Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
Carnac
Post subject: Various questions about various sensorsPosted: April 29th, 2011, 12:04 am
1. For a frigate (~100m long) that won't launch SM-2, can you get away with just SPY-1 and SPQ-9B? (Obviously not including nav radar)

2. More related to shipbucket, how does one go about drawing a towed array sonar deployed from a stern door?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Various questions about various sensorsPosted: April 29th, 2011, 12:56 am
Carnac wrote:
1. For a frigate (~100m long) that won't launch SM-2, can you get away with just SPY-1 and SPQ-9B? (Obviously not including nav radar)
When is she being designed and built as that would change the electronics fit [A ship being designed in 1995 would be different than one from 2010]. I'd find it hard to justify the inclusion of SPY-1 on a 100 meter hull. The Nansens are about 135 meters long, and they are about as small of a platform as you probably should go for AEGIS.
Carnac wrote:
2. More related to shipbucket, how does one go about drawing a towed array sonar deployed from a stern door?
Generally if the door would show up on a side view, then you show it, otherwise there are no standard displays.

Oh, and Welcome to Shipbucket Forums.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Various questions about various sensorsPosted: April 29th, 2011, 1:22 am
They're built early 2000s to now. I'm not talking about full on SPY-1 though, I mean SPY-1K. Supposedly, it's designed to be able to be used down to a corvette. Also as it's probably relevant, the ship is armed with a Mk 41 VLS and two Millennium guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Various questions about various sensorsPosted: April 29th, 2011, 3:34 am
Carnac wrote:
They're built early 2000s to now. I'm not talking about full on SPY-1 though, I mean SPY-1K. Supposedly, it's designed to be able to be used down to a corvette. Also as it's probably relevant, the ship is armed with a Mk 41 VLS and two Millennium guns.

Ok, that makes more sense. You could get away with just those two systems (SPY-1K and SPQ-9B), but it wouldn't be optimal, and you would be better off with active illuminators such as SPG-62s. If you don't have them, then I could see the accelerated development of an active seeker head for the ESSM (similar to that on the SLAAMRAM and the SM-6). The other option is to put the seeker head from the AIM-7R (which is used on the SM-2MR Block 3) and has both IR and Radar terminal modes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Various questions about various sensorsPosted: April 29th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Thanks. I think I'll replace the SPQ-9B with front and rear SPG-62.

Edit: Scratch that, it seems the SPG-62s can fit nicely even without replacing the SPQ.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to β€œGeneral Discussion”

Jump to: