Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 11th, 2017, 1:10 am
Our dev has just fixed the issues with Countries. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 11th, 2017, 5:14 am
Speaking of countries, what does the historical box mean in this context.
Historical as in an actual real country, or historical as in a country that no longer exists.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 11th, 2017, 5:49 am
Hi all, the new website is looking fine and is a massive improvement.

How difficult would it be to search drawings by artist?

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 11th, 2017, 12:45 pm
Neat. Registered.

Could the existing Classification System be reposted on this thread or made highly visible and Sticky? Might help with the reoganization.

Now, at the risk of exploding the Classification System:

Sailing Vessels classifications:

Might it be possible to expand the SV (Sailing Vessel) classification to differentiate Naval VS Merchant or maybe even things like steam-frigate, steam-sloop of war, 16 Gun Brig, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Rate, Baltimore Clipper, Cog, Extreme Clipper, Packet etc.? All very useful descriptors for about a thousand years of Maritime History.

If not in the Classification System, maybe as a searchable in one of the other sub-tagging Categories.

Could also help with the generic S.S. Xxxx ships (and equivalents).

A lot of the wierd stuff I draw doesn't cleanly fit the Classification System. Just a thought (or another coding headache).

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 11th, 2017, 2:41 pm
Registered here as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 11th, 2017, 2:41 pm
Thiel wrote: *
Speaking of countries, what does the historical box mean in this context.
Historical as in an actual real country, or historical as in a country that no longer exists.
The "historical" designation means it's a country that no longer exists. I intended it for things like the American Confederacy, Soviet Union, Imperial Japan, etc.
Charybdis wrote: *
How difficult would it be to search drawings by artist?
The advanced search and author profile pages have not been completed yet. The existing search on the Drawings page is a filter, more than anything. There will soon be a search function allowing you to search using any of the data available.
CraigH wrote: *
Could the existing Classification System be reposted on this thread or made highly visible and Sticky? Might help with the reoganization.

Now, at the risk of exploding the Classification System:

Sailing Vessels classifications:

Might it be possible to expand the SV (Sailing Vessel) classification to differentiate Naval VS Merchant or maybe even things like steam-frigate, steam-sloop of war, 16 Gun Brig, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Rate, Baltimore Clipper, Cog, Extreme Clipper, Packet etc.? All very useful descriptors for about a thousand years of Maritime History.

If not in the Classification System, maybe as a searchable in one of the other sub-tagging Categories.
Can you think of some broader "Types" that sufficiently describe all these smaller types? More detailed types can be described on each ship class entry. Obviously having a single broad "Sailing Ship" type is a little ridiculous.

So for instance, the USS Constitution would receive the broad type "Sailing Ship" (or whatever we decide), and the United States class entry would receive the detailed subtype "Sailing Frigate". Thoughts?

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 11th, 2017, 4:54 pm
Any database can be build for all (given) needs. This just means time and money to build that. If you'll have ideas to develop SB, I'm sure you'll have a reason to donate for it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 12th, 2017, 1:11 pm
Can't wait! Just wondering, How will Germany and Britain addressed? Imperial Germany (1871-1918), Weimar Germany (1918-1933), Third Reich (1933-1945) etc. the Kingdom of England, Kingdom of Scotland, and the various Principalites of Wales and Kingdoms of Ireland pre-annexation (in the case of Wales,) pre-union for Scotland and England and Ireland into the United Kingdom (the term Great Britain does not include Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom), or British Empire.

Oh, and just thought, would it be worth having a specification to go with the drawings?

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 12th, 2017, 2:23 pm
That's a good question Tempest.
At the moment its Great Britain, and as far as I know that label has been used on all SB drawings to date for British and Royal Naval vessels.

Ideally it should be United Kingdom but I think on balance sticking with Great Britain would be best as that's what all the drawings have on them. I'm not aware of any specific Welsh or Scottish ships on the bucket (perhaps one Scottish fisheries patrol ship?). I'm no expert on sail vessels pre-1707, but don't think we have that many if any currently drawn.

Germany is probably best addressed as Germany simply because of the overlap of ships between Imperial and Wiemar and Nazi Germany. Some did survive all three eras and its not as though the German Navy was a radically different service during those periods and had continuity rather than disbandment and reformation. I think the year labels on the ships will make things clear enough as to what period they fit within. Let's not try and over complicate the search functions!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 12th, 2017, 2:25 pm
Yeah agreed. What do you guys think about Imperial Japan?

The historical flag (to me) was meant for the specific use cases of the American Confederacy and Soviet Union. Anything else can probably be safely left simple.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: