Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 22  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 722 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 30th, 2014, 6:45 am
only one thing: the goalkeeper has quite a bit of deck penetration, and because of that won't fit there.

[Profile] [Quote]
Oberon_706
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: May 30th, 2014, 6:49 am
Thanks acelancelot - I'll put it on the 'things to rethink' list.

Cheers

[ img ]

DCFI (Falkland Islands) AU Nation

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 9:29 pm
If you don't mind, a type 14 upgrade option (twelve scraped in the 70s/80's, built/commissioned in 55-59 so later than the Daring class)
[ img ]
Using gas turbines (Exmouth was the RN test bed), 2x40mm(now 1 + rim72), homing torpedo's, flight deck, 2 RIBs.
This has a very light weapon/sensor load but if all you are really doing is policing why not ? (will Argentina be willing to sink 3 ships and have a real war ? that or go for a high/low mix with another high end ship [such as your guardian or a new build type 21/22/42 ?] or on shore aircraft/helicopters ?)
And it is cheap so should appeal to the Treasury.
JSB

(my only reservation is if I should give a limited AA capability, thinking about fitting a phalanx or a light weight missile but weight would mean I would probably have to swap it for the 40mms or at least one of them)

edited to add AA I went with (rim 72 Chaparral) as it would not need a director and thus may not blow the weight budget. (I know its not very good would Sea Cat or anything else be better ?)

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: June 3rd, 2014, 10:01 pm
What helicopter is this? Lynx? It looks like an AW149.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: June 3rd, 2014, 10:19 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
only one thing: the goalkeeper has quite a bit of deck penetration, and because of that won't fit there.
Actually, if the ship carries two helos, the Goalkeepr could fit, provided the hangar is split in two, and isn't one large space.

[Profile] [Quote]
Oberon_706
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: June 4th, 2014, 12:52 am
Wow - seriously JSB any more awesome posts like that and we're going to have to discuss joint authorship of this AU - very pragmatic and plausible solution to be sure. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

'Odysseus1980' - yes the chopper is a AW149, as part of of the AU I'm looking to create a Lynx Wildcat/AW149 hybrid aircraft as the FDS' main ship-borne ASW asset. It will change a little from what you can see here, but not too greatly.

More contributions from my end coming later today so stay tuned.

Cheers

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Oberon_706
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: June 4th, 2014, 2:23 am
Ok, slight change of pace - I've decided to put the ships on the back-burner for a little while and explore the Air Forces of my AU.

Firstly;

[ img ]

Maritime Patrol and Recon assets (note that the aircraft shown don't necessarily operate at the same chronological time (i.e. P-1 replaces SeaMaster as primary MPA/ASW asset in 2009).

[ img ]

Fighter/Attack aircraft, Trainers and AWACs. (there will be significant improvements to this as new aircraft are sought by the FDS to supersede the Harriers and Jaguars)

Enjoy!

Cheers

[ img ]

Last edited by Oberon_706 on June 4th, 2014, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: June 4th, 2014, 2:45 am
Minor point - That is an E-3D Sentry, not an E-2C Hawkeye.

[Profile] [Quote]
Oberon_706
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: June 4th, 2014, 3:14 am
Haha yes i saw that right after i posted - was originally going to be Hawkeye's for AWACs support but i changed my mind.

All fixed now.

Cheers

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Preliminary thread for a future Falkland Islands AUPosted: June 4th, 2014, 7:17 am
Love the LAD aircraft ;)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 22  [ 216 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 722 »

Jump to: