Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 6  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: shipbucket ships on other websites with no crediting...Posted: February 4th, 2011, 3:54 am
IIRC this website sells vector drawings only. The Shipbucket drawings I found there are free. :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: shipbucket ships on other websites with no crediting...Posted: February 4th, 2011, 4:14 am
I'm keeping an eye on him. If my DG/AEGIS ever goes up there, well I have options.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: shipbucket ships on other websites with no crediting...Posted: February 4th, 2011, 5:51 am
Actually, he doesn't charge you for any of the SB drawings. You may have to be a member to see them due to the size restrictions on the page, but that's free.
He's actually above average when it comes to off-site users since he include the credits.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: shipbucket ships on other websites with no crediting...Posted: February 4th, 2011, 10:05 pm
I know that site, and as mentioned above, he doesn't charge for the drawings, only for the vector drawings. In order to see the other drawings you need a free registration to the site, otherwise you can see the drawings but limited in size.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: shipbucket ships on other websites with no crediting...Posted: March 4th, 2011, 7:57 pm
he isn't always including the credits...
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprint ... ft_carrier_//
I don't know if this is the case on more drawings, but if so, shouldn't we take action?
also, I hear more and more on deviantart that the origin of many of these drawings is not shipbucket but blueprints.com, which is not what I prefer... couldn't we ask the admin over there to place a more visible link to the original source?

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: shipbucket ships on other websites with no crediting...Posted: March 4th, 2011, 11:37 pm
It's a bit of a two edged sword.Without that site we would not have as many drawings to copy in the first place.On a question of credits if we find a reference drawing to use with credit,we totally obliterate it to make an SB standard drawing and leave not a pixel of the original drawing.Do we still add credit to the original artist? On a different note I have spotted a number of my own drawings being kitbashed by new members without credit on our own site.Not that I'm that bothered we all have to start somewhere and we have all done it,and in a way quite complimentry that they liked your ship so much as to use it.Swings and roundabouts really.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: shipbucket ships on other websites with no crediting...Posted: March 5th, 2011, 12:07 am
Frankly I'm with you Bombhead, but to a point. The Shipbucket rules clearly state that original creator/artist of a drawing should allways be credited, and if this basic rule isn't enforced here, that how can we expect other sites to do that.
I realy think that 'kitbashing' is good practice, but credits should be added where and when relevant.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: shipbucket ships on other websites with no crediting...Posted: March 5th, 2011, 12:11 am
8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: shipbucket ships on other websites with no crediting...Posted: March 5th, 2011, 10:11 am
Yes I was browisng this site the other day and was surprised to find the whole catalogue of Shipbucket reproduced.

It's nice to know we are becoming a trusted source but is there really any need for him to duplicate our archive?
He must have read the fair-use agreement as its hard to miss on the archive site. Really people should looking at the archive for our work, not third-party sites like Blueprints.com.

Is there any way to determine visitor numbers for the archive? Maybe we need to look at advertising it a bit more.
Anyhow our style has become well known now, anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows Blueprints.com is a mass store of plans rather than a creator of such material. We don't want to go down the route of stamping all our works as Shipbucket all over the internet and alienating other sites.
Bombhead raises a good point though about tracing over an existing line drawing, technically we are copying someone elses work and 'colouring' it in basically with a few SB parts added on. Does that make SB better than a black and white line drawing or vice-versa? Some rhetorical questions I think for ourselves to answer before we try and stamp our brand across the world.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: shipbucket ships on other websites with no crediting...Posted: March 5th, 2011, 12:26 pm
but wouldn't that lead to an huge line of credits? the drawing we work from, has it's origin on the plans in some book, or some pictures, or even as far back as the shipbuilders........
also, I would rather say that the shipbucket scale and parts sheets known, not our style, crediting etc.. and I think that should be the other way around.

a little note: theblueprints.com takes the drawings off the old photobucket account mostly.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 6  [ 52 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: