Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
heuhen
Post subject: How to use Dropbox, updated 20.08.2014Posted: August 20th, 2014, 8:12 pm
This is an tutorial to Dropbox. There is two ways to get dropbox. one way is to have and folder created on you'r computer, the other way is using you'r web-browser.

for downloading the Dropbox installer for you'r computer, just google dropbox, and click the Download link, you need to download the installer to get the Public folder:
[ img ]

if you have problem with the public folder after this, then it might be because you'r dropbox public folder isn't enabled, to enable the folder as an public folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/4224

if that still doesn't help, then it might be you'r firewall, causing problem. you need to give the dropbox folder an access trough you'r firewall.

We can start off with this one:

In stead of I write how it should be done, this tutorial show it all. click the link!
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... /?ALLSTEPS

one thing it doesn't show is this:

Windows 7 (Note this computer have a different texture pack than other W7 Computer):

- on you'r computer open "windows Explorer"-folder, it should be down on the menu line:
[ img ]

- If you don't have it down ther, just open the "document"-folder:

[ img ]

- click on the dropbox icon:
[ img ]

- you should see this (except the US Carriers folder, that folder is for only a selected few person in SB to see what inside! sorry):

[ img ]

- you should have one folder called Photos, and one folder called Public.
- open public folder.
- you should see this one (not like mine, i have hundreds of drawing sin there..):
[ img ]

- Save you'r drawing in here, but remember to save it as an PNG file.

To upload the drawing to Shipbucket:

- select the drawing you have saved in you'r public folder, (I have saved min in a sub-folder inside the public folder):
- right click the drawing, left click on copy public link.

[ img ]

- go to that place you want it posted in shipbucket:
- right click, and left click past (on my computer it's "lim in": Norwegian for past)
- you should get an link like this one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/887 ... l/mon1.PNG
- now add the IMG tag around it.
- you should get this:

[ img ]

do it by using the web browser:

- go to dropbox.com

[ img ]

- click on "sign in" the text bellow of the big blue Sign up button.
- give it the necessary log in info.
- you should see this page now, her you have on folder called "Photos", but the folder you are going to use is the "Public".

[ img ]

- click on "Public":

[ img ]

- load up files by just left click on the upload icon at the top.
- in there you choose "choose files".
- mark that file you want to load up.
- click on open and the rest will the computer do.
- to get the public link for shipbucket, just right click the file and left click on: "copy public link".
- past it in to Shipbucket and add a IMG tag around it.

If people are using Windows 8, I can have a look at it to see if there is something different in that area.

Last edited by heuhen on October 8th, 2015, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: How to use Dropbox, updated 20.08.2014Posted: August 20th, 2014, 8:58 pm
Heuhen,

That is a very good tutorial if you have the 'old' version of Dropbox. Any new user to Dropbox using the 'new' version will not get it to work from your tutorial.

The screens are different. The information on the clipboard link is different.

Please read my post here: http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 2&start=20

and see if you can spot the differences that are required between old and new.

Nigel

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: How to use Dropbox, updated 20.08.2014Posted: August 20th, 2014, 9:38 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Heuhen,

That is a very good tutorial if you have the 'old' version of Dropbox. Any new user to Dropbox using the 'new' version will not get it to work from your tutorial.

The screens are different. The information on the clipboard link is different.

Please read my post here: http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 2&start=20

and see if you can spot the differences that are required between old and new.

Nigel
the update you are talking about have noting to say. take an screen shot so I can see how different you'rs are from what I see when I go to dropbox.com.

if you had gone trough my instructions and followed some of the links I tell you to visit, you will find a very special link.

...click on this link and magic happens with you'r dropbox account: https://www.dropbox.com/enable_public_folder

the dropbox folder on you'r computer would automatically update itself after some minutes now it should have the public folder, if not. log in to dropbox.com and see if there is an public folder in you'r web-browser there, if yes. re-install the dropbox folder.

this is for everybody.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: How to use Dropbox, updated 20.08.2014Posted: August 20th, 2014, 9:42 pm
what krakatao is pointing at is that it is possible to get this to work without enabling the public folder ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: How to use Dropbox, updated 20.08.2014Posted: August 20th, 2014, 10:20 pm
I clicked on the link that you provided in the Renown thread.

Clicked on the link to enable public folder in Dropbox, and surprise, surprise, they wanted money.

Being shy with my money, I can see no reason to pay them US$9.99 a month or US$90 a year for something I can get for free by manipulating a piece of text.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: How to use Dropbox, updated 20.08.2014Posted: August 20th, 2014, 10:46 pm
damn... Well I have to look further inn...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: