Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 22  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 522 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 12:47 pm
A new addition, the M3. Full text description can be found on p.1.

[ img ]
Design M3 1920

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 1:12 pm
awesome! keep giving that information with your drawings, they all go straight into my reference table :P (btw, do you have more weight values for the ships, like total arnament, armour, machinery and hull weights? anything additional is welcome ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 1:30 pm
What's that indentation on the underwater hull forward of the main guns?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 2:44 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 3:25 pm
Sterling work here, Hood.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 6:03 pm
[quote="Hood"]The number 2 or 3 denoted the number of barrels the turrets had. [quote]

In the description of M3 you give the armament as 3x2. Were they supposed to be twins or triples. I thought the number in the series denoted the number of guns per turret, or is it the number of turrets per design?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 9:11 pm
Thiel wrote:
If I had to guess, 24" TTs?

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 9:16 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
Thiel wrote:
If I had to guess, 24" TTs?
I had thought the same.

keep it up Hood, top class work as usual. :)

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 9:32 pm
I wonder, why 24'' and not the IIRC standard 21"?

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 10:40 pm
Some notes from NJM Campbell's 4 part article on these designs in Warship 1 to 4:
The drawings from K,L to G3 all show "submerged torpedo rooms" in that marked position forward of A turret. None of them specify the size of the torpedoes. The written descriptions refer to "two submerged torpedo tubes" until discussing the changes during 1921 towards the final G3 design, when Campbell says "The torpedo armament was to have been two 21 inch submerged torpedo tubes at the end of February 1921, but in April 24.5inch torpedoes with provision for 1000lb explosive charges if needed at a later date, had replaced the 21inch." and later "The two submerged tubes for the 24.5inch torpedoes were generally similar to the Baden's 23.6 inch" ... "The peacetime outfit was six torpedoes per tube, increased to eight in war" [Baden was scuttled at Scapa, but boarded by RN sailors and run aground before she could sink. She was refloated in July 1919, towed to Invergordon and carefully examined.]
Following the same timescale, M3 was considered in December 1920 and chosen over M2 as the basis for future battleships, being developed into N3, abandoned at sketch design stage at the end of 1921. Strictly speaking, M2 and M3 would have 21inch torpedoes, while the specification for the later N3 had two 24.5inch TT like G3. [RN's initial intention to order 1 battlecruiser and 3 battleships in 1921 was replaced by orders for four G3 battlecruisers in October 1921, to be followed by four N3s in 1922]
WWI 21inch torpedoes had a warhead charge of about 500lb. The Mk VII and Mk VIII torpedoes introduced in the mid 1920s had 740 or 750lb charges, so 1000lb was a significant increase in 1921.
M3 had three triple turrets as Hood said on p1, the 3 referring to barrels per turret. Hood's 3x2 was a typo.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 22  [ 215 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 522 »

Jump to: