Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
eswube
Post subject: Announcement: corrupted drawings in the ArchivePosted: June 29th, 2023, 8:26 am
As You know, some months ago it was revealed that a large body of works by one of SB artists have a number of issues with artifacts, contours in wrong colors, jpeging etc. etc. That discovery prompted the review of works of other Artists already in the archive (which will last for months, unfortunately).
As of now, it can be already said that similar problems are widespread, although, thankfuly, it's usually just about few stray pixels per drawing, and these are being fixed during the review.

Unfortunately, there are also works where such problems are massive. When their Creators are still around, they would be referred to them for update, but, sadly, some Artists are no longer active members of our community. If such works have replacements, they are simply marked as deprecated, and no further actions are taken, but sometimes they are only depictions of a given ship(s) in our archive. It has been decided, that such works will not be deleted, but will be kept in the archive for historic reasons, but will be marked with red "corrupted drawing, do not use" above the watermark.

Here's a sample of work with such marking: http://shipbucket.com/drawings/1188

Once again, it needs to be reminded to all Shipbucketeers, that it is Your duty to have works cleaned from any artifacts, stray pixels or recoloration. Please keep it in mind.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Announcement: corrupted drawings in the ArchivePosted: March 12th, 2024, 7:12 pm
In addition to issue mentioned above, there are also some (uploaded) works that aren't actually "corrupted", but rather are made in a style very divergent from the "proper SB style". These are primarily works by Psilander (whose style predates Shipbucket and at some point he adopted our scale while retaining his unique styling, so it was tolerated as "special exception"), but also SOME (not all) works by Craig Hoefer (CraigH) and perhaps something else might be revealed too. These works will be marked by red "Non-standard style, Uploaded as exception" in the bottom-right corner, above the shipbucket watermark.

[Profile] [Quote]
TakasugiEisaku
Post subject: Re: Announcement: corrupted drawings in the ArchivePosted: March 13th, 2024, 2:55 pm
how about downloaded drawings that does not have the corrupted image mark previusly they don't have it yet how about thoes that are downloaded and used they are the current drawings but does not have the red mark yet i have a large collection of them as i downloaded them months ago and already using them with modifications

note: can deprecated or abandoned drawings be put up for adoption to new owners and will have an adopted image watermark over the shipbucket watermark if the old owner of the drawing has given permission to hand over there work to someone else to take care of and leaving there name in the image to let users know who the image originally belong to

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Announcement: corrupted drawings in the ArchivePosted: March 13th, 2024, 7:02 pm
I'm not sure if I understood correctly Your questions, but I'll try answer them to my best.

1) Review of works relates only to works in the mainsite archive, and so does adding "corrupted image" or "non-standard style" marks. I have no means to add these marks to drawings on this forum, and especially to those already saved to your computer. :P
Review is an ongoing project that started about a year ago and will take around 2 more months to complete. I'm afraid that until it will be declared complete, You'll have to consider anything you have downloaded and used as "suspect".

2) I would never encourage anyone to clean-up someone elses works from the archive. If they are messed-up, then they are messed-up. End of the story (I'm doing some cleaning-up as part of the review, but it's only about fixing some stray pixels here and there, making some line that ought to be black but isn't genuinely black etc. - those marked as "corrupted" have HUGE amounts of such issues, fixing of which would take disproportionate amount of time). Original authors - if they are still around - may fix them if they want to.
And if you want to draw a ship that someone else has already drawn, you're free to do it and there is no need to have that fact marked on the "old (already made") drawing. It's kind to ask the author of such old work, but hardly a requirement, considering that lots of once-productive artists are no longer active and there is simply no way to ask them at all.
(another thing is that if you want to draw such "already present" ship, then it never hurts to ask yourself "can I really do it any better than it already is?" - but that's a completely different thing)
EDIT: And obviously, if You were to use any parts of the "old drawing" in Yours, then all previously existing conditions apply (including the CC license provisions) - but You can't "adopt" someone's old work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: