Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jurten
Post subject: IRIN MoravidPosted: February 19th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Recently Iran is sending navy ships on a goodwill voyage to the Atlantic Ocean and along the US coast. The vessels chosen are rather small for such a venture, so I volunteered preliminary design consultations on something more suitable.

Iranian naval history and philosophy, indigenous/legacy technology and the effects of embargoes make an interesting exercise when trying to put together a credible Iranian expeditionary cruiser design.

[ img ]

Accompanying notes:
Alternate Universe:

EDIT: specs changed to reflect latest image (not this one)

IRIN Moravid (CG)
Displacement: 16,000 tonnes
Length overall: 210 m
Draft: Clearance: 7.6m, displacement draft 5.3m
Beam: 30m at helideck, 23m at waterline

Crew 300 (50 Officers)

Armament:
64x 3M54/YJ-18 Klub VLS Chinese pattern with multipack and S-300PMU with navalised 30N6E2 Aquisition radar
6x AK630 CIWS
3x HQ-7 Shahab Thaqeb (FM-80/Crotale) ADS launcher, 24 missiles, 2 fire directors
Crane and large central storage for special duties, Intermodal container x50 framespace x40 capacity
Torpedo decoy launcher (WASS-C310)
Soft kill chaff/flare decoy system
Satcom dish in central dome, EO/IR.

4x 9.6m RIB on davits
2x Harbin Z9 helicopters for AWACs/strike/ASW/C3, provision for SH-3
Bavar-2 WIG reconnaissance

Propulsion:
2x Wartsila 16v38 11,600kw/15,555hp cruise diesels through shared gearbox
2x Zorya DN80/QC280 turbines 24MW/32,200hp
2 shafts fixed, total 90,000hp

8000 tonnes light oil or aviation fuel

Copyright - I find it difficult and annoying to carry prior credit over on drawings. My aim has been to remove residual copyright through the "transformative derivative" fair use path. At this point there should not be, but, if someone sees something they think is not transformed enough speak up and I'll rework it some more. While I have originally drawn from other ships most parts have obviously been rescaled and retouched, and ALL have been through colour degradation. At the moment the drawing is not up to shipbucket standard partly for this reason - WIP.

Regarding WIP, priority is to develop a top view, weights and internal studies, estimate speeds, engine fitting and stores, which is different from shipbucket's general direction. So WIP might be for a long time and other slightly off-topic drawings may turn up. Has anyone got a top view drawing of a Dauphin/Z9?

Edited details that changed (or were wrong - HJ-8 was interesting but - nope)

Last edited by Jurten on March 10th, 2014, 6:49 am, edited 6 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: IRIN MoravidPosted: February 19th, 2014, 4:30 pm
First, welcome aboard.
Jurten wrote:
Copyright - I find it difficult and annoying to carry prior credit over on drawings. My aim has been to remove residual copyright through the "transformative derivative" fair use path. At this point there should not be, but, if someone sees something they think is not transformed enough speak up and I'll rework it some more. While I have originally drawn from other ships most parts have obviously been rescaled and retouched, and ALL have been through colour degradation. At the moment the drawing is not up to shipbucket standard partly for this reason - WIP.
Second, Congradulations, you've missed the entire point of the crediting scheme. While small, individual parts don't have to be credited, your attempt to avoid following the rules is exceptionally irritating. As well, you'll likely find it easier to produce something of higher quality if you just don't try to avoid the rules - right now there is not a single part of that drawing that doesn't need an art pass to come remotely close to standard.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: IRIN MoravidPosted: February 19th, 2014, 4:43 pm
Quote:
Copyright - I find it difficult and annoying to carry prior credit over on drawings.
I hate to be rude to a new guy, but if this is your attitude then I don't think Shipbucket is the right place for you. This forum/site's foundation is the modular and standardized drawing style we accomplish via crediting.

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: IRIN MoravidPosted: February 19th, 2014, 5:14 pm
I think this is a joke or a troll, look at how he worded it and how Iran claims not to violate Copyright.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: IRIN MoravidPosted: February 19th, 2014, 5:26 pm
Well anyway, if you are interested in drawing Shipbucket style ships, this is a genuinely helpful forum where you will find great advice - all I ask is that you leave the "anti-crediting" idea at the door. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: IRIN MoravidPosted: February 20th, 2014, 7:01 am
Dude, just follow the rules.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: IRIN MoravidPosted: February 20th, 2014, 7:48 am
I just want to point out that even though it has S-300 and Klub and all that stuff you think is cool this ship would still get totally owned by almost any USN warship currently in service.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: IRIN MoravidPosted: February 20th, 2014, 8:15 am
Welcome to the Shipbucket!
As has been already said - it would be better if You stick to the crediting/copyright rules. ;)
Speaking of the design itself, while could be, perhaps, considered an interesting thought experiment, in reality it wouldn't be a practical idea, esp. for a country like Iran (not due to reasons connected to Iran as such, but rather to possible combat environment in which such ship would have to operate - as Klagldsf pointed out).

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: IRIN MoravidPosted: February 20th, 2014, 8:54 am
Welcome to Shipbucket! The ship looks interesting, try to do it in proper SB-scale.

However, the dimensions are not correct. A cruiser 210m long should have beam between 20 to 22m, not 30m. The beam you have is for other types of ships. Also your draft is too shallow. It should be at least 6-7m at hull. Iran could have Harbin Z-9 helicopters, but also has Bell 214 and SH-3, so the cruiser should also accommodate these helicopters.

Weaponry looks plausible to me, but use the correct directors and radars for them. You may need to add a gun (an AU Iranian copy of the British Mk8-Alvand Class or that from Type 051C destroyer). The Chinese Crotale is wrong direction.

But there is something I like in this ship : The Bavar-2 WIG launching system. Very cool idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
Jurten
Post subject: Re: IRIN MoravidPosted: February 20th, 2014, 2:09 pm
odysseus1980 wrote:
Welcome to Shipbucket! The ship looks interesting, try to do it in proper SB-scale.

However, the dimensions are not correct. A cruiser 210m long should have beam between 20 to 22m, not 30m. The beam you have is for other types of ships. Also your draft is too shallow. It should be at least 6-7m at hull. Iran could have Harbin Z-9 helicopters, but also has Bell 214 and SH-3, so the cruiser should also accommodate these helicopters.

Weaponry looks plausible to me, but use the correct directors and radars for them. You may need to add a gun (an AU Iranian copy of the British Mk8-Alvand Class or that from Type 051C destroyer). The Chinese Crotale is wrong direction.

But there is something I like in this ship : The Bavar-2 WIG launching system. Very cool idea.
The beam is wrong. Maybe 30 meters at the helideck. But she is still going to be fat and shallow drafted and a relatively slow (underpowered, heavy, big stores - draft varies) long-distance cruiser. Not classic warship profile but more of a support ship/base. A lot of the gulf is very shallow particularly around Queshm island and I was getting over 12 meters for some estimates (calculate equivalent fast cargo with a front dome) which is no good.

Not keen on guns, really a ship like this should never be in contact except defensively. I liked the idea of backup short range air defence that isn't taking up long range S-300 VLS slots. The radars are reasonably correct (fire control radars), apart from the secondary surveillance one on the rear pole which is not at all .. yeah.. not correct.

I'll see if i can part the Bavar 2 on the free license thing. Its coloured! And the scale is right.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Return to โ€œBeginners Onlyโ€ | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: