Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Database LightbulbPosted: March 6th, 2016, 2:02 am
bezobrazov wrote:
Out of sheer curiosity: when I get my ass around to actually submit my DofEs for upload (to replace [possibly!] the old, outdated drawings in the Archive), how would it look like accordingto the proposed naming practice?
This post explains it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Database LightbulbPosted: March 6th, 2016, 5:40 am
And one of the things that should be mandatory that is missing is 'Date' All those Russian ships that Golly (and the other Russian ship artists) have drawn with all the project names mean not much to me. Put a date on it then you know immediately what era it represents. Which makes it easier for those of us who have no idea on modern equipment. Vice versa for all the early projects where a member has no idea of the fittings for WW1 and WW2 ships. There is a massive difference between a cruiser of 1939 - 1942 - 1945. Different radar, AA, and peripherals, torpedoes (yes or no), aircraft. In some cases more than half a dozen drawings of a ship should be done to cover all the stages of that ships career, and each should have a date on it. Darth Panda has fooled us a few times with the early American ship drawings he has done by naming the thread "USS Iowa" and we all click in expecting to see the modern Iowa class and get USS Iowa BB-4 1897-1919 instead. I am sure DP has a good laugh.

All the aircraft and land vehicles should be the same. Date of entry to service, even prototype first flown, last flight. Whatever date represents the model/type you are depicting.

In most cases for all these real and never were drawings, Wiki has some info that you can just cut'n'paste or the book you got the scan from will have data you can transfer.

We all look at the excellent work the modern SB artists (maomatic, DG, GD, BB1987, Rodondo, Blackbuck, Ace, Alvama just to name a few) and how they make the drawings come alive by putting in all the extra information and backstories that the ships they have drawn deserve.

Come on guys it is not rocket science.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Database LightbulbPosted: March 6th, 2016, 1:25 pm
@Krakatoa
Re: USS Iowa - that's what pennant numbers are for in US Navy. I mean, there's rather a visible difference between BB-4 and BB-64 (yeah, I know it's not Iowa but Wisconsin, but still the same class ;) ). And is the making those few mouse-clicks to look into the picture itself such a horribly hard work?
Re: everything else - how do You imagine implementing the changes You demand? :twisted:
Especially on the works already made? 2013 database overhaul took several weeks to do to several of us, so who is supposed to do these changes only You seem to demand?
Quote:
In most cases for all these real and never were drawings, Wiki has some info that you can just cut'n'paste or the book you got the scan from will have data you can transfer.
Well, I'd say that equally well the person who is unaware of things like "what era it represents" or "Date of entry to service, even prototype first flown, last flight" may try to be less lazy and simply use Wiki or Google to find out. :evil:

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Database LightbulbPosted: March 6th, 2016, 2:04 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Darth Panda has fooled us a few times with the early American ship drawings he has done by naming the thread "USS Iowa" and we all click in expecting to see the modern Iowa class and get USS Iowa BB-4 1897-1919 instead. I am sure DP has a good laugh.
I think you're getting confused between the main archive and the forum. The problem can be seen below...

In the US folder on the left, files are labeled Pennant number[SPACE]unit name[SPACE]year. So in the case of Darth Panda's Iowa, it's correctly listed as BB-4 Iowa 1897.png. You can see that now, there's a whole list of BB's with no pennant number.

In the GB folder as with most other folders, there are an agreed list of ship abbreviations as linked by TJ above. These files should be listed as Abbreviation[SPACE]Pennant number[SPACE]Unit name[SPACE]year.png That means no underscores, no HMS... Some ships have been entered as GB first and others only a name. As the bucket gets bigger, the database will become more mangled and harder to find the ship that you want. It's important that discipline is maintained when importing these beautiful drawings. I think the community needs to police itself on this but we all must be on the same page! :D

[ img ][ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Database LightbulbPosted: March 6th, 2016, 6:02 pm
Jesus guys - read what is written.

DP's drawings are fine in the archive - I said nothing about the archive. With DP it was the threads that he opened for the ships he drew. No dates or Pennant numbers were put on those thread titles. With the threads it is up to the creator what he puts there. But that was a good example. Yes a couple of extra clicks will let you find out Eswube. If the information from Wiki was added to the thread and some to the drawing (dates). Shipbucket would look a lot more professional than it does now. There would be no need to do extra research in Wiki - the information would be there. You want an Example Eswube - you go find all the details of those lovely drawings you did recently for Polish wings in Wiki.

You will note Eswube that I have not asked for retroactive adding of dates to the archive - that would be a huge job. And almost impossible to alter the drawings themselves which in most cases are the culprits. You Eswube (and others) did a marvellous job on the master lists to bring them to the state they are - and I said so in public.

What I would like to see is every drawing from here forward including dates in their titles and filenames. Is that really so much to ask of such talented people who produce such excellent drawings in SB?

I have not 'demanded' anything. But if you are one of the culprits who does not put dates on your drawings I am sure you will see it that way.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Database LightbulbPosted: March 6th, 2016, 6:31 pm
the real thing that should happen, krakatoa, is an real database for the archive, which is searchable. this was in the plans colo was working on but as explained, nobody has been able to really realise this.

that said, you may note that quite a few of my drawings have a year on them. it would be good to add year depicted to the filename when possible, but I think quite a few authors already do so.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Database LightbulbPosted: March 7th, 2016, 3:10 am
@Krakatoa

As l said, this discussion thread is about tidying up the database on the main site and making sure that files uploaded in future are correctly named thus saving a lot of someone's time.

If you want to start a discussion on forum guidelines please start a new thread.

This topic means a lot to me as I, with a couple of others, Eswube included, devoted a a fair chunk of our time trawling through lists and correcting file names and created some kind of order.

Ace is right, the best solution would be a searchable database... I'm not sure how viable that is at the moment or what options for this solution are available.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Return to โ€œGeneral Discussionโ€ | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: