Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
DigitalShipyard
Post subject: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 26th, 2011, 3:28 pm
I am flattered drawings from my collection have been sources to create ShipBucket versions of the Great Lake ships I have drawn. I have no problem with them being used to help as a source of useful information and am happy someone finds them useful. But I would like to see some type of source creditation when my works are used/referenced. Is this a ShipBucket standard that sources and credit should by noted?

~John

Split from here - erik_t

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Red WingPosted: September 26th, 2011, 3:38 pm
Not the idea of shipbucket.....

[Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Red WingPosted: September 26th, 2011, 3:52 pm
It's not standard, but I we're an accommodating bunch so I can't see why it shouldn't be possible.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Red WingPosted: September 26th, 2011, 4:37 pm
DigitalShipyard wrote:
I am flattered drawings from my collection have been sources to create ShipBucket versions of the Great Lake ships I have drawn. I have no problem with them being used to help as a source of useful information and am happy someone finds them useful. But I would like to see some type of source creditation when my works are used/referenced. Is this a ShipBucket standard that sources and credit should by noted?

~John
I'm sympathetic to this point of view - this does look to be nearly a pure tracing of your fine work. However, I am not sure where (or how) we would draw a line on the degree to which references are credited. For example, A.D. Baker's excellent line drawings have probably served as the basis for fifty drawings here, without exaggeration.

I think the administration would be open to suggestions on how to handle this issue. I am going to take the liberty of splitting the issue into General Discussions.

[Profile] [Quote]
Chris
Post subject: Re: Red WingPosted: September 26th, 2011, 8:20 pm
As this was my first Shipbucket deign I choose the Red Wing for a multitude of reasons, one of which being John’s very well drawn Red Wing. It is not my intent to copy someone else’s work and I do not believe I copied anyone’s work. Of course I used John’s Red Wing drawing as a reference. You will find that there are a multitude of differences in my design of the Red Wing compared to John’s. Everything in my drawing is my original design with the exception of the lifeboat, anchor and propeller. As I stated above since this was my first Shipbucket drawing I thought it would be best to draw something that someone had already drawn so I could compare what I had drawn to theirs. There are other members on this site who have used John’s drawings as reference without giving credit. John’s designs are far superior to any other design on this website and the amount of detail in his designs surpasses any other drawing of a ship I have seen. The silhouette of my design might be the same as John’s but they are both different designs. I do apologize for not giving credit to John’s work that I referenced his design and if I ever use his work as references again I will be sure to give him credit.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Red WingPosted: September 26th, 2011, 8:44 pm
Quote:
.John’s designs are far superior to any other design on this website and the amount of detail in his designs surpasses any other drawing of a ship I have seen
Dude, Well leave use... And perhaps we have a other scale and other system..... So what's your point? why are you here?

I am done with this shitty discussion. It will end up as nothing.

[Quote]
Chris
Post subject: Re: Red WingPosted: September 26th, 2011, 8:52 pm
ALVAMA wrote:
Quote:
.John’s designs are far superior to any other design on this website and the amount of detail in his designs surpasses any other drawing of a ship I have seen
Dude, Well leave use... And perhaps we have a other scale and other system..... So what's your point? why are you here?

I am done with this shitty discussion. It will end up as nothing.
You interrupted that completely the wrong way, I enjoy shipbucket because everything is to scale and it is a manageable scale to draw in. I meant it to be interrupted as that my design of the Red Wing is nowhere near the quality of John's and there are a huge amount of differences in drawing something to a completely different scale.

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 26th, 2011, 11:55 pm
Well here goes another pointless discution...
If we to credit every reference we use for designing SB ships it would look life this:
(Radome, Google, Some books, Some old photos, Imagination) and so on and on...

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 27th, 2011, 3:15 am
I think a relevant point is this: usually some synthesis must occur, blending multiple authoritative references (together with a healthy sense of skepticism and knowledge of the subject) in order to arrive at a cohesive whole. This is almost straight tracing, in both line and color.

Chris did not do anything wrong, but I think John is right to feel a little grumpy that his careful and meticulous work was piggy-backed on in such a way. Personally, I would prefer that both parties be happy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 27th, 2011, 8:20 am
The difficulty (here) is where the source and the Shipbucket drawing appear very similar, as in the Red Wing drawn by Chris from the original by John. In this case I would suggest that the source be credited on the drawing, even though John's original is not Shipbucket he is a well respected artist. And I also accept that Chris was not 'plagarising' the original, but using it to develop his skills (an thereby recognising John's superior talent).

And yes, what Shipbucket drawing has not been drawn without reference to other peoples work? When we use drawings and photographs we are all piggybacking, but in most cases there is no need for crediting because the Shipbucket drawing stands apart. It was good of John to raise this issue, and it deserves intelligent contributions.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: