Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: May 1st, 2017, 3:36 pm
Yes, the way the drawings are displayed will likely change. The site design is just a Bootstrap/Laravel template that's been modified. We can basically do whatever we want with it.

The work up until now has been getting the basic system to work (and it does). Drawings are searchable. This test system is already many hundreds of times more powerful than the existing archive!

Stay tuned for more...

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: May 1st, 2017, 8:45 pm
Looks good to me.
One thing I would personally change is the order of the drawing information, to one that's "from general info towards detailed info": Category (real...) > Country > Type (cruiser...) > Class > Ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: May 1st, 2017, 9:15 pm
The new site does look better imo. I would like to see, maybe, a separate category for merchant ships, as there are now more in that category, and I would like to think that I will contribute more in that category.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: May 1st, 2017, 9:26 pm
Novice wrote: *
I would like to see, maybe, a separate category for merchant ships, as there are now more in that category, and I would like to think that I will contribute more in that category.
I think that the current list of categories is just temporary one, merely to show "something" in place, that's why I made no remarks about it.
Btw. Maybe it would be practical (or maybe not - just a loose idea) to make these categories for selection in the upper window more general (wide) - so instead of Aircraft Carriers (and by implication, separately Helicopter Carriers, Seaplane Carriers etc.) just Aviation Ships, not make separate minelayers and minesweepers but just mine warfare vessels etc., and detailed category would be just mentioned on the list of ships (search results)?

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: May 1st, 2017, 9:27 pm
There is merit in eswube's idea, i think.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website Coming SoonPosted: May 1st, 2017, 11:32 pm
All of this has been discussed in detail on the Discord server. ;)
Quote:
One thing I would personally change is the order of the drawing information, to one that's "from general info towards detailed info": Category (real...) > Country > Type (cruiser...) > Class > Ship.
Yes, the order and display of the table showing the drawings is extremely temporary. The finalized version will show thumbnails for various pre-configured views that will replicate what we have on the main archive.
Quote:
I think that the current list of categories is just temporary one, merely to show "something" in place, that's why I made no remarks about it.
This is correct.
Quote:
Btw. Maybe it would be practical (or maybe not - just a loose idea) to make these categories for selection in the upper window more general (wide) - so instead of Aircraft Carriers (and by implication, separately Helicopter Carriers, Seaplane Carriers etc.) just Aviation Ships, not make separate minelayers and minesweepers but just mine warfare vessels etc., and detailed category would be just mentioned on the list of ships (search results)?
We are implementing a "Sub Type" feature for each Class to enable more detailed specification.

For instance, the broad type "Aircraft Carrier" might have several different Sub-Types associate with it (Helicopter Carrier, Attack Carrier, etc).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7

Jump to: