Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 12th, 2017, 7:28 pm
I guess that treating pre-1945 Germany as a single group is a reasonable option (though there's a question of Prussia and any other pre-1871 German states that could have navies), same with pre-1945 Japan.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 13th, 2017, 6:28 am
Nazi germany and Imperial japan could work for independent entinities, since their vessels almost 99% of cases didnt continue service in the other follow-on navies. Then again, in cases like Soviet Union, Yugoslavia the contiunity exists, so its mainly matter of how pedantic we want to be for the system to be consistent.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 13th, 2017, 8:20 am
That's my point - with both Germany and Japan there's a continuity of both shipbuilding and in political/legal terms up to 1945, when the statehood is "rebooted" (esp. for Germany) - so to me having them separated into pre-1945 and post-1945 makes complete sense.

As for the Imperial Russia/Soviet Union (incl. Soviet Russia 1917-1922)/Russian Federation - there's arguable political continuity between imperial and soviet state but rather obvious continuity between soviet and current form of statehood, but there's undeniable continuity of "ship use" between all of them (which is what matters for us most), so personally, while I don't mind having separate folder for each period of these (for a total of three), I would be even more for having common "Russia/Soviet Union" one (with custom flag made of half Russian/half Soviet parts).

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 13th, 2017, 8:44 am
Indeed.

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 14th, 2017, 12:54 am
I'm feeling like a complete Luddite this weekend.

Took a look at the new upload page on the Test Site.

Within the Tab "Create New Record" we have the Tab "File".

The Questions:
1) Can the drawings be loaded directly from our computers at home or do they still require some other host.
2) Is it possible to dump the existing Shipbucket Archive into the new site and have us locate our drawings and do the needed data entry work? If possible it could avoid #3 below.

Ooorrrr...

3) Approach us individually and grant us access to the existing Archive and have us move our drawings over. Potentially scary, yes indeed.

In my case, I'd rather not risk shipping in a corrupt Photobucket drawing to the new Site. I'd like to just shut my account down but there are illustrations in too many threads.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 14th, 2017, 9:22 am
You raise a good point CraigH, how should we proceed with the uploading.

I shall probably go through the RN ships I have saved on my own files and then fill the gaps with what's on the SB archive to save me having to download everything to re upload it.

However, I will make a start on my own works and those of the Old Grey Funnel Line Faction no longer with us (Portsmouth Bill, Bombhead et al). For now I'm assuming any RN ships that active members (e.g. Darth, Novice, GD, CraigH etc.) have drawn will be uploaded by themselves. Feel free to PM me if you want me to add your RN works. I just don't want to duplicate work and waste anyone's time.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 14th, 2017, 9:35 am
If you people are willing to participate in the bulk uploading process, just give hint to me or coloseum, so you will be invited to the process and its Private forum

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 14th, 2017, 9:52 am
@CraigH, Hood, Gollevainen
At the moment I already (yesterday) started uploading stuff for Polish folder (regardless of who's the Author), later I will add my works for other folders and thereafter I am ok to do at least some other folders.
That said, I think it wouldn't be too practical only to rely on individual (active) members to upload all their stuff.
IMHO, it would be simpler - also for sake of keeping certain consistency with naming of files and all other relevant information that's being typed into the system during upload - if any given "national folder" was dealt with by (mostly) one person (especially if said person authored most of the work in it).

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 14th, 2017, 3:47 pm
Hi everyone!

I hope nobody takes offence if I limit myself to uploading my own stuff. Doing the whole German and French folders would be a little too much...

Besides, I'd like to edit some of the older drawings to bring them up to date, and maybe discard some which are beyond salvage and warrant a re-draw.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Shipbucket Website at 50% CompletionPosted: May 14th, 2017, 8:36 pm
Yes, please upload whatever you feel comfortable with - getting everything loaded will be a big project that will take us a lot of time but there is quite literally no rush. ;)
CraigH wrote: *

The Questions:
1) Can the drawings be loaded directly from our computers at home or do they still require some other host.
2) Is it possible to dump the existing Shipbucket Archive into the new site and have us locate our drawings and do the needed data entry work? If possible it could avoid #3 below.

Ooorrrr...

3) Approach us individually and grant us access to the existing Archive and have us move our drawings over. Potentially scary, yes indeed.
The system is designed to replace Photobucket by allowing you to upload directly from your computer into the web form and thus onto the Shipbucket server - this is why you can pick a file from your local machine. ;)

Re: question 2, no. All drawings will need to be loaded into the new system and have associated "ship" and "class" entries created to correspond.

Re: question 3, if you are interested, PM me and I will grant you access to the private subforum we are using to coordinate the uploading. This goes for everyone else too.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: