Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 22  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 622 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 29th, 2014, 3:17 pm
Can I give you my take on a Falkland Island guard ship (or ships) using a rebuilt type 41 (as a FI OPV with stuff mainly from a type 21).
[ img ]

Still has Sea Wolf / Exocet / 4.5
+ much cheaper and newer hull
- slow, no towed array, no hangar only a pad.
Overall not as useful as your ship but will still be sufficient to guard a fixed point near a friendly base such as the Falkland islands.

PS I like your RAN Storm Grey paint job,
JSB

Edited for new credits

Last edited by JSB on May 29th, 2014, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 29th, 2014, 4:12 pm
Hmmm...interesting...where do I feature in the above drawing? in other words, why am I being credited...?

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 29th, 2014, 4:51 pm
Err :oops:

Well I started with Bombhead's Lynx,
then added stuff from Oberon_706's ship,
I used your type 22 masts (I thought this might be considered more than just a part so included you in the credits,
I then swapped them for type 21 ones by you and Mihoshik,
I decided to cut costs by staying closer to the type 41's old ones,
I got :? and forgot to remove you from them :oops: sorry will remove you (I think I'm just using parts now apart from Bombheads hull now ?).

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 29th, 2014, 4:56 pm
interesting to use an AA frigate (type 41) as an multirole ship focused on ASuW

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 29th, 2014, 5:06 pm
oh when drawing a ship with no hangar, then the helicopter should be hovering.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 29th, 2014, 5:25 pm
interesting to use an AA frigate (type 41) as an multirole ship focused on ASuW
1) Just wanted a 'free' (things that are being sold off/obsolete) cheap to run hull (small /diesels) a type 61 would be just as good.
You could use a 12/12m/12L but this would be faster and more expensive to operate or a 81 but they where designed for calm waters or a 14 but they are very small. (but 2/3 would still be sufficient to deter the Argentinians and very cheap)
2) I was thinking it was balanced with ASuW (Exocet/4.5 ) AA(Sea Wolf) ASW(still has Limbo under the pad, I could swap for a set of torpedo's, Mk 32 SVTT ? and land based Helicopters working with it).
with no hangar, then the helicopter should be hovering.
ok will change it.

JSB

Last edited by JSB on May 29th, 2014, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 29th, 2014, 5:28 pm
Hahaha...well, JSB, I'm flattered, but any such parts are free to use - heck, use it but modify it according to your needs! - That way you'll "own" it! ;) :D

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 29th, 2014, 5:49 pm
How big a part can you use before you should credit ?
Just interested I get that using a turret is ok but would you credit for using a masts or bridge structure ? or a hull ?
Thanks JSB

Sorry for possibly derailing this thread, I have asked a q about this in GD.

Last edited by JSB on May 29th, 2014, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 29th, 2014, 7:29 pm
An entire hull, or, say 75% use of such, yes, that should be credited. I cannot say, however, for sure, how large (or small) a portion of a hull that would be the breaking point for not adding credits.

But, as always, if you're unsure, better err on the safe side! It wasn't like I was offended being included in the credits, right!? 8-) ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Oberon_706
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 30th, 2014, 3:05 am
Thanks so much all for your contributions (the Type 41 upgrade looks pretty neat JSB!) Its humbling to have so much interest shown in this.

Your respective contributions have caused me to have a serious think about 'Guardian Class' and the capabilities/length of service/engineering and hydrodynamic realities of what i'd originally proposed.
As such, taking all of your thoughts and recommendations/suggestions on board will be a bit of a lengthy process - so after this post the Guardian Class may be taking a back-seat for a while as i work through everything. I may even start from scratch and use Hood's original Daring class as a base for a better result in the long term.

In the mean time however - please have a glance at the following;

Firstly, FDS Hecla (Survey vessel/Hospital Ship) retained by the Royal Navy in the Hospital role post 1982 and transferred to the FDS in 1985. Served in peacetime with an international medical staff courtesy of international aid groups such as 'Mercy Ships' and 'Médecins Sans Frontières' (Doctors without Borders) as an exercise in 'soft' diplomacy by the Falklands Government and the FDS. The ship also conducted tri-annual cruises around the various territories conducting basic medical services and elective surgery functions in place of dedicated hospitals (which were only really available on the Falklands themselves or on the South American Mainland. (Further iterations of this ship showing changes during it's tenure will be added in the future)

[ img ]

Second, as a response mainly to the comments by acelancelot and others on the 28th/29th May (prior to the current suggestions surrounding Leanders',types 12/14/41/61 etc) Please see Version 3 of the Final Guardian Class upgrade.

[ img ]

You will note the seawolf system has moved forward of the bridge to the 'B' position, being replaced on the hanger roof by a goalkeeper CIWS and the exocet launcher has altered to enable placement on the fantail (made possible by the truncation of the helipad). The Towed VDS is gone (i have to find one that is more chronologically appropriate than a Thales CAPTAS-4!!), and whilst the deck space and placement remains in situ, the forward set of secondary 30mm guns is gone to partly offset the weight of seawolf and exocet. I've also made an effort to rework the masts so the ship isn't so top heavy - not sure if i've gone quite far enough yet though... I also have yet to address conserns about the hanger and aft superstructure being too large for the hull - but that will be a longer term process.

Thanks again for your thoughts - it's sincerely appreciated.

Cheers

[ img ]

DCFI (Falkland Islands) AU Nation

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 22  [ 216 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 622 »

Jump to: