wrote: *
you don't need to start a new topic, you can keep it under the same topic in the forum.

And for the shading: How do you think it look in the real world, we simulate the real world, under shipbucket art-style, just follow it.
im using the 45 degree shading rule but i don't know how to shade specifically the area where the shafts enter the hull

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Olympic class propeller shaft shading...Posted: June 23rd, 2023, 6:22 pm
for the area where the shaft enter the hull, it all depends on the hull shape and how it enter the hull. You just shade as normal no need to anything special. The shade will always place it self in the same way as on rest of the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Olympic class propeller shaft shading...Posted: June 24th, 2023, 11:46 pm
second question i have is the at what point the cylindrical part of the shafts (the black lines) stop and i feel like i might have overextended them.

alkso, should a shadow be added under the wing propellers? they overhang when they leave the hull.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Olympic class propeller shaft shading...Posted: June 25th, 2023, 12:14 am
Quote:
second question i have is the at what point the cylindrical part of the shafts (the black lines) stop and i feel like i might have overextended them.
That depends to where the shaft enter the hull
Quote:
also, should a shadow be added under the wing propellers? they overhang when they leave the hull.
The depend on how close to the hull those propellers are.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Olympic class propeller shaft shading...Posted: June 25th, 2023, 6:13 am
Quote:
That depends to where the shaft enter the hull
Quote:
also, should a shadow be added under the wing propellers? they overhang when they leave the hull.
The depend on how close to the hull those propellers are.
yeah, and i feel like i overextended them too far.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Olympic class propeller shaft shading...Posted: June 25th, 2023, 12:25 pm
for the area where the shaft enter the hull, it all depends on the hull shape and how it enter the hull. You just shade as normal no need to anything special. The shade will always place it self in the same way as on rest of the ship.
i have another question, should i put a shadow under the wing propellers due to them overhanging?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Olympic class propeller shaft shading...Posted: June 25th, 2023, 3:45 pm
CodumCallum1666 wrote: *
i have another question, should i put a shadow under the wing propellers due to them overhanging?
see my previous answer.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Olympic class propeller shaft shading...Posted: June 27th, 2023, 11:51 pm
CodumCallum1666 wrote: *
see my previous answer.
does the 45 degree angle rule still apply to shading the wings?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: