Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Cunardfan
Post subject: Board no longer sending emails to mePosted: June 12th, 2015, 7:42 pm
Quick question, any idea why the board is no longer sending emails to me, for things like private messages notifications and the like.
My email is not blocking the board, and my email account is working just fine, for whatever reason this board is sending them to my email.

Cunard Line Ascania (final 1950s configuration)
Cunard Line RMS Aquitania

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Board no longer sending emails to mePosted: June 12th, 2015, 11:02 pm
Your PM mail is probaly full. You want to remove old and unnecessary mail (means delete them) and than you can recieve the newer mails.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Cunardfan
Post subject: Re: Board no longer sending emails to mePosted: June 12th, 2015, 11:45 pm
Novice wrote:
Your PM mail is probaly full. You want to remove old and unnecessary mail (means delete them) and than you can recieve the newer mails.
I was also having issues with password reset emails not coming through either.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Board no longer sending emails to mePosted: June 13th, 2015, 5:50 am
Cunardfan wrote:
Quick question, any idea why the board is no longer sending emails to me, for things like private messages notifications and the like.
My email is not blocking the board, and my email account is working just fine, for whatever reason this board is sending them to my email.
If you are using Hotmail* as your provider, they are likely blocking them because of the way that phpbb spoofs email addresses when it sends out emails (hotmail knows when an email comes from their servers, and something from the board obviously wouldn't). I'd suggest double checking your spam folder, and add babajeliro_at_hotmail.com to your contacts list. If this doesn't fix it, then it is an issue for Golly to fix by changing the email the board sends from. Barring that, the only suggestion I'd have is to use a different provider.

* I know Golly uses a hotmail address for this purpose, and I've seen similar behavior with gmail and yahoo addresses used on other boards.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cunardfan
Post subject: Re: Board no longer sending emails to mePosted: June 13th, 2015, 7:01 am
TimothyC wrote:
Cunardfan wrote:
If you are using Hotmail* as your provider, they are likely blocking them because of the way that phpbb spoofs email addresses when it sends out emails (hotmail knows when an email comes from their servers, and something from the board obviously wouldn't). I'd suggest double checking your spam folder, and add babajeliro_at_hotmail.com to your contacts list. If this doesn't fix it, then it is an issue for Golly to fix by changing the email the board sends from. Barring that, the only suggestion I'd have is to use a different provider.

* I know Golly uses a hotmail address for this purpose, and I've seen similar behavior with gmail and yahoo addresses used on other boards.
Indeed it was a hotmail account, so I changed it to one my gmail account and seems to be working again. Adding babajeliro to my safe list but that didn't work. Which begs the question why does phpbb spoof email addresses if it just causes problems?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Board no longer sending emails to mePosted: June 13th, 2015, 2:11 pm
Cunardfan wrote:
Indeed it was a hotmail account, so I changed it to one my gmail account and seems to be working again.
I suspected as much, and I am glad it is working
Cunardfan wrote:
Adding babajeliro to my safe list but that didn't work.
Yeah, that was a long shot suggestion. Thank you for trying anyway.
Cunardfan wrote:
Which begs the question why does phpbb spoof email addresses if it just causes problems?
Because smaller boards sometimes don't have dedicated addresses to send emails from, and any email needs a value in the "from" field. In short, it is a hack that works better than any alternative, but one that could easily be avoided if Golly changed the email to something like registrations_at_shipbucket.com.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Board no longer sending emails to mePosted: June 13th, 2015, 2:19 pm
sofar I am rather certain that no one outside the SB staff cannot sneak into reading my own e-mail address, and since we actually have had security issues regarding unauthorised accesses to the SB's own e-mails, I unfortuanetly have to continue using the old one as long as Im 100% certain those past issues are fixed and corrected.

Also, since Im not that big fan of spam, I've edited this e-mail into non clickable form in posts made in here.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Board no longer sending emails to mePosted: June 13th, 2015, 2:35 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
so far I am rather certain that no one outside the SB staff cannot sneak into reading my own e-mail address, and since we actually have had security issues regarding unauthorized accesses to the SB's own e-mails, I unfortunately have to continue using the old one as long as Im 100% certain those past issues are fixed and corrected.
The emails that the board sends out don't even have to be from an account that actually exists, but it is bad form for that to be the case. Anything on the shipbucket domain should be safe however. Also, the security for your email (the hotmail one) is simply hotmail. Even when I was on the staff I could never see that one.
Gollevainen wrote:
Also, since I'm not that big fan of spam, I've edited this e-mail into non clickable form in posts made in here.
Fair enough.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Board no longer sending emails to mePosted: June 13th, 2015, 2:42 pm
Quote:
The emails that the board sends out don't even have to be from an account that actually exists, but it is bad form for that to be the case. Anything on the shipbucket domain should be safe however. Also, the security for your email (the hotmail one) is simply hotmail. Even when I was on the staff I could never see that one.
Once I have more time, I might toy around to set the e-mail system into something else, but sofar this has not been proplem that needs such attention.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Board no longer sending emails to mePosted: June 13th, 2015, 4:52 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
Once I have more time, I might toy around to set the e-mail system into something else, but so far this has not been problem that needs such attention.
:lol:

That's a good joke. This very thread is an example of it being a problem. It's a 30 second fix.

Admin Control Pannel > General Tab > Client Communicaiton Header > E-mail settings > Contact e-mail address.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: