Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
BlitzFromBehind
Post subject: Big Ships...Posted: June 2nd, 2017, 8:33 pm
So I really wanna know SBs opinion on ships that excess 300m. Not talking about some DeviantArt style 1 klick long ones but just those around 400-500 that are not carriers.
I have a project that is like a crossbreed of battle-cruiser and light carrier (Kiev class and Kreml class) with the space to carry helicopters and VTOLs and enough firepower to rival the biggest and baddest modern battlecruisers.

Will post WIP once in that stage.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Big Ships...Posted: June 2nd, 2017, 9:21 pm
Post it, I'm interested.

[Profile] [Quote]
BlitzFromBehind
Post subject: Re: Big Ships...Posted: June 2nd, 2017, 10:19 pm
[ img ]

The current stage with most of the superstructure being a placeholder with a multiple parts being "borrowed" for that use to get the general gist of the shape.
The aft below waterline is also a placeholder as I'm trying to figure how to make it look like a proper trimaran and I can't seem to get the bow quite as I want it to look like. As a bonus a prototype railgun above the aft flight deck.

Pretty much everything forwards of the aft deck is a subject to change as I'm still trying to nail the aesthetic of the ship so that it will look like it could actually exist.

Now then for the actual design. Starting from the rear we have a flight deck with elevators on both sides to get anything and everything that flies from the hangar up to the deck. We also have a rear door/ramp/whatever the real term is for deploying the naval infantry units for coastal assaults and landings.
The rear "island" is mostly a C&C center for aviation and landing operations and anything in between. So in essentiality it handles everything outside the ship.
Then there is an elevator on both sides in the middle where the secondary hangar is located and this is used mostly for the VTOLs (cuz durr) and/or heavy troop/cargo helos.
The primary "island" is the brains, brawn and looks of the ship as it is where all the magic happens. The bridge, the C&C for it's armament, radars and sensor are all operated from somewhere within here.
The front deck will most likely be stuffed with VLS systems ranging fron your regular SSM/SAM missiles to nuclesar capable launchers, much like the Russian/Soviet Kirov class battlecruisers.

The main armament will be the railguns which I'm yet to decide 4 per side or 2 along with the massive VLS ordnance it carries. It in it's current state has 8x Kashtan CIWS for any nasty buggers that get close.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Big Ships...Posted: June 3rd, 2017, 1:55 am
I won't say the design makes sense overall, but it's a well-executed drawing. i think you've done a pretty good job of blending the various aesthetics of the different designs. And at small scales, things are reasonably well thought out - you don't have random hatches to nowhere, phased arrays with only beam coverage, and annoying problems like that. It's more a problem of structures (very shallow hull), systems engineering and integration, and value for the money.

My very first efforts failed utterly on all of these accounts and were ugly to boot.

I will note that we take credits pretty seriously here, and it is mandatory in this forum that authors from whom you've kitbashed large chunks (e.g., that whole aft superstructure block) be credited as contributors on the drawing itself.

[Profile] [Quote]
BlitzFromBehind
Post subject: Re: Big Ships...Posted: June 3rd, 2017, 4:13 am
Oh I know that and I've seen the what happens to those that do not. By no means I am claiming that the above picture is 100% made by my hand. I like to use finished parts for placeholders since that way it's easier for me to design (poorly I must add) the rest of the ship.

And thanks for the feedback. I've realised the shallowness as well (when I compared it to an actual LHD. The main inspiration by the way comes from the Myrmidon fron HAWX with a few or not so few artistic freedoms.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Big Ships...Posted: June 3rd, 2017, 3:51 pm
Cool stuff. The issue with credits is a big one, even for unfinished work (as someone may see this thread and take your WIP without realizing it's a WIP). Best practice is to keep the credit line at all times especially when posting in public.

[Profile] [Quote]
BlitzFromBehind
Post subject: Re: Big Ships...Posted: June 3rd, 2017, 4:05 pm
Thanks for the advice and I'll keep that in mind!

[Profile] [Quote]
SvenErik
Post subject: Re: Big Ships...Posted: June 20th, 2017, 4:09 am
Intimidating to say the least. I assume its propulsion system is still in the 'design phase'.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Big Ships...Posted: June 22nd, 2017, 5:03 pm
I would be interested to ask why the middle and stern hangars are not connected and at the same level?

With a trimaran hull would the rear area not be very wide all the way back with only a narrow rear island (to starboard from the drawing?) so why would they not connect both decks at the same level to provide redundancy and more options?

[Profile] [Quote]
Phillip8
Post subject: Re: Big Ships...Posted: October 1st, 2017, 3:06 am
Hmm, I am interested in this topic.

Last edited by Phillip8 on October 14th, 2017, 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: