Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: June 16th, 2016, 8:28 pm
Hi Colo,

As I'm sure I've stated elsewhere, I am a bit of a wiki noob, but one thing I have read of is the ability to block an account or class of accounts from making edits entirely or rate-limiting them ... could default users be stuck in "can't edit" until such time as they get bumped up to a higher-level group?

Do we care if some spambot is creating tens, hundreds or thousands of accounts if all they can do is rage silently on a talk page somewhere?

(the reason for not directly answering the question is the user creation log ... looks like about 30 accounts / hour being set up, so I'm not sure if even a group of people, unless they're effectively doing it full-time, will be able to keep up)

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: June 16th, 2016, 8:34 pm
OK, I have just made it where a sysop (admin) has to create all new accounts. Hopefully this will stop the ridiculous spam accounts being created. I am really surprised a tool like MediaWiki is so vulnerable!

Please post any requests for new accounts in this thread and I or Gollevainen will do so immediately.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: June 17th, 2016, 7:22 pm
OK seems the wiki is a lost cause. Even with account registration DISABLED the spam is still happening. I would advise everyone to save copies of your wiki articles as I will be deleting the Wiki in ONE WEEK.

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: June 17th, 2016, 10:05 pm
I'm sorry Colo, because that is a real shame matey. :(

I personally thought the wiki idea was a GREAT idea and I can't even begin to imagine your frustrations at the moment. :evil:

Andy.
:|

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: June 18th, 2016, 9:59 am
What a shame :( I really started to got into that thing. Is there any optional wiki sites we could use?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: June 18th, 2016, 4:52 pm
Agreed, it is a shame. Would it be possible to go ahead and delete the wiki as it is now, and then create a 'new' wiki, with the accounts being created by an sysop/admin from the start? Would that remove any possibilities of a 'hack' occurring with new account creation (like what is happening now)?

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: June 19th, 2016, 12:52 pm
Hey Ethan,

Co-incidentally, that's exactly what I suggested to Colo as well! Does this one count as "great minds think alike", do you think, or "fools seldom differ"? ;)

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: June 20th, 2016, 4:46 pm
Perhaps, but it's really just a case of how useful and awesome the wiki is. We have interest in it and would like to see it continue, so naturally we both suggested our thoughts and opinions.

Actually, let's go with the first. We're jeniuses! ;)

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: June 20th, 2016, 6:37 pm
I actually think user registration has stopped, but there were so many bogus accounts created while the registration page was available that the wiki is basically unusable due to the massive amount of spam. I'm surprised MediaWiki is so vulnerable (even with recaptcha enabled).

When the new server is stood up, I'll create a second SBWiki and restrict account creation to sysops (admins) only. That will mean that new accounts have to be manually created by an admin, but that's really not that big of a problem. I imagine we can promote a few guys who use the Wiki actively to help with that, as well as to be available to import templates, move/delete/protect pages, etc.

In the meantime, I've moved the SMSWorld stuff over to iiwiki.com (used for NS countries, but relatively fast and it has all the templates available...)

http://iiwiki.com/wiki/North_Point

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket WikiPosted: June 24th, 2016, 1:56 am
And like that, the Wiki is no more. :(

I will reinstall it when we move to the new server with the revamped site. In the meantime, my suggestion is to use http://iiwiki.com.

All the templates are available (like Template:Country data, Template:Infobox Country, etc) which make the articles way more interesting and better laid out.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: