Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 28th, 2011, 4:31 pm
Just playing Devils advocate here.When you post your work on the internet you leave yourself and your drawing wide open for all sorts of things.Your artwork is superb and Chris has done a really good job on the SB version.The flip side of the coin is however when some "artists" take your ship as a basis for some fancy AU, totally fcuk it up and your name is on the credits,thus leading the whole planet to believe you had a hand in the monstrosity drawn.This has happened to me on a few occasions and at first it used to raise my blood pressure,now I just :lol: :lol: That's just my 2 bob's worth.As to the answer I'll leave that to the Admin and Mods.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 28th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Bombheads reply is pretty correct. One just need to accept that once something is out there it will be there, stay there and turn into hiddeous crap with your name on it. ;)

Shipbucket credits only applies to the artists who have created the drawing. No one naturally forbids people to mention their reference credits when posting their drawings

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 28th, 2011, 10:08 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
Shipbucket credits only applies to the artists who have created the drawing. No one naturally forbids people to mention their reference credits when posting their drawings

True, and while I agree that the letter of the standards was not broken, the spirit of them was if not violated, very nearly violated.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 28th, 2011, 10:33 pm
Radome wrote:
Well here goes another pointless discution...
If we to credit every reference we use for designing SB ships it would look life this:
(Radome, Google, Some books, Some old photos, Imagination) and so on and on...

This is a very valid point.One way of getting around this is to thank the original artist of the reference material when you post your drawing.If it does not infringe any copyrights maybe post your reference drawing with your own.I don't think the original artist would be aggrieved as we would then be advertising their work to a wider audience.Lets face it none of us who draw can be shy and retiring types or we wouldn't post our work for the whole world to see.Plus of course it's only common courtisy to thank the people who made your drawing possible in the first place.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 28th, 2011, 10:56 pm
Quote Timothy C
True, and while I agree that the letter of the standards was not broken, the spirit of them was if not violated, very nearly violated.[/quote]

Sorry Tim I can't agree with that.When you get a really good reference drawing it's every artists wet dream.You slavishly copy/trace it to the best of your ability and finish it off to the SB standards in your own style.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 28th, 2011, 11:08 pm
Bombhead wrote:
Timothy C wrote:
True, and while I agree that the letter of the standards was not broken, the spirit of them was if not violated, very nearly violated.

Sorry Tim I can't agree with that.When you get a really good reference drawing it's every artists wet dream.You slavishly copy/trace it to the best of your ability and finish it off to the SB standards in your own style.
I really wouldn't know. I'm not anywhere near as prolific as the rest of you, and what I have drawn, as been done with very limited sources.

What we have is a continuum ranging from
  • Doing a very nearly 1-1 copy off of source material for not just lines but color (what we see here)
  • Tracing off of an A.D. Baker III quality drawing with a lot of pictures for detail
  • Working off of a low-quality outline with a lot of pictures
  • Working off of a handful of pictures and low quality drawings (this is where CGBL falls)
  • A painting/outline of something very very similar and some written specifications (this is where DG/AEGIS and the Mission Essential Unit [MEU] fall)
Very clearly standing policy has been that the second category does not require a citation, and the question that arises is if the first category does. It's going to be a very fine line.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 28th, 2011, 11:17 pm
Its always a fine line Tim but that line has to be set somewhere.As Rhade quite rightly says the credit line would be 3 miles long.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tanthalas
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 29th, 2011, 3:37 am
IDK for me I usualy work from as many sources as I can possibly find, so listing them all would in some cases be very dificult.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 29th, 2011, 3:49 am
Rodondo's two cents; It's very rare to do a SB drawing without someones drawing, picture or efforts. I myself have only done two RL ones without someone else's work . Unfortunately (but fortunately in this example due to the pleasant weather) you have to sojourn into the field, track down your desired ship and take a few pictures, this is impossible for many cases (neverbuilds, ships no longer in existence etc). In the few cases like this were the ship is slightly altered to SB, whilst not mentioned upon the drawing, perhaps credited in the opening comment?

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 29th, 2011, 5:37 am
I use pictures for any drawing because also the best reference has been made by somebody who is actual "filtering" the reality.

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: