Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Vossiej
Post subject: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WarPosted: March 9th, 2011, 11:33 am
Yes you get it, for my AU I need to design some ships, that would have been sailing the world's oceans today if the Cold War had still been running, and did not stop in 1991. I am looking for interesting concepts from the period 1980-2000 that were never built because of whatever reason, and combining those with present day technology, or even tomorrows technology.

I am particularly looking for designs that include carriers, and everything surrounding the carrier concept, strategic ships, LHDs/LHAs and corvettes. I got the main warship (LPD/FFG/DDG) area covered pretty well, but I am always looking to some more interesting things.

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 9th, 2011, 12:31 pm
Railguns would be in service, possibly FELs as well. So you'll need to take those into account when designing.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 9th, 2011, 1:29 pm
Ok, what are FELs exactly?

Now a question for the more expert members on ship design, how about a strategic support ship, that could function as an LHD, as well as a carrier for both STOVL and CATOBAR aircraft? Something like an enlarged Canberra class LHD (300m, 40.000-50.000 tons) that is fitted with a angled deck, and a ski-jump for STOVL aircraft. For instance it could carry a mixed variety of 18x F/A-18 Super Hornets, 18x F-35C Lightning II, 18x F-35B Lightning II, 12 NH90/MH-60 eg. Or just all F/A-18s, helicopters or F-35s. Than of course if would also carry landing crafts and other equipment.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 9th, 2011, 1:33 pm
I also think that there would be more interest in stealthy aircraft carriers...

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 9th, 2011, 2:08 pm
FEL: Free Electron Laser, it's considered the holy grail of DEWs as you can set it to the optimum frequency to go through the atmosphere without losing strength. The DoD has recently asked for proposal for a deployable version of the FEL.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Vossiej wrote:
Now a question for the more expert members on ship design, how about a strategic support ship, that could function as an LHD, as well as a carrier for both STOVL and CATOBAR aircraft? Something like an enlarged Canberra class LHD (300m, 40.000-50.000 tons) that is fitted with a angled deck, and a ski-jump for STOVL aircraft. For instance it could carry a mixed variety of 18x F/A-18 Super Hornets, 18x F-35C Lightning II, 18x F-35B Lightning II, 12 NH90/MH-60 eg. Or just all F/A-18s, helicopters or F-35s. Than of course if would also carry landing crafts and other equipment.
Waste of resources. It won't be as good a carrier as a dedicated carrier, and it won't be as good an LPD as a dedicated one.
Besides, if the need is there, a normal carrier is perfectly capable of playing LPH if it needs to. Throw some temporary housing into the hangar and load it up with Ospreys and heloes and you're set to go.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 9th, 2011, 2:32 pm
Ah OK.

So I got several options for high energy weapons, stealthy aircraft carriers. Any ideas or concepts about missile systems?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 9th, 2011, 2:33 pm
I suppose AA missiles would be similar to what we have now, as the air threath is just as high as it was during the cold war.......
for antiship and so on, I suppose the NAVO would have build anticarrier missiles, as the soviets would be a lot further with their carrier program.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 9th, 2011, 9:29 pm
Vossiej wrote:
Yes you get it, for my AU I need to design some ships, that would have been sailing the world's oceans today if the Cold War had still been running, and did not stop in 1991. I am looking for interesting concepts from the period 1980-2000 that were never built because of whatever reason, and combining those with present day technology, or even tomorrows technology.

I am particularly looking for designs that include carriers, and everything surrounding the carrier concept, strategic ships, LHDs/LHAs and corvettes. I got the main warship (LPD/FFG/DDG) area covered pretty well, but I am always looking to some more interesting things.
French early 1990's LHD/LHA never were design (intermediate design between the late 1980's TCD design and the mid 2000's now famous Mistral LHD's)

Mid LHA/LHD and light STVOL carrier design

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Designing a ship in 2011 with another 20 years of Cold WPosted: March 9th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Very interesting, thank you Colombamike.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: