Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: What is a "torpedo logger"?Posted: August 24th, 2010, 12:23 am
I was browsing the forums on NS and found an RP news story where someone was apparently RPing having produced a Solar/biogas turbine hybrid cruiser (interesting enough) and a fully solar-powered ship called a "torpedo logger". Being a bit of a naval enthusiast I was surprised I did not know what this was. I Googled it and found nothing matching those keywords. So does anyone here know what exactly a "torpedo logger" is? Is it an actual type of ship, or some kind of made-up AU and/or NS designation?

This is the picture they provided of the so-called "torpedo logger":
[ img ]

From what they say it is a ship based off the craft PlanetSolar, the latter as I found out being real.

This is the link to the NS post where the ship is mentioned.

If anyone knows what this is, could someone provide examples of a real-life "torpedo logger"?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: What is a "torpedo logger"?Posted: August 24th, 2010, 4:34 am
Can't see the link at all. Might have something to do with the fact that I got myself banned from NS :twisted:

I would guess it's a trawler for torpedo nets.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: What is a "torpedo logger"?Posted: August 24th, 2010, 4:37 am
...Do I want to know how you got banned?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: What is a "torpedo logger"?Posted: August 24th, 2010, 4:52 am
Yes I do, but that's neither here nor there. Just rest assured that it's for things that, since I haven't been pulling them off here now, I won't be soon, or later.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: What is a "torpedo logger"?Posted: August 24th, 2010, 6:47 am
klagldsf wrote:
Can't see the link at all. Might have something to do with the fact that I got myself banned from NS :twisted:

I would guess it's a trawler for torpedo nets.
I thought if you were banned it meant you couldn't create nations, not that you couldn't see what the pages look like. Hmmm...

EDIT: For klagldsf, here is what the post looked like since you can't see it.
The Dog Hold wrote:
Dog Holdian Navy Solar-Powered Task Force Embarks on Maiden Voyage

[ img ]
The Solar-Powered Torpedo Logger Saare Hord at port in Talvhord before embarking.

This past week, a naval task force comprising two ships, the torpedo logger DHML Saare Hord and the guided-missile cruiser Põhjamaa embarked from Talvhord Harbor on their maiden voyage in the ocean. However, these are not your average warships- they are solar-powered. The Saare Hord, while the Põhjamaa is a hybrid of solar power and biofuel/flexfuel turbine. The Saare Hord was a purchase and modification of the Swiss vessel PlanetSolar, while the Põhjamaa is Holdian-made. The Põhjamaa is the first hybrid-powered warship in Holdian service, and perhaps one of the first cruisers in the world to run on solar power in any form. As stated by the captain of the DHML Põhjamaa, Edgar Urb, "This is one of the greenest warships in the world, but believe me this ship is not for 'hippies'. It has a spectrum of weapons to counter a wide range of threats." The powerful cruiser can carry multiple Penguin anti-ship missiles, Mk 46 surface torpedo tubes, SeaWolf missiles, "Blimp Killer" fragmenting SAMs, and other systems, including the Sea Giraffe radar. The ship also has small dispensers running along the sides that can fire fragmenting grenades with shards of glass to protect against small craft. As Urb stated, "If I were a pirate, and I wanted to pick a fight with the Põhjamaa, and those things come out and spray the glass all over the place, I do not want to be that pirate". The ships are conducting a long-range cruise and based on recent reports are currently heading into Haven. They are to pass through Haven waters, then go through Tarquinia, then head to Azhukali, then down through Wysteria before making a round over the top of Angolis, briefly cutting through Swilantis, and finally entering the waters off Eastern Europe and heading back to port in Talvhord.

OOC: A large part of the research for this article is thanks to my boyfriend.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Original post

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: What is a "torpedo logger"?Posted: August 24th, 2010, 11:58 am
Why does he claim that its ability to run on biofuels is unique? One of the trademarks of turbines is their ability to run on just about any flammable liquid that can be squeezed through the fuel nozzles.

Anyway, I'd guess it means torpedoboat in this context.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: What is a "torpedo logger"?Posted: August 25th, 2010, 2:01 am
Thiel wrote:
Anyway, I'd guess it means torpedoboat in this context.
I asked her and she said she invented the term to mean a boat which has internal torpedo bays in the hull (above the water) from which it can drop torpedoes directly into the water.

As for this:
Thiel wrote:
Why does he claim that its ability to run on biofuels is unique? One of the trademarks of turbines is their ability to run on just about any flammable liquid that can be squeezed through the fuel nozzles.
This is good news for me, because in my AU I can use turbine-powered cruisers, destroyers, etc. that run on vine-derived ethanol fuel (the materials for which being an abundant resource in my AU nation) without everyone looking at me funny.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: What is a "torpedo logger"?Posted: August 25th, 2010, 2:22 am
It's funny really. When discussing tanks, everybody pulls out this fact when the M1 comes up, but nobody seems to make the connection when it comes to ships.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: What is a "torpedo logger"?Posted: August 25th, 2010, 2:30 am
Thiel wrote:
It's funny really. When discussing tanks, everybody pulls out this fact when the M1 comes up, but nobody seems to make the connection when it comes to ships.
I saw something about the ANZAC-class frigate using a gas turbine and thought "Whoa", then I looked up the Burke-class and found out it also runs on a turbine.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: What is a "torpedo logger"?Posted: August 25th, 2010, 2:32 am
Wikipedia & Universe wrote:
Thiel wrote:
I saw something about the ANZAC-class frigate using a gas turbine and thought "Whoa", then I looked up the Burke-class and found out it also runs on a turbine.
Most modern warships uses gas turbines, either alone or in combination with some other form of propulsion, usually diesel.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: