Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 8  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: July 10th, 2014, 9:32 pm
Unfortunately neither myself nor Gollevainen can delete anything on your Dropbox. ;) I would recommend using MajHost until you're able to fix DB.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: July 11th, 2014, 8:24 am
Great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: July 14th, 2014, 4:26 am
Did rework on all three.
Going to leave it at that. Take it or leave it.
These are, however, infinitely more accurate than Karle94's "Northampton", which, BTW, is not even the name-ship at all! Karle would've been wise to check more these drawings before drawing his...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: July 14th, 2014, 8:29 am
your main hull colour still has different colour blobs around the windows, mostly. try colour your hull a different colour and see what is left grey.
a few lines on the floatplanes are not entirely black.
the sb logo is blurred
the bulb still looks like an hammerhead shark, the hull shading is way too dark/light
I also still cannot understand the hull shading, what rule and reference have you used to shade and determine the shape?

btw, that northampton from karle94, isn't that an AU version which should not be accurate with the real world versions? or have I missed his drawing of the real life northampton class?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: July 14th, 2014, 12:32 pm
Well, ace, that's what I thought - till he dragged it into this thread, claiming some kind of accuracy. That's where I put my foot down and simply said it' s not accurate!
Now, I did go over all three versions the way you've suggested, and I did, indeed notice those things vi missed before, so there ought not to be any such areas left.
As for the semi- bulbous bow. On photographs it is clearly visible, and I've tried to represent it thus. Ace, you may have a more sophisticated system with which you work, so how would you suggest I color it?
As for the other details, well, I can recheck those again. The logo stymies me somewhat though, since I've simply used an original SB-template with it on. That's odd then...
Oh, you did comment on the rather sharp lines of the hull, and I think you refer to the aft floatplane, am I right?
Well, here their lines are fairly sharp and accentuated, with a long, prominent flute running along the top of their shaft lines, ending in a curvature just at the hull break aft. To represent this most accurately, how would you suggest I do? Also, the hull lines abaft it, in the shaft-area are fine and deep. Any suggestions there then? I'm all eyes!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: July 14th, 2014, 12:55 pm
I just relooked at that post, but he dragged it in the thread purely for the colour scheme.

well it is just that the shading is showing nothing like any real underwater hull. first step would be to tone the contrasts down. second, think about what angles are represented how. because right now you have shading under overhangs, 45 degrees shading and some errors in that as it is. the mix of all that makes it plain wrong. there are also some bobbles (for example just in front of the bilge keel) that, if present in an hull, would make a bend in that position.

if you have good references but cannot work out how to shade it, get me a lineplan or something like that and I work it into the hull shading tutorial/help I am working on and return to you with it soon.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: July 14th, 2014, 1:11 pm
Thank you, ace, for your advice. I take it that we are still only referring to the underwater hull, right?

Now, one issue I do have, is the lack of more sophisticated drawing tools. Also my work station monitor (a mere 12") is rather old, and my not be helpful in correctly representing shades as I desire. The Pennsylvanias I did mainly on my work computer (after work, mind you!), so getting those colors right was not that difficult.
Alas, though, ace, I've found no line plan online for the Northamptons, so shading is exclusively based on photos, more particularly yard photos and on official or semi-official models of the Houston and Chicago.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: July 14th, 2014, 1:18 pm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236106

Monitors are super cheap. No one should be using a 12" monitor these days. Get that ASUS monitor, or look at the many options available on Newegg (a great site with fast shipping and excellent customer service). Also, if you're ever down in the Austin area, you can also check the Fry's Electronics off Parmer - they have lots of great deals for monitors. ;)

Having a nice, large monitor is almost a necessity these days. You'll thank me later. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: July 14th, 2014, 1:33 pm
in addition, it is near impossible to do good underwater hull shading from pictures. the shading on karle's variation is much more acceptable, btw.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: July 14th, 2014, 1:52 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Did'd know they still produced a 20" screens to this days. I use twin 26" Asus and those cost me a little over $600 here in Norway. But then that computer is build for gaming!

I would recommend a screen no smaller than 23". It give you a bit more space on screen, but you also see more of the drawing. then this one might be better:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236305

One recomendation, when shopping on web. It's often best to buy any things, since they often share the transport fee.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 8  [ 76 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »

Jump to: