Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 17th, 2017, 2:35 pm
Yes, I agree - I don't think we really need to differentiate between Imperial Germany, Weimar Germany, Prussia, etc...

I think the following cases should be recognized:

1. Confederate States of America / United States of America
2. Soviet Union / Russian Federation
3. Imperial Japan / Japan
4. Austria-Hungary / Austria

[Profile] [Quote]
HyperHiggsHelix
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 17th, 2017, 2:56 pm
Also, should there be subdivisions for ships? There are ships with mutiple images, so maybe there could be a link for a ship that leads to all the drawings of said ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 17th, 2017, 8:54 pm
HyperHiggsHelix wrote: *
Also, should there be subdivisions for ships? There are ships with mutiple images, so maybe there could be a link for a ship that leads to all the drawings of said ship.
Although it is an interesting idea, I think it is of no applicable use. In the search function, you'll get all the drawings of the same ship wether you search by type, or by name, if I understand the search function correctly, that is.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 17th, 2017, 9:17 pm
There will be custom views available to show "all drawings of ship XYZ".

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 17th, 2017, 9:27 pm
Frankly, I'm not sure how much the separation between Soviet Union and Russian Federation is really needed and practical, considering how big amount of the ships is the same.
If anything I'd be more into separating between pre-1917 era (Russian Empire) and post-1917 (USSR + RF).
(And really wouldn't have anything against keeping them ALL together)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 17th, 2017, 10:18 pm
OK! Sounds good to me. I definitely prefer any option that simplifies things. Let's keep Russia/Soviet Union together - if only because of the big overlap of their units.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 18th, 2017, 11:48 am
Hello everyone!

Now, I'd never dare to suggest that Nazi Germany and the Federal Republic are anything but totally identical in every respect. A respected head of state of an important NATO-member says so every other day, who am I to disagree. So, no need to differentiate between Nazi Germany and the Federal Republic, that's perfectly OK by me.

Now - I know, Shipbucket is no political forum, but just to enlighten me - could somebody explain to me the the difference in magnitude of discontinuity between Imperial Japan and Japan, compared to Nazi Germany and the Federal Republic of Germany?

Irony off, I think nations that pretty much retained their territorial shape and national flag and were not split up into different entities - like Japan - can be treated as one throughout their history. For USA/CSA, Soviet Union/Russia, Austria-Hungary/Austria, Yugoslavia/Serbia, North Vietnam/Vietnam etc. different entries make sense. For Japan IMHO they don't, even less so than for Germany.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 18th, 2017, 12:51 pm
True, although the structure of the JSDMF and IJN are totally different and there is little overlap in ships, there probably isn't much sense in separate entries as there is not going to be confusion of era when searching ships.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 18th, 2017, 1:23 pm
That was the angle I was thinking of when separating Imperial Japan from Japan - the big distinction between the JMSDF and IJN. But we can configure it however people want - it really doesn't matter to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 18th, 2017, 2:12 pm
A single entry for Japan might work fine as well: from the "vexillological" point of view, the Rising Sun Flag is the ensing on both IJN and JMSDF. And the Hinomaru (Japan's national flag) was adopted in 1870 and has been around even before that.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: