Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 25th, 2014, 6:52 pm
Hello again!

As requested by Hood and DG Alpha: Germaniawerft Design No.803 for Royal Dutch Navy 1914

[ img ]

Next in line are two ships ordered in Germany by the Hellenic Navy; both will go here as well.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 25th, 2014, 7:22 pm
A direct link to the German Baden class is evident here.
Superb job Garlicdesign!

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm
Great job, looking forward to more!

[Profile] [Quote]
Navarchos
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 25th, 2014, 10:42 pm
Great Drawing!!!...maybe RHNS Salamis next?

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 26th, 2014, 4:05 am
Nice!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 26th, 2014, 7:28 am
Yea, nice to see it in this section too, and I adjoin our greek friends with wishes for Salamis next :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 26th, 2014, 8:47 am
Thanks Garlicdesign. This is stunning work.

I wonder how well these ships would have fared in service. German ships were noted for their cramped conditions, being designed for shorter duration operations and accommodations ashore etc. When you compare this to, say, Royal Sovereign, she looks quite short and short on space. I'm not sure there would have fared well on voyages to and from the DEI and tropical conditions. The high casemates and decent freeboard would have been good assets and a lot of the hull is under armour too. Not a bad design, but probably one that is still too focused on European operations.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:07 am
Fantastic work Garlic! Were these simply proposals, or ordered by the Dutch Navy and never built?

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 26th, 2014, 2:47 pm
Trojan, see:
http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/battleshipplan_1912.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_1913 ... p_proposal
and the references in the latter (especially van Dijk)

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 26th, 2014, 6:13 pm
Hello again!

@Hood:
She would likely have been considerably more comfortable than other German ships of that era. I know Springsharp is a blunt instrument, but when I entered her data, I came up with a structural strength of 1,07, indicating a ship with some weight and space surplus; the full length weatherdeck would also have helped. In addition, they were oil-burners, reducing crew requirements. I don't see why habitability would not be up to British standards. How they would have fared in battle is something else; their protective level was no better than that of SMS Von der Tann, and German 350mm guns fired lighter projectiles than British (and thus Japanese) ones. They might have taken on the Kongos with some chance of success, but against contemporary Japanese battleships they would likely have been dead meat. But good-looking...

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: