Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 16 of 16  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page « 112 13 14 15 16
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 11:24 am
I found something in Flight Global Archive and I am downloading it right now, thanks for the book, it would be interesting.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=987.90

Here, about the middle of page there is an artistic image of Saro P.104 design. It looks to me more like a sea plane conversion of Lancaster.

If we suppose that the Saro P.104 was built (or some derivative), what would replace it?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 1:36 pm
That what-if modelling site page is misleading. The Saro P.104 had nothing to do with the Lancaster or the Shackelton.
Quote:
If we suppose that the Saro P.104 was built (or some derivative), what would replace it?
Nimrod.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: February 26th, 2017, 11:54 pm
Thread about Supermarine Scimitar in What If Modellers:

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=16258.0

Other threads:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/ ... ar.375942/
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... imitar-f1/

As it seems from third link, Scimitar was not designed with area rule and had straight fuselage. Moreover, it had thick wings. Because of these Scimitar was not supersonic. Probably a Avon 301/302 without reheater, good for 12,600 lbf was bolt on engine or an RB.106 without reheat again (14,000 lbf of thrust says in first link). Enlarged intakes would give it some area rule fuselage and with a modified thinner wings could probably reach mach 1.4, or 1,2 with original wings (its absolute speed in dive). I do not know if 1,2 machine is the design limit speed however. Think that some design of a thin wing Scimitar did exist. If J.Mitchell lived more, probably the aircraft for the OR which led to creation of Scimitar would need different. We will never know.

The question is if Supermarine Scimitar could be improved, in lets say Scimitar Mk2 follow on.

P.S Scimitar and Sea Vixen are my favorite Fleet Air Arm aircraft from 1950's.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: February 27th, 2017, 6:49 am
BTW does anyone know about the length of angled deck of Ark Royal carrier (Audacious Class), Hermes carrier and finally rebuilt Victorious?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: February 27th, 2017, 8:46 am
Blimey, that whatifmodellers discussion is a blast from the past, back then I was still an active member of that site under the nom de plume of Torndado. I'd forgotten all about that discussion but certainly the Scimitar has always had a place in my alt RN scenarios. Getting it supersonic would have involved a lot of work but I've always felt the Scimitar had lots of potential that was never realised due to the NA.39 Buccaneer programme and that the concept of a 'strike-fighter' seemed somewhat alien to the RAF and RN. All they wanted was something to lob Red Beard at a Soviet cruiser or harbour.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 16 of 16  [ 155 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 112 13 14 15 16

Jump to: