Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
rickdog
Post subject: Re: How to use DropboxPosted: January 29th, 2013, 3:00 pm
That`s why I underlined New users, as new users who download the program, don`t get to have have a public folder, and therefore can`t get any public links. Even if you afterwards create a folder that you name as "public folder", it simply doesn`t work that way any longer. Older users of the program, don`t have this kind of trouble, as this function is still available for them (for now, :? , as many in the web believe that sooner or later, dropbox will extend this issue that now affects only new users, to everyone as well) .

As I've read in the web (mostly users opinion, once Tim told me that he was aware that this issue was to be executed for new users someday, about the issue), unfortunately some "crooks" always find ways to evade fiscalization, and through dropbox they've found a perfect tool to exchange files and prohibited content material by the use of the public folders, so dropbox.com, took the option to eliminate the public folder for new users, in order to avoid themselves be prosecuted as co-authors in whatever fellony takes place by some of these users, who usually log in with false names and identities, use the web some time and afterwards never use the program again, till they sign in again with a new false identity and continue afterwards, doing their stuff through dropbox. :cry:

So unfortunately, as always happens in this cases, lots of innocents have to pay for whatever some few bad people decide to do.

Last edited by rickdog on January 29th, 2013, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: How to use DropboxPosted: January 29th, 2013, 3:08 pm
The folder should be named "Public", not "public folder". The filename is essential.

I did find this, though:
http://threads.scripting.com/61512ByDw/ ... blicFolder

So it may very well be that Dropbox has discontinued allowing the Public folder to be used by new members. That's a pain in the ass!

[Profile] [Quote]
rickdog
Post subject: Re: How to use DropboxPosted: January 29th, 2013, 3:35 pm
You can`t imagine, how many folders I got created in my account named "Public", many of which I already deleted. I tried it in spanish, english and even one that I named as "Public" and used a tanslator to have it published in Korean characters. :P.
It simply doesn`t work that way any longer.

Anyhow it still gives a link, which anyone can access without any problems, although through it, it also shows whomever opens that link, know exactly who you are (if you were honest the moment you suscribed in dropbox.com), as at top of the drawing appears your complete name clearly for anyone to see it. It makes this whole issue of Avatars and nicks, to maintain your private life as secret in the web, into something completely foolish and unuseful. Whatever, in my case, I don`t have nothing to hide, but I don`t know what others may think on the issue.

Last edited by rickdog on January 29th, 2013, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: How to use DropboxPosted: January 29th, 2013, 3:39 pm
Eh, re: privacy and the internet, it's unfortunate but the second you login, forget about any hint of privacy... :(

Very sad to see Dropbox cut off the Public folder. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for all users. So annoying that some bad eggs can ruin the experience for everyone else by hosting copyrighted work.

And it's even more annoying because I don't think I have a suitable replacement worked out other than a private FTP site...

[Profile] [Quote]
rickdog
Post subject: Re: How to use DropboxPosted: January 29th, 2013, 3:45 pm
Btw (ha, remember that one in the old forum ?, :lol: ), off-topic here,
hi man, long not talking to you.
;)
I sure appreciate it.
(You can delete this post afterwards)

Last edited by rickdog on January 29th, 2013, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: How to use DropboxPosted: January 29th, 2013, 5:35 pm
Anyway I stick to Photobucket

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: How to use DropboxPosted: August 20th, 2014, 10:13 am
Please note:

There is a new version of Dropbox.

When downloading and installing Dropbox it no longer creates the 'Public' and other folders used in the original version. (Talking about Public folder to people trying to use the new version will only confuse them.)

Download and install Dropbox - it creates the folder in your system called 'Dropbox'.

Move the drawings you want to display into that folder.

Right clicking on the drawings in the folder will give you an option 'Share Dropbox Link' - click on the link and a pop-up will say 'Dropbox link 'Blah blah' is copied to your clipboard'.

In Shipbucket open the img tag and paste the link as per normal - it will look like this:
"https://www.dropbox.com/s/sa3ra3bzym11c ... 934%29.PNG"
using that link only takes you to the resized drawings in Dropbox. Or the crossed square of doom.

I use a notepad txt file with one line in it: dl.dropboxusercontent.com

That line gets pasted in to replace the "www.dropbox.com" txt all the slashes etc remain

what you should now have between the image tags is:
"https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/sa3 ... 934%29.PNG"

and if it works as advertised, below will show a destroyer.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: How to use DropboxPosted: August 20th, 2014, 8:39 pm
Nice one Krakatoa. That is very helpful when using Dropbox.
The destroyer itself is also a nice ship.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: How to use DropboxPosted: August 20th, 2014, 8:49 pm
the updated version, more elaborated!

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... f=5&t=5524

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: How to use DropboxPosted: August 8th, 2016, 12:20 am
Actually, the DD looks very happenin'!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: