Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
LEUT_East
Post subject: The future HMAS Hobart taking shapePosted: May 18th, 2014, 5:22 am
Latest pics from Adelaide...

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: The future HMAS Hobart taking shapePosted: May 18th, 2014, 11:49 am
Looks like she'll be launched sometime late summer 2015

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: The future HMAS Hobart taking shapePosted: May 19th, 2014, 7:14 am
Makes me wish I was still in the RAN - she will be (budget permitting) an awesome lady.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: The future HMAS Hobart taking shapePosted: May 19th, 2014, 8:19 am
LEUT_East wrote:
she will be (budget permitting) an awesome lady.
if the budget is tight, then I bet on "armed for but not equipped with" just like what the shifty Norwegian did/do

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: The future HMAS Hobart taking shapePosted: May 19th, 2014, 3:52 pm
I hopefully we might even get a fourth one at the rate the new budget is allocating funds to defense like its a money fueled spaceship

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: The future HMAS Hobart taking shapePosted: May 19th, 2014, 10:39 pm
I'd rather they divert the funds from ordering the rubbish F-35s to something that's actually capable of replacing our F/A-18Cs with a role we'd actually use then put the rest into upgrading the Navy's equipment. Apparently the Collins are doing okay now but there's still plenty to do elsewhere. Then there's the matter of recruitment..

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: The future HMAS Hobart taking shapePosted: May 20th, 2014, 12:30 am
denodon wrote:
I'd rather they divert the funds from ordering the rubbish F-35s to something that's actually capable of replacing our F/A-18Cs with a role we'd actually use then put the rest into upgrading the Navy's equipment. Apparently the Collins are doing okay now but there's still plenty to do elsewhere. Then there's the matter of recruitment..
Sukhoi Su-30's...woo hop :D

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The future HMAS Hobart taking shapePosted: May 20th, 2014, 5:53 am
denodon wrote:
The F-35 has better sensors and endurance which makes it better at air policing. It has better range and higher payload which makes it better at the kind of air to ground missions we've seen in recent year. It's stealthy which means you don't have to fly nearly as many support sorties in order to carry out missions within enemy SAM coverage.
Unless you want to get out of the fast jet game entirely I'm not really sure what you'd choose as more useful.
LEUT_East wrote:
denodon wrote:
Sukhoi Su-30's...woo hop :D
The goal is to get airframes actually in the air within the next ten years right?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
nebnoswal
Post subject: Re: The future HMAS Hobart taking shapePosted: June 8th, 2014, 1:57 pm
What other choice is there? We committed to the F-35 about 1 day after the US, and have pumped a lot of cash into it ever since, and there is nothing else coming on the market, in the West in comparision. Sure Grippen, Typhoon and Rafeal are good now, but what about in next 10 years?
Do we need a 4th AWD? Yes, to bridge the valley of death, but for what other purpose? Same could be said for a 3rd LHD, and commit to an air wing of F-35Bs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Oberon_706
Post subject: Re: The future HMAS Hobart taking shapePosted: June 9th, 2014, 7:18 am
Re: the budget and defense procurement;

The DoD announcements regarding accelerated navy acquisition programs was interesting, particularly news that the future resupply ships won't be built in AUS (direct competition between DSME and Navantia), the coming conference with the Japs about tech sharing from the Soryu class subs, and this little chestnut re future frigates;
Quote:
"The Government has also agreed to bring forward preliminary design work to ensure Australia maintains the necessary capabilities to retain the option of building the future frigate in Australia. This work will focus on continued production of the current AWD hull, suitably adapted and utilising capabilities from the cutting-edge Australian companies CEA Technologies Australia and SAAB Combat Systems. Further decisions on the future frigate will be taken in the context of the 2015 Defence White Paper."
Does this mean we're going for an Australianised Fridtjof Nansen FFG now (with CEA radars and SAAB combat systems)? And where's our previous funding commitments to the type 26 design process in this decision?

Thoughts??

Cheers

[ img ]

DCFI (Falkland Islands) AU Nation

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: