Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 8th, 2013, 8:17 pm
@Novice
Actually, I think that quite a lot (if not majority, or even all) sail ships in the archive have the sails outlined not in black.
Of course using black for other elements You've mentioned is indeed mandatory.

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 9th, 2013, 1:24 pm
Began outlining bits in black.
[ img ]

I've been studying more Shipbucket sails, and highly prefer non-black outlined examples so, I'll keep them as they are.

The stern windows pose a problem. The light color in the attached image above and between the upper edges of the windows represents decorative gilding. There's not enough blue glazing to do any outlining without loosing the gilding. A small historical note, the stern windows were decorative, non-functional, fashion pieces. Dummy windows as it were.

Looking for suggestions on cleaning up the bowsprit. Near as I can tell I'll have a hard time smoothing the stepped top edge.

I'll need to address the copper bottom soon as the "graded shading" appears to be verboten and non-Shipbucket standard. A shame as it looks doable in MS Paint if given time by a truly OCD person.

That being said, it will impact the sails and upper hull too.

Thanks for the input so far.
Craig

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 9th, 2013, 9:00 pm
A very fine entry to SB drawing Craig. 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 10th, 2013, 12:49 pm
May I suggest a double solution; one CSS Alabama as she is now for Personal Designs, and one with the mentioned changes for SB Real Designs ;)
Then we all can enjoy a great drawing for the archive and the personal creative edition too!
BTW, welcome aboard and a great drawing :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 10th, 2013, 8:18 pm
If the windows are painted on, you could do them in the color of paint that they were done it.
She looks good, it's always a pleasure to see a sailing ship on the bucket. :)

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 12th, 2013, 9:33 pm
Bombhead: Thanks!

Kim: Didn't occur to me that one could save the two versions...within the framework of the SB world. Such the newbie. To that end I'm doing just that! Thanks!

Raxar: Digging out 2 reference books I've got regarding the Alabama tonight that should answer the window question. Will cite in a later posting. I'm pretty sure the windows were glazed but for the life of me I don't recall penetrations in the hull or framing. The inside surfaces may have been flag lockers.

Hoping to have a revision this evening that will warrant deep scrutiny by you folks for final edit.

Thanks all!

Craig

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 13th, 2013, 4:26 am
I mentioned source materials earlier. I’ve two primary sources and odds and ends found on-line.
The most useful would be CSS Alabama, Anatomy of a Confederate Raider by Andrew Bowcock. Naval Institute Press 2002 ISBN 1-55750-003-7. This books organized and researched like the old Anatomy of the Ship series. Packed full of drawings, original, and tracings of the archived primary source documents.

The other hardcopy source I’ve had around for years is Memoirs of Service Afloat, During the War Between the States. by the ship’s commander Raphael Semmes. It’s not packed full of technical details but what it does have sheds amazing light on the vessel. It’s primarily a recounting of his personal logs during the Civil War, day to day stuff and seemingly endless dissertations on science, politics, and why the South tried parting ways from the Southern view. That’s actually very good reading and goes against what we were taught in school here in the U.S., which is primarily the Northern (Union) perspective. You should hear the sanitized politically correct version they teach kids these days…Orwellian revisionism at it’s worst.

A question I’d hoped to resolve was the stern windows. They were definitely dummied in and did not penetrate the hull. Glazed or painted wasn’t directly answered, and on the earliest models they were painted. No clue regarding color in the black and white half toned images. Two on deck photos looking aft clearly show that there were gun-ports on the aft quarters for chase guns. The outer faces of the ports would have been hidden by the windows and decorations. The remaining interior face deck edges were lined with lockers and the propeller lifting gear.

The prop could be uncoupled from the shaft and raised out of the water into a well to reduce drag while under sail. A common feature for early auxiliary steamers.

What else is of interest? Built by Laird, hull No. 290. The sail plan as drawn here is as designed by them, I’m assuming British practice. Judging by period paintings (at least the ones cited as being reliable by today’s curators) the Gaff Topsail may have changed and there’s the possibility of Royals on the Fore and Main masts (lubbers can mentally add another sail to the tippy-top of the front masts). Not many of the paintings have this feature.

There was also the hardware to add Studding Sails to the Fore Mast. That’s a lot more canvas to clutter the drawing with.

So, here’s the current drawing, which I’m hoping is close to Shipbucket standards. I’d appreciate folks time to tear it apart, critique, and supply a flogging. I’d like to try for one last edit.
[ img ]
Removed the graded shading to sails, upper, and lower hull.

Cheers and Thanks!
Craig

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 13th, 2013, 5:07 am
It's a big improvement, but the graded shading has to go from the entire drawing.
You've struck a nice balance with the rigging though. You might consider showing the stiching in the sails.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 13th, 2013, 6:39 am
yes, the boats and funnel must loose the gradient shading as well. but! to stop the drawing from looking flat you might put some sb style shading on the underwater hull, I personally draw every part that is less then 45 degrees curved from the flat an slightly darker shade.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: C.S.S. Alabama (1862)Posted: September 13th, 2013, 9:30 am
A fine entry to SB! Welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: