Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 8  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8
Novice
Post subject: Re: Practical Nuclear Merchant VesselPosted: January 6th, 2018, 10:19 pm
I like the look of this beast, a very credible looking vessel. I'll like to add that as far as my knowledge goes, a nuclear vessel is always steam propelled, so an auxiliary "get me home" diesel engine is likely.
I also join erik_t remerks about the vacant looking superstructure block, especially when considering that the life boat and rafts are on those levels without any access doors or hatches.
That aside I like this drawing very much :)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Practical Nuclear Merchant VesselPosted: January 6th, 2018, 10:21 pm
All these sounds reasonable to me also. Personally prefer nuclear-electric propulsion. Note that nuclear submarines (British, French and US) do have auxiliary diesel engine.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Practical Nuclear Merchant VesselPosted: January 6th, 2018, 10:22 pm
Steam turbine is actually more common, only French nuclear submarines are nuclear-electric.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Practical Nuclear Merchant VesselPosted: January 6th, 2018, 11:00 pm
I can address these concerns more fully when I'm not on my phone, but most of my design choices come from either ultra-high-res images of real container ships (e.g. Mærsk Triple-E, OOCL Hong Kong/Germany, CSCL Globe, etc.) or SB drawings of the same (e.g. ALVAMA's Mærsk McKinney-Møller).

A lot of your concerns about the superstructure can be explained by the fact that a section of it is actually sloped (notice the lighter color). Nevertheless, I'm not necessarily married to that idea, but saw it on other designs and was sort of improvising when it came time to do the heavy detailing.

I am, however, a bit married to the superstructure's position from a line-of-sight perspective, and some folks from an old thread about a similar concept recommended putting the reactor in the vicinity of the 200-meter mark for a 400m design. It can be hard to iron out some of these details with more experienced bucketeers when we're not collaborating in real time.

I did keep a false-color blank around and can upload it if folks want to mess around with some details (particularly those that are difficult to put in words).

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Practical Nuclear Merchant VesselPosted: January 8th, 2018, 6:46 am
New thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8205

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 8  [ 75 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8

Jump to: