Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Greater French RepublicPosted: April 8th, 2014, 2:34 am
klagldsf wrote:
The trend has always been towards smaller islands for a variety of reasons. If you're going to insist on that setup you can justify two separate islands.
If this trend does exist the QEs, Mistrals and Juan Carlos family is bucking it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Greater French RepublicPosted: April 8th, 2014, 2:49 am
Well, two of those aren't true aircraft carriers (as any Australian will bemoan to you), the QE's I have no iota about but I believe with the JC and Mistral its as they are quite small ships but carry disproportional islands to fit all the roles they are expected to serve in.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Greater French RepublicPosted: April 8th, 2014, 3:17 am
If they are not carriers then only the US has carriers. The Juan Carlos near in tonnage to both the Cavour and Charles de Gaulle while carrying slightly more or less aircraft, including fixed wing aircraft, and is purpose built to assume Spain's carrier roles as a primary mission. Granted Jan Carlos is limited to VSTOL, but so are plenty of other euro fashion flat tops that we call carriers.

More accurately Juan Carlos is not JUST a carrier. Ships like this are only meaningfully distanced from the carrier name in a navy like the USN where there is a non trivial difference in aviation capabilities of an amphib and a dedicated aviation vessel. In that vein I don't think anyone would deny the America-class is a aircraft carrier even by American standards, yet we routinely one officially call it an amphib. It just depends on the context I guess.

Last edited by Shipright on April 8th, 2014, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Greater French RepublicPosted: April 8th, 2014, 3:25 am
VictorCharlie wrote:

I was copying the Hyuga class mostly, but I might have made them a bit bigger.

What do you mean my set-up though?
The Hyuga is a helicopter carrier, a smaller vessel and the island is still consequently much, much smaller than what you have now. You might want to look at what the QEII has.

[Profile] [Quote]
VictorCharlie
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Greater French RepublicPosted: June 12th, 2014, 5:40 am
Its been a bit since I last posted these and I've done some pretty good (In my own, flawed opinion) changes in my navy.

[ img ]

anti-sub/surface ship

[ img ]

air defense ship

Also the carrier has vastly improved as well.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
VictorCharlie
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Greater French RepublicPosted: June 20th, 2014, 7:23 am
[ img ]

Ships over 100 meters are overrated.

The hull feels to modern for the era it was to be fielded in.

Its supposed to be a modernized ship, which explains the automated Mistral launcher, and a few other 'modern' details.

[ img ]

I made a more 'modern', slightly lengthened hull, however it feels to shallow for how top-heavy it is.

I also don't like the mast, but I know I can make it allot better.

[ img ]
[ img ]

Two little projects of mine, I don't like the thought of using cruisers for my RP'd nation, though the thought of a helicopter carrier operating in places were carrier would be to pricey, to dangerous, or just to much in general sounds nice.

However it just gives me another ship I need to defend from enemy attacks, as such a ship would logically attract some attention.

[Profile] [Quote]
VictorCharlie
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Greater French RepublicPosted: June 27th, 2014, 8:08 am
[ img ]

Decided to shorten it and spruce it up a bit.

Removed some useless stuff and I think it looks a little cute. I have a strong attraction to designs from the 1960s to 1990s though.

The Crotale launcher feels to much for the rear, and I might simply remove the hanger and put the launcher in its place. Or remove the Crotale launcher and give it a Mistral launcher. Or remove both and replace it with something else and throw a Mistral launcher somewhere on it.

Has a better 100mm gun. I used the dimensions of the 100mm gun on the massive part ship dump thread and simply did my own details inside.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Greater French RepublicPosted: June 27th, 2014, 8:29 am
Few things

Might want to move the mast forwards to it isn't in the Funnels space as the aft radar would be fried by the heat from the exhaust plume.

*Give the 100mm mount so more room by moving it forwards 2-3m

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
VictorCharlie
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Greater French RepublicPosted: June 27th, 2014, 10:01 am
Ah, thank you.

I moved the mount a few pixels forward, however I based it off a French design which had the mount very close to the super structure as well.

[ img ]

Also an added bonus, I removed that old propeller that everyone hates.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Greater French RepublicPosted: June 27th, 2014, 9:33 pm
I would maybe look at either lowering the superstructure a bit or increasing the draft/hull height, but overall looking pretty good.

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: