Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 10th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Attachment:
d110207ge1017.jpg
One word. IRLFAS.
*Yes thats onboard of my ship, lucky i wasnt the streamer of the irlfas. It was cold there*

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 12th, 2011, 4:48 pm
Quote:
Railguns would be in service, possibly FELs as well. So you'll need to take those into account when designing.
I don't think so. Both systems require advances in materials science that would not necessarily be accelerated by the CW continuing. A weaponised FEL is still some time away - solid state lasers such as fibre lasers are those that are closest for deployment in a CIWS role.

More realistic would be the active radar and AGS for the DDG-1000 having been deployed on more conventional designs.

- RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 12th, 2011, 4:52 pm
why the AGS? that is mainly an shore bombardement thing, right, and as far as I know that would not really be needed in a cold war scenario.... correct me if I'm wrong.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 12th, 2011, 5:49 pm
The specifications for the AGS, and the entire DDX program for that matter, were written during the Cold War

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 12th, 2011, 6:25 pm
Thiel wrote:
The specifications for the AGS, and the entire DDX program for that matter, were written during the Cold War
really? so it is coincedence it fits so perfect in the new 'littoral' combat environment? :O never knew that.....

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 12th, 2011, 8:03 pm
My guess is that if anything is accelerated it would be the development of UxV swarms, although the mass deployment of those is somewhat limited by the development of low cost computer hardware, which happens with an extended cold war or not.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 13th, 2011, 10:06 am
Ace, you'll probably find they told everyone it fitted in with the new littoral combat environment to justfiy its continued existence!
In Britain we weren't so canny in finding a new role and name and they chopped the fleet opinioning that the world was now safe... until Sadamn invaded Kuwait. Then it was an embrassing about-face.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 13th, 2011, 11:44 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
Thiel wrote:
really? so it is coincedence it fits so perfect in the new 'littoral' combat environment? :O never knew that.....
'Cold War' and 'littoral' are not mutually exclusive. Not as if there are a lot of marine landings 1000nmi from shore that require NGFS.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 14th, 2011, 5:06 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
Thiel wrote:
Not the only thing that took so long to develop.
Lasers started also in cold war.
NH-90, year 90's...
And dont forget! APAR...

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: