Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: March 9th, 2017, 6:33 pm
I would not be sure if the 'Admirals Club' or any other way of showing who has donated and then conversely who has not contributed is a correct way to go.

Some members will be able financially to pay money toward the 'Shipbucket Project' others will not be in that position. Some may be on unemployment benefit and not have any spare cash. Should those people feel that they are under pressure to contribute to get into the Admirals Club?

Just the satisfaction of knowing you have contributed to this great project should be enough for everyone.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: March 9th, 2017, 7:15 pm
Almost every web forum on the internet that accepts donations gives its contributors some sort of title; we would be remiss not to do the same, if only as a courtesy to those who do choose to help us out. There is no pressure to donate to Shipbucket.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: March 9th, 2017, 7:51 pm
contributions doesen't need to be that big. Even one dollar or equalent, if only enough people makes them. Small drops forms an ocean when they are brougth together.

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: March 9th, 2017, 8:00 pm
Well, it seems I'm the first Admirals Club member in this forum :D A big surprise for me until I heard why that was created. I believe this is for earlier donation since I haven't donated anything yet in this round... But I will.
As Colo said, there is no obligation or pressure to donate. But to get better SB the donations are really needed.
I don't mind being coloured as red. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: March 9th, 2017, 9:08 pm
yea, at this point you kinda stand out from everyone ;)

But yeah, if there are other that used to contribute back in 2013, come fort if you feel wanting to join the club. Paypall doesent show me transactions before march 2014.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: March 10th, 2017, 1:35 am
Well, seeing as my download-all feature likely won't be coming, how about a sort uploads by date (so all of them approved after a particular date can be seen)?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: March 10th, 2017, 2:26 am
One of the metadata tags that will be associated with each drawing will be the "last revision date", and changing a query to sort ascending/descending is a basic SQL tenet, so that should be relatively simple.

Still, I'm not totally discounting the idea of a "save local copy" feature; I just want to get the baseline system built first. In fact I rather like the idea of a button that will generate a temporary (under 30 minutes) zip archive with every drawing in a filtered list, within reason. Really the only question our dev had was whether or not the system would be able to chug through generating a zip file of everything on the archive, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: March 11th, 2017, 12:38 am
Also, now that stuff is rolling, will Shipbucket be spun off into a non-profit, or will Golly/Colo be reporting the donations as income/gifts? I for one would like to know if I can consider it a donation to a non-profit for tax purposes. I've got a donation ready to go, but I'd like some clarification before I make an international money transfer.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: March 11th, 2017, 8:41 am
No. We are not going to register SB into anything, neither in US nor in Finland. In Both cases the office fees would be equalent 25% of the costs of the work we are collecting the donations in first place, and once again to do so statisfy a single members quirks is clearly unreasonable for the entire purpose of these donations.
Since the account is under my controll and with my name, we will follow the finnish law of regarding money collections of established hobbygroups. We have certain monetary goal to be achieved for the donation parts, and currently we are about half way there.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: March 13th, 2017, 7:06 pm
I know I'm repeating myself, but that's what I get for staying away from the board for weeks at a time: things happening!
Glad to see the project moving forward, and all the gladder to see the enthusiasm this shakes up.
I'll make sure to donate somehow once I'm through with my current financial transition, so in the meantime, a small question: is there a fixed deadline for donations so far?
Gollevainen wrote: *
Since the account is under my controll and with my name, we will follow the finnish law of regarding money collections of established hobbygroups. We have certain monetary goal to be achieved for the donation parts, and currently we are about half way there.
I for one would kind of like to see SB incorporated as a non-profit association, but it is mostly, as you say, a quirk, and in no way a requirement. I'd understand if the administrative fees and workload don't make it worth everyone's while, and that's not going to stop me from donating in any way.

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!
I can't wait to see the new upload/validation system and work myself into yet another design office data management system. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: