Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 16  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 916 »
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 21st, 2014, 4:16 pm
http://www.airvectors.net/aveeltg.html bit of info but not a lot.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 7:21 am
shippy2013 wrote:
http://www.airvectors.net/aveeltg.html bit of info but not a lot.
I have read this article in the past, but I read it again.Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 1:45 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Nope, because they have a common internal intake chamber where you're going to get all kinds of different pressure areas with the side intakes.
Excuse my ignorance, but would it be all that different to other aircraft with side intakes? I ask out of curiosity, this is something I haven't really put much thought into before now.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 8:24 pm
jabba wrote:
TimothyC wrote:
Nope, because they have a common internal intake chamber where you're going to get all kinds of different pressure areas with the side intakes.
Excuse my ignorance, but would it be all that different to other aircraft with side intakes? I ask out of curiosity, this is something I haven't really put much thought into before now.
Do do what you are suggesting (the ducting one side to one engine and the other side to the other) is possible, and isn't the problem. The issue is that the current configuration is designed with a single intake path, and further changes in the internal structure would have been needed even further redesigns, and that means even higher costs.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 8:48 pm
The Lighting was an "interim" fighter when introduced, according to http://www.airvectors.net/aveeltg.html. The question is, what would follow after the Lighting.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 9:02 pm
Back then the plan was nothing, SAMS.......

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 9:18 pm
This after the famous "White Paper" of 1957, one of them was Bomarc. But what if there was no White Paper? I am sure in "What if British aircraft" thread there several designs waiting.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 9:19 pm
It was a great shame TSR2 wasn't also considered to far along to cancel.....

But after lightning as an interceptor I think the Saunders Roe Sr53 (think that was the code) would have developed and that would have been interesting....

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 9:36 pm
The hybrid rocket interceptor? I've never really been sold on the concept. Given how fast jet engine performance was increasing at the time I suspect it would become obsolete very fast, and unlike a more conventional plane it could'nt really be retasked to other roles except high speed and altitude research.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 9:42 pm
This was the problem, also the larger SR.177 was built in the same philosophy.

Perhaps an RR Avon Mk200 series could be replace the Viper/DH Spectre combination, the SR.53 would have then 9,500 lbf of thrust. SR.177 needs at least 24,000lbf, choice is more difficult. And of course this mean more money into the concept.

Quickly, two links with several proposals. In one link the CF-105 Arrow is proposed, but here my motto is "Only British Aircraft", the Arrow is Canadian, so is rejected.

http://www.rp-one.net/f_155_t/fd_iii.html
http://www.rp-one.net/f_155_t/f155t.html

Another link, for what if Fairey Delta III:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?topic=12289.0

P.S Of course, if something is good, my AU can use it replacing other types of aircraft.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 16  [ 155 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 916 »

Jump to: