Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Hello SailorPosted: August 21st, 2010, 2:35 pm
Well, the way it works around here is that we pay a yearly license and in return we get six state run commercial free TV channels and four radio channels via the terrestrial network. On top of that you can buy cable or satellite to get access to god knows how many channels, but they aren't run by the state, and thus aren't covered by the license.
But even the ones that have commercials only have about half as many as in the US, and the blocks are shorter. This leads to a lot of slightly weird moments when watching American programs. We get a lot of "See you after the break" [Fade out-Fade in] "Welcome back!" and many series have places where the screen fades to black and the fades back in to the same scene.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Hello SailorPosted: August 21st, 2010, 2:37 pm
In the U.K. (and I think Australia) a t.v. licence is mandatory for viewing any broadcast, whether commercial or the public channel (BBC), this also applies to Cable and Satellite. The BBC is funded via the licence fee, so no commercials. The BBC is not a broadcasting arm of the goverment: it has no bias and can report and investigate news without any political or commercial influences. It also has a large viewing and listening audience (as it is the biggest radio service worldwide) for light entertainment and sport. It also generates a lot of export revenue from selling programs overseas; and of course it has the World Service radio, which broadcasts worldwide into many countries.

As I don't pay for a t.v. licence I can listen to the radio, or watch dvd's, so long as I'm not actually receiving a t.v. channel. If I get a friend to record a t.v. broadcast I still can't watch it so I miss out on Dr.Who (oh yeah!). As I enjoy fighting with mindless bureacrats, the countless threatening letters and sinister men in trench coats I encounter from the t.v. licencing authority give me much to combat against.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Hello SailorPosted: August 21st, 2010, 2:39 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Holy shit, I'd pay for a license for no commercials.

I've always thought it was really silly that we pay good money for satellite or cable TV and we still have to be constantly brutalized by advertising.

I'd pay good money to shoot the Progressive girl "Flo" in the head.
Haha, I agree.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Hello SailorPosted: August 21st, 2010, 2:43 pm
In Denmark the license isn't technically mandatory. However, since you pay for the opportunity to listen and/or see their programs, you have to pay it if you have the means to do so, ie if you own a TV, radio, Computer, smartphone etc.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Hello SailorPosted: August 21st, 2010, 3:47 pm
Ahoy Bill! I was already looking for you, nice to see you back, I wanted to send an email about the new forum, but I've forgotten it, my bad btw

[Quote]
nebnoswal
Post subject: Re: Hello SailorPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 12:24 am
[quote="Portsmouth Bill"]In the U.K. (and I think Australia) a t.v. licence is mandatory for viewing any broadcast, whether commercial or the public channel (BBC), this also applies to Cable and Satellite. quote]

TV is free in Australia. In the majority of the land there is the national broadcaster, the ABC (which in the digital age has 4 sub channels, 24H news, ABC1, ABC 2 + ABC3 - kids) and 3 commercial channels = 7, 9 + 10. There is also SBS –Special Broadcasting Service , a govt subsidised station that provides multilingual and multicultural services (where they play all the soccer). In rural areas the broadcast reach of the main commercial channels drops-off but is picked-up by rural networks which have a mixture of several commercial channels. There is also an indigenous channel, Imparja, which operates similar to a rural channel, but with indigenous focus. The only TV you have to pay for is satellite/cable TV, which gives you the multitude to channels from all over the world.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Hello SailorPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 5:05 am
Colosseum wrote:
I'm a bit hesitant to advocate shooting women in the head, even if it is in jest towards an advertising icon...but on the other hand, I'm also very hesitant towards disagreeing with a moderator.

Especially Colo.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Hello SailorPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 5:17 am
Well, you could always "accidentally" hit her with a car or a truck.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Hello SailorPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 5:22 am
ezgo394 wrote:
Well, you could always "accidentally" hit her with a car or a truck.
Or, preferably, steam-roller.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Hello SailorPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:19 am
klagldsf wrote:
Colosseum wrote:
I'm a bit hesitant to advocate shooting women in the head, even if it is in jest towards an advertising icon...but on the other hand, I'm also very hesitant towards disagreeing with a moderator.

Especially Colo.
Don't be so severe, you know exactly what I mean.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: